1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Nov. 23 Polls & BCS Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Major

Major Member

Wait - you're saying OU/Texas are equal so head-to-head should matter in the polls, but Tech *because they are behind in the polls* should not be above Texas in the polls despite the head-to-head? That doesn't make sense. If you're going to argue that the teams have identical records so the head-to-head winner should be ahead, then Tech *should* be in the equation, regardless if they are or not.

If we're arguing what should be, then Tech should be in the mix. If the logic doesn't apply for Tech/Texas, there's no reason it should apply for Texas/OU. The logic that is being used for Tech/Texas is that Tech lost most recently (they would be behind Texas even if they had lost by 1). That also happens to be why OU is above Texas. The earlier the loss, the better.

2. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

Tech got 1 offensive td in the 2nd half which was that last second catch. I mean good job Tech, but if UT hadnt come out with their pants down in the 1st quarter its a different game.

3. Major

Major Member

Yes, but Tech's non-conf schedule is so weak they would be solidly behind Texas in the computers and wouldn't be able to make that up in the polls. As long as OU loses a game, Texas is in the national title game at this point (assuming they don't lose to A&M).

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Texas had the opportunity to show they were better than Tech when they played.

Texas lost, end of story.

We can beat this thing to death, and at the end of the day, there will be no clear winner.

If Texas wanted to truly control their own destiny, and have ultimate claim to the title game berth, they should have taken care of business in Lubbock.

5. Major

Major Member

6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I do not understand the logic that I keep hearing of OU being a better team now than they were when UT beat them. I remember everyone hyping up OU as being great (they were ranked #1!!) as justifiably so.

Scores before UT game:

Chattanooga W 57-2
    Cincinnati W 52-26
    at Washington W 55-14
    No. 24 TCU W 35-10
    at Baylor W 49-17

Scores after UT game:

No. 16 Kansas W 45-31
    at Kansas State W 58-35
    Nebraska W 62-28
    at Texas A&M W 66-28
    No. 2 Texas Tech W 65-21

Judging by the scores alone, it seems like they have had closer games since UT, if you really want to get picky about it.

OU is a great football team, no question about it. And they have taken care of business in every game... except one. The loss to the team currently ranked right below them. They were playing great before the game in Dallas, and they have been playing great since then. Hell, anyone who watched the game would say that they played great against UT. UT just played better.

I just don't understand the "OU is a better team now" argument at all. I will be the first to admit that I am a UT homer, but I still don't understand the logic here. It's not like we are Ole Miss or Oregon State trying to justify why we are the better team than the one that we beat. We are ONE spot behind them in the standings, and have very, very similar resumes.

Oh well, Hook 'em Horns. Destroy A&M on Thanksgiving first, then we can talk about what should happen next.

7. Fatty FatBastard

Texas needs OU to lose next week period. Then you need Tech to lose in the Big XII championship.

That is the only road UT has to get into the NC.

Like it or not, it's the truth.

EDIT: Sorry, that is the only way to guarantee you're in. If OU loses the Big XII championship, it could be a coin toss to decide if UT goes.

Regardless, UT's hopes of winning the Big XII are dashed.

8. Anticope

Anticope Member

It's seriously as if people don't fully comprehend the three-way tie. All three of these teams are 1-1 against each other so head-to-head matchups should NOT be the deciding factor. I think the best way to then look at it is which one of the teams had the most impressive victory against the other and, hands down, it has to be Oklahoma. People will counter with "well UT beat OU on a neutral field and OU got tech at home blah blah," but I seriously don't think it matters whether the game last night had been played in Norman, Lubbock or on Neptune, OU flat out beat down tech.

The funny irony in all of this is that people want to take Tech out of the discussion because they got destroyed, but uh, which one of the teams involved in the tie-breaker took made Tech look like a high school team?

9. Major

Major Member

The problem is the "judging by the scores alone" part.

vs. Tech, OU was up 42-7 at the end of the first half. Against A&M, it was 28-0 early 2nd quarter. Against Nebraska, it was 35-0 at the end of the 1st quarter. Against K-State, it was 28-7 in the 1st quarter, and then 55-28 at half time. Kansas was the only remotely interesting game in the bunch.

Watching the games, they've been far more impressive than those final scores indicate. They have absolutely crushed teams early and then just kind of played the games out.

