1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More trades - blow it up and start over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bryant2108, Jan 14, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Furthermore, by keeping the Rockets own pick (tanking this season) the Rockets prevent OKC from obtaining a franchise type player that they would otherwise get from the Rockets top 10 pick (I assume that the Rocket, try as they might to compete, would still be a lottery team this season).

Nook likes this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

Finally, as much as tanking sucks when has there been a better time to do it than now? With Covid wrecking shop across the NBA and fans not coming to the arena regardless there has never been a better time to lose repeatedly. Also, how lucky would it be that the year the rockets tanked would coincide with such a top heavy NBA draft?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

We do if it is top 4

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Sources tell Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer that Tucker's value around the league is perceived as being worth three second round picks.”

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I think they could get a lotto protected first from a contender who needs some defensive help.

hakeem94 and jakedasnake like this.
  6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Really? PULL THAT TRIGGER STONE!!!

PJ is going to shoot himself into being a street free agent pretty soon.

kiwirocketsfan likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

EGO.... no need to hurry. I actually believe Harden moving will benefit EGO and he could possibly build back his value (a solid combo guard who plays defense for a playoff team).

Tucker..... he will be gone by the deadline, too much demand for him.

Wall.... like EGO I think Wall will benefit from Harden leaving. I'd bet against him ever getting his value back up to his contract and we will most likely need to attach a low FRP to move him.

#47 dmoneybangbang, Jan 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    dfbreyes, Newlin and hakeem94 like this.
  8. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Agree with this. Can see a team like Dallas or even Cleveland look to get Gordon for an expiring contract (Drummond or James Johnson). Not sure if we would have to give up an asset but if EGO can average 18+ on decent efficiency and play solid defense he will be well worth his contract again but that is a lot to ask in 2 months especially since he seems a little banged up. Definitely does not make sense to trade Wall or Gordon if you have to attach an asset to them unless you get something more valuable in return.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hindsight is 20 of 20, back then before they won it all nobody even thought they were championship material let alone the dynasty!
    just compete!

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

oh, i see what Rocket's management is doing..................BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

UUHHHH???We got 2 first round picks for Robert Covington...at least one 1st?

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Should be tanking immediately and moving into asset collection mode.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Just keep Wall and Gordon during the tank/rebuild. I don’t want to attach any picks to move those contracts. By the time they come off the books, hopefully we will have some young studs ready to go. We just have to really focus on being bad for the next three years. Easier said than done because Silas and the players will be trying to win.

Der Rabbi and dmoneybangbang like this.
  14. mightybosstone

I'm not at all opposed to this idea, but as I mentioned in the other thread, I still don't think it's the right time. Moving Wall, even a healthy Wall who's shown to be a legit NBA PG again, is going to be impossible unless you attach assets with him. Same with Gordon. In attempting to tank and clear out the roster, you're going to have to lose more picks, which will hurt the rebuild more than help it.

The tank and complete rebuild is on the horizon. But it won't be this season.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

I get it's a dirty word.... but we are/will be relatively flexible for the next few years.... we can tank (which I support) while having the cap space/picks to make another harden type trade if it arises. I have a hard time seeing Tilman want to take on salary (aka compete for the playoffs again) for the next two seasons due to the economic uncertainty of his business unless a Harden-esque trade or FA becomes available.

16. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Second round picks are close to useless.

Someone will cough up a #1 hopefully.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

UHHHHHH Robert Covington is on a team friendly deal with several more years to go and didn't rupture a quad. Victor Oladipo could be a half a season rental. The reports are he wants to go to Miami which means Miami doesn't want to give much for him because they could likely just sign him in the offseason and nobody else is going to want to give much for him because he'll likely bolt in the offseason.

YOLO likes this.
  18. kiwirocketsfan

Players I would like us see hold onto:

John Wall - I like him more already than I ever liked Harden, heart and soul type player
    Christian Wood - Good value on that deal, a 3rd/4th best player on a contender type atm
    Demarcus Cousins - Cheap, chemistry with Wall, tough
    McLemore - good value for money
    Nwaba - good value for money
    Brown - Good value for money
    Tate - Great energy and IQ, solid rotation piece

Anyone else I'm happy to cash in for assets.

Cousins
    Wood
    Tate
    Nwaba
    Wall
    -----
    McLemore
    Brown

Seems like a fun team to root for

19. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

This the answer. You don’t send out assets to get rid of these contracts. Rockets will need to make the minimum contract level next few years. Not going to make that on minimums and rookie contracts and the Rockets aren’t about to hand out a big contract to anyone in the next few years. With Fertitta you never know though.

20. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

You mean Tilman's specialty?