1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Nov. 23 Polls & BCS Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Nov 23, 2008.

1. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

By that logic, Mississippi is better than Florida because they beat them in Gainesville. If Texas blew out OU, UT would have a strong argument. It's not as simple as, "we beat them so we're better".

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I was about to post a similar statement.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes it is, it was decided on the field...Texas is better, all the other arguments have conditions.

There are no conditions as to win they played.

Tech beat Texas at home on a last second TD
    OU beat Tech at home.
    UT beat OU on a nuetral field.

Which is the most impressive win of those 3? Hint: It ain't winning a home game.

Truthfully, the 2 best teams in college football IMO, are OU and Texas, the rest are pretenders.

Florida is overated and has been playing a bunch of garbage, the SEC is vastly overated this year....heck Troy had LSU down by almost 30 at the half....come on.

DD

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I have no horse in the Big 12 race, but I love people that make arguments that they think are "iron clad," but when someone points out that their logic is flawed, they simply say "BUT I'M RIGHT!!!!"

I hope Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma. Then we'll still have a contingency of Texas fans saying they should still go to the championship game.

5. DaDakota

I hope that happens to, becuase UT would go to the NC game in that scenario if they beat A&M.

DD

6. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Are you serious?

Does he really need to state the obvious condition of both teams having the same record?

Texas beats OU on a neutral field, in an environment as equal as you can get in a football game.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I want some of this neautral field action.

8. Tuan

Tuan Member

Major,

Like I said earlier, there are many valid points to both side of the argument. However, when you have two teams with identical records, how could you place one team ahead of another when they lost to the other team?

In this situation, Tech is not part of the equation because they are obviously down on all the polls.

9. SirCharlesFan

Utah is getting the shaft in these human polls. They were ranked higher than Penn State last week, beat a higher ranked team, yet Penn State jumps them in a poll. This is the type of crap that annoys me. I have no allegiance to either Utah or Penn State, but it shows you that there are a lot of frauds out there voting exclusively on name value.

I don't love the computers, but I don't understand why people hate them so much. You take the "emotion" and bonus votes that traditional powers get out of the equation when you use a mathematical formula.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Even Though they lost to a Superior Texas Tech Team????
    using your logic

Rocket River

11. DaDakota

My logic is that Tech got lucky against UT.......

Tech getting blown out like that proves that they are a fluke, which of course I knew by them barely beating Nebraska.

UT vs OU would be the best NC scenario...those are the 2 best teams hands down.

DD

12. SirCharlesFan

LOL...

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Like UT got Lucky against OU?

LMAO

DADA = Homer Extrordinaire!!!

Rocket River

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Tech is no fluke. They have only lost one game. And they destroyed an Okie State team Texas struggled with. The also destroyed a decent Kansas team on the road. They also beat us for 3 quarters and ran up lover 500 yards on us. Yes, they are not as good as OU and played a really crappy game in all phases (and OU put the pedal to the mettle full knowing impression matters)--it happens.

I think Texas will sweep the computers and thus be ahead of OU this week. Next week it will be trickier if they all win out. It may depend on Mizz, Cincy, CU-NU, Rice, UTEP, FAU, etc, if OU has some of these games break their way I could see some (but probably the minority) computer polls breaking their way.

It is not as simple as "UT beat OU and thus should be ahead of them" because Tech did beat Texas and has the same record--a true 3 way tie.

IMO you have pretty much equal arguments for Texas and OU assuming they and Tech win next week. If you argue head to head for Texas vs OU, you have the same argument for Tech vs Texas. If they had a rule like using the lowest BCS ranking to eliminate the 3rd place team, and then going with head-to-head for the next two, Texas would be fine, but that is not the scenario.

Between UT and OU assuming they and Tech win out.
    The case for Texas. The have the highest quality opponent victory (OU). They have a tougher conference schedule (with Mizzou in the rotation). They lose only because 2 strange plays go against them (if either one doesn't happen Texas wins). Their non-conference opponents have a better cumulative
    record.

The case for OU. They have the most impressive victory (Tech). They have had fewer close games. They have the two highest quality non-conference wins (TCU & Cincy) among all Big12 teams.

I have said before, I wouldn't be happy about it, but IF OU smokes OSU and Texas struggles at all with A&M, I have no problem with the case for OU as the Big12S Rep given the rules in place. If OU then goes and beats Mizzou, they have as good case as any 1 loss team. In this case OU would have handled Tech, at OSU, and (semi-home) Mizzou, very impressive (not like either OSU or Mizz is a sure thing).

Regardless there is a lot of football to be played relevant to Texas (in addition to UT and OU differential opponents).

1st thing 1st, Texas needs to look like a great team versus A&M. That alone might enough.

But if it isn't, if either Baylor or OSU, wins Texas is sitting pretty. If OSU wins there is no way Tech can catch up to Texas even if they represent B12S & beat Mizzou. Tech would still be behind Texas in the computers, and I think the bombing they took would stay in human voters minds. If Texas does represent the Big12S (if Baylor wins where OU loses the tiebreaker), they would move well ahead of OU in the computers by beating Mizzou, and likely with humans too (though the next scenario is still possible).

And one not that far fetched scenario is OU and UT have a rematch. Florida has to play at FSU and Bama vs Auburn. Those are not far fetched upsets, and could take the wind out of the SEC winner. A one loss Bama has no chance, and Florida has to stay well ahead in the human polls because they will lose on schedule (and computers) versus both UT and OU. Taking the glamour of beating an undefeated Bama leaves Florida no quality wins comparable to Texas or OU and their conference doesn't test as strong--if voters at all start splitting among UF, OU and UT, Florida could be in trouble.

Should be an interesting next two weeks.

#34 Desert Scar, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  15. yo

yo Contributing Member

Not true. If OSU beats OU, then that leaves Texas and Tech as the only 1-loss teams in the South - Tech would go to the NC game since they beat Texas, assuming both win out.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Laugh all you want, but IMO most voters no longer see Tech being in the same class as UT or OU after last night's drubbing. I still think that at the end of the yr voters will say UT lost on the last play to Tech and beat OU....therefore they are the better team.

17. yo

yo Contributing Member

And no. Tech did not get lucky vs UT. UT trailed the entire game up until the last minute and a half, and UT couldn't keep that lead in the short amount of time they had it. Tech moved the ball at will, and their defense flat out outplayed UT's O-line.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If OU loses to OSU and Tech and Texas win out, Tech would go to the Big 12 championship game, but regardless of that outcome Texas would go to the NC game.

19. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Texas outplayed OU over the course of a 60 minute football game. Tech needed a minor miracle to beat Texas in the end at home.

Yet, you think Texas was lucky to beat OU? C'mon.

The fact that Texas was the only team to NOT have a home game in this round robin should give them an advantage, but the average college football fan and straight-up Texas haters don't want to acknowledge this.

20. yo

yo Contributing Member

Do conference championship games affect BCS rankings?