1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Nov. 23 Polls & BCS Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Nov 23, 2008.

1. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

AP Top 25 just released
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

AP Top 25
    1. Alabama (63) 11-0 1,622
    2. Florida (2) 10-1 1,512
    3. Oklahoma 10-1 1,486
    4. Texas 10-1 1,482
    5. USC 9-1 1,352
    6. Penn State 11-1 1,238
    7. Texas Tech 10-1 1,212
    8. Utah 12-0 1,206
    9. Boise State 11-0 1,064
    10. Ohio State 10-2 1,043
    11. Oklahoma State 9-2 997
    12. Missouri 9-2 917
    13. Georgia 9-2 874
    14. TCU 10-2 750
    15. Ball State 11-0 731
    16. Cincinnati 9-2 640
    17. Oregon State 8-3 604
    18. Georgia Tech 8-3 339
    19. Oregon 8-3 320
    20. Boston College 8-3 309
    20. Brigham Young 10-2 309
    22. Michigan State 9-3 274
    23. Florida State 8-3 214
    24. Northwestern 9-3 145
    25. OLE MISS 0-0 127

Others Receiving Votes
    West Virginia 120, Pittsburgh 108, Iowa 54, LSU 35, California 11, Tulsa 8, WESTRN MICHIGAN 8, South Carolina 5, CENTRL MICHIGAN 5, Connecticut 2, Nebraska 1, Rice 1.

Dropped From Rankings
    LSU 18, Pittsburgh 20, Maryland 22, Miami (FL) 23, North Carolina 25.

2. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

meh, as long as Tech is above Utah, I am happy. But Florida should not be #2, they lost to friggin Ole Miss. It should be UT or OU without a doubt.

3. astros148

astros148 Member

why do u post the AP polls? They dont count matter

4. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

he posts all the polls as they come out

5. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

They may not count matter but they indicate matter.

6. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

7. Major

Major Member

The Sagarin poll used in the BCS is different - it's the ELO-Chess rankings from that site. The poll is:

1. Texas
    2. Texas Tech (oddly enough)
    3. Alabama
    4. Oklahoma

That will likely reverse itself next week if OU beats OSU but I guess Tech has a slightly better schedule so far.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'll eat my crow -- I was completely wrong with how human voters would interpret OU's win. Not only does OU jump Texas in the Coaches, but they jump Florida as well to move to No. 2.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

OU with a very healthy 42 point lead over UT. I think it'll trim some next week, when voters do more of a season evaluation, and the Harris poll will likely be more favorable to UT... but it's going to be really, really close.

9. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I don't think you were wrong about how they would interpret an OU win because nobody expected such a blowout. A closer game would have given a much closer vote to what you predicted.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lol here I go again...
    But! Florida looks far and away the best team over the past 6 or so weeks. It really doesn't matter where Florida is ranked its all on the SEC championship game anyway.

The national championship should either be...
    FLA vs Bama (again)
    or
    Oregon State vs Utah (again) mwuhaahahha
    They need to find a way to put a Big 12 team into the Rosebowl to play Penn State over a Pac 10 team. Like when Texas played Michigan.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Honestly, I suspicioned that a blowout might not be such a bad thing, because it would totally devalue Tech in the three-team equation.

I still think, just like with Michigan/Florida in 2006, that there will be some changes this week that will be favorable to UT. Voters have gotten better about taking a second look and making an overall season evaluation in their final polls. Computers should slightly favor UT, even after OU plays OSU, but it's going to be close.

12. Major

Major Member

I don't think 42 votes in a poll with 61 voters is insurmountable, though not ideal. Ignoring all the other teams, it basically means that 10 voters have Texas ahead and 50 have OU ahead.

If the Harris poll is a bit closer, then Texas needs, then what's going to be really important will be if Utah or Florida or anyone else can stay wedged between Texas and OU in the computers. If Texas can be a consensus #2 and OU a consensus #4, I think Texas would go. If OU is kind of at 3.5 or something, that makes it more complicated. Also important will be how Texas, OU, and Florida all look this weekend, because there could be some reshuffling of all 3 of those teams in the polls.

13. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Wow. Texas may actually get the shaft after all.

14. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

This really sucks. Its like that feeling where you know you bombed an exam and you are trying to stay optimistic, but when you go to look at your grade online you get that crappy sinking feeling and sure enough you failed.

15. Major

Major Member

No one's going to get shafted. Texas is in a 3-way tie for their conference where you're down to the 5th tiebreaker, which the B12 could have had decided on the field (margin of victory in common opponents or something like that), but chose to put in the hands of the voters. What this basically means is that B12 determined they had no good way to determine who's better, so they will make it a subjective evaluation. (on a sidenote, if they wanted H2H to matter in that scenario, the rule could easily have been to eliminate the lowest ranked BCS team and then repeat all the tiebreakers, where H2H would have then been the determining factor.)

The voters' job is to determine who they think are the best teams based on the full body of work, not just one game. And there are plenty of legitimate arguments for both OU and Texas as the better team.

16. Tuan

Tuan Member

Texas is getting shafted period if OU goes on to play in the Big 12 Championship and the national championship. There are good arguments for both side, but the bottom line is Texas beat OU on a neutral field. Looking at the schedule of both teams and what they have done thus far, we can make a case for either, so I will call it a draw. Whatever argument you make, Texas beat them on the field. You play each other for a reason.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Cosigned. OU had their chance to prove they were a better team then Texas in the most important place....on the field head-to-head....and the failed.

18. Major

Major Member

The B12 and NCG are two different things. For the B12, the non-conf schedule isn't really part of who should win the B12 South. And for that discussion, you have to include Tech, as they have the same resume as Texas and OU, unless you start including style points (Tech getting blown out). If you do include style points, then you have to consider OU blowing out Tech (and potentially OSU). These teams are all a wash for the B12 discussion.

For the NCG, if OU wins the B12, they will have the better resume - they will have all of Texas' wins (substituting Tech for OU) plus wins over top-15 TCU and Cinci. If Texas wins the B12, we will have the better resume - all of OU's wins plus Mizzou twice instead of TCU/Cinci. Either way, the team with the better resume will go.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If you are trying to determine which team is better between OU and Texas, there is only one factor, the game in which they met on a nuetral field.

Texas won, end of story.

DD

20. Major

Major Member

Nonsense. So Tech is better than Texas? And OU is better than Tech? And Texas is better than OU?