1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NCAA Football] Nov. 23 Polls & BCS Rankings

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by King of 40 Acres, Nov 23, 2008.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I don't know how this thing will play out but I assure you that when the clock hits 00:00 on Thanksgiving and Texas has won the game, expect the biggest PR campaign ever mounted out of Belmont. Remember college football is also a buisness.

Might also get Political ala 1969. ...Ohhh the irony if it does.

[​IMG]

2. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

Stop trying. Seriously, stop.

3. Anticope

Anticope Member

The story of the game was that OU was able to get pressure and harass Graham Harrell and on the flip side Tech had no answers for the OU offense. The OU crowd was pretty into the game and that helped but I believe the story would have been the same in Lubbock. It might have made the game a little bit closer, but IMO it still would have been a convincing OU win @ Tech.

4. RedRaiderRocket

And you are who?

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

wasn't our win over missouri pretty much as impressive as what ou just did to tech? i think it was 35-0 before missouri crossed midfield. people keep talking like texas doesn't have an asskicking on it's resume. and we've beaten all of the patsies we've play fairly handily as well (beat kansas worse than ou did).

sure we don't get up 28-0 in the first quarter like ou (they've averaged 46 points at halftime the last 4 games!), but we have an offense based on short passing, so we don't tend to run it up on the patsies quite as quick, but their explosiveness advantage didn't end up getting them the win versus us so it's hard to give them extra credit just for getting past 60 each game. it's not like 60-20 is somehow way better than 45-15.

it's all extremely close but we have a similar asskicking against a good team, similarly competitive non-common opponents, no close games against bad teams, and our loss is better than their loss. at the end of the day, i think the head to head should give us a small advantage, just like head to head has always given ou an advantage over us in the polls in the past.

6. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

Texas needs to dominate aggy Thursday night in front of a national audience. OU needs to win in Stillwater but only by less than a Touchdown.

Anything else would be uncivilized.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Off subject, but in my recollection OU regularly had 1 or 2 blitzers rush Harrell in addition to the base 4 rushers (I did not see if some of those DLs occasionally covered, e.g., zone blitzes). And that Texas blitzed irregularly and not very disguised when the did. Am I correct, and if so this doesn't look great for the Head Coach in waiting, no? Or did Texas do more of this 2nd half when they got better bearings on Tech's offense (save the last drive when they went passive again)?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

How about this.

Auburn beats Alabama......then Bama beats Florida.

OU beats OKSU.....then Mizzou.

OU vs Texas for the National championship.

DD

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - go back and read the thread during the game, I was screaming for him to do this.

DD

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i have no idea if that would work out that way or not...but OU v. Texas in the national championship game would be off the charts amazing.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

You have the right idea, but I think it's a lot more plausible for Florida State to beat Florida, and then Florida beat Bama. FSU is a much better team than Auburn, and the game is in Tallahassee. Not at all out of the realm of possibility.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not out of the realm of possibility sure, but I think it's more likely that Florida beats FSU by 30 than they actually lose the game. I hope that it happens though.

Oklahoma vs Texas for a title would be good fun. I don't care about either school, but lots of people I know do so it would be very enjoyable.

13. yaoluv

yaoluv Member

I'm a UT homer and I like to see BIg 12 teams ranked highly.

But does anyone else find it weird that Mizz and Ok state are ranked highly?
    Neither team has beaten a ranked team ( besides ok state beating mizz )
    Just seems kind of weird to me.

14. The Cat

Depends how you define ranked -- Illinois was ranked when Mizzou beat them.

In any event, polls have always been done (well, with teams from major conferences) through a hierarchy of no-loss teams, then one-loss teams, then two-loss teams, etc. The lowest two-loss team from a major conference is Georgia at 13. You can't sleepwalk your way, in a conference like the Big 12, to a 9-2 or 10-2 record. There's a reason there are only 13 teams in America to fit that criteria.

Plus, it's not like there are unlimited opportunities to play ranked teams (assuming you mean ranked right now). Alabama, Florida, USC -- all of those teams have exactly one victory over a ranked opponent. Not exactly overwhelming.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Not unusual or weird.

Georgia (ranked right with those two) doesn't have a victory over a ranked team. Ball State doesn't have a victory over a ranked team. Cincy doesn't have a victory of a ranked team (depending on the poll). TCU's has one just barely top 20 victory (BYU)--who themselves don't have anything close to a quality victory, same deal with Northwestern. So OSU quality victory (Mizzou) looks much better than anything those teams have.

Also, slightly in Mizzou's and Georgia's defense, if some of their defeated opponents had not played so many top 25 teams they would be ranked. Nebraska, Kansas, LSU, maybe even SC, Vandy, UK, most likely would be ranked if they played in average BCS conferences.

16. Major

Major Member

Who is ranked below them that you would rank above them?

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That would be the only explanation for that...Georgia stayed so high, because they lost two top 10 ranked SEC opponents and they had 6th toughest schedule in the country. If they lost to unranked team, they would've fail faster in the polls, also squeaked by some bad teams...like Auburn and Kentucky.

18. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

If Alabama loses to Auburn and falls to 7th or 8th in the BCS, and then Florida beats Alabama, is that enough to bring Florida up to 1st or 2nd in the BCS or would Texas and OU remain in the top two?

#198 firecat, Nov 26, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  19. The Cat

OK, as I see it, Texas has five outs -- any one of these would almost certainly put Texas in the MNC, assuming a win over A&M:

1.) The 45-35 campaign works and Texas changes a few votes in the human polls.
    2.) Oklahoma State beats Oklahoma
    3.) If neither of the first two happens, Missouri beats Oklahoma
    4.) Florida State (in Tallahassee) beats Florida, then Florida beats Alabama
    5.) Baylor beats Tech

Am I missing any scenario? None of these five events seems likely to happen, by itself... but when you add several 35% chances together and only need one, it makes the cumulative odds a lot better.

20. Fatty FatBastard

That is accurate. As much of a Tech fan as I am, I would say the most likely case would be:

1) OSU beats OU
    2) Tech beats Baylor
    3) Tech loses to Missouri