1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MMA] Strikeforce World Grand Prix: 8-man heavyweight tournament

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Commodore, Jan