10. Major

Major Member

No it's not. Texas almost definitely goes to the national title game even if Tech were to win the Big 12, even if Tech is consensus voted above Texas. This is due to Tech's horrible non-conf schedule and its effect on the computers.

Again, not true. If OU loses the B12 championship game, Texas is definitely in. Tech would be behind in both the computers and the polls, and OU is out due to 2 losses.

11. yo

yo Contributing Member

I was more wondering about Florida-Alabama. When one of them loses in the SEC game, is it possible that both stay at 1-2, assuming that's where both of them are going into the SEC game?

12. Fatty FatBastard

I responded in the other thread on this. You could be correct, but I don't think it's a shoe-in for UT. After this season, I'd think you'd be hard pressed to not have the Big XII champion in the NC.

Again, you could be correct, but it is debatable. We will see what happens.

Regardless, I told all of you that OU would leapfrog you if they won out, so we all need to root for the Cowboys next week.

EDIT: And I will still say UT is a better team than us. We play 10 times this year, I see UT winning 7 of 10. But we were the better team this year in that game.

13. Major

Major Member

No - Texas is already equal to Alabama and ahead of Florida in the computers. There's no way a 2-loss Florida or a 1-loss Alabama could stay ahead of Texas at this point, even if the voters put them #1/#2. The B12 teams all have a huge advantage over the SEC teams in the computers.

14. Major

Major Member

If it was just up to the voters, I'd agree with you. But my point is that it won't matter what the voters do - the differential in the computers will likely be too much. There's no way to voters to overcome that unless they suddenly dropped Texas down several spots being Utah, USC and Penn State for no reason.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

What does Tech's result in the Big 12 title game have to do with anything? Do you seriously think they're going to move Tech past UT if they beat Missouri? That cupcake schedule is going to doom them, period. Like it or not, it's the truth.

Don't think that Baylor is going to layover to Tech. I think they're going to give them a very tough game...especially if Tech can't recover from yesterday's pasting. Same goes for UT. This game is the Ags entire season. Win @ UT, knocking them out of any hopes for a NC and of a BCS game, and aTm can consider it a successful season.

16. Major

Major Member

This is also debatable right now. Texas/OU is going to be very close today, but there's a decent chance that Texas is still ahead in today's BCS standings. A lot of will come down to how OU and Texas look this coming week, and how the computers fit teams like Utah and Florida in - if they sit between Texas and OU, Texas likely makes it. If OU closes the gap, then OU likely makes it. Everyone's focusing on the polls, but the computers are going to be a major factor here.

17. Fatty FatBastard

It's not about this week. It's about next week. Unless you beat A&M 100-0, an OU win will certainly place them ahead.

I feel a youtube-a-thon coming on...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOyBXHvDMII&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vOyBXHvDMII&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

You watch. Texas will be #2 in the BCS today. OU will have ground to make up next week. If OU creams OSU and Texas loses or looks sloppy versus A&M--I am confident OU will be ahead of the 3 way tie. Anything else, if Texas looks like a championship caliber team versus A&M, it is up for grabs between Texas and OU. Again OU will have ground to make up most likely.

As for Tech, they are done from the NT picture. On top of being way back in human poll rankings from a number of one loss teams, they have the weakest conference schedule and non-conference schedule in the Big12S. Adding a Mizzou victory in the Big 12 game won't get Tech in the NC unless Texas and OU both lose next week (and they might not catch USC anyway).

That is the wrong question. The question is whether a 1-loss Florida can get by OU and Texas in the BCS rankings (assuming those teams win out). The possible scenario for an all conference NC is the Big12. Say is Auburn beats Bama, taking luster off Florida beating Bama, could well happen, because Florida has to be well ahead of Texas and OU in the human polls because they will be behind in the computers. There is no way a 1 loss Bama (splitting in anyway to Florida and Auburn) makes the NC, unless Texas or OU lose.

19. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Not necc. If OU squeaks by OSU and Texas looks like a champion against A&M I like Texas chances. Texas probably only needs to split the human polls because Texas will win most comp polls with OU assuming they win out (Unless some comb. of Mizz loses to Kansas, CU loses to NU, Cincy wins, Rice loses, Utep loses, UCF loses, etc, upgrading OUs strength of schedule to that of UTs)

20. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

When does the BCS come out this week? I went to their site and it says Tech is still #2, but that can't be right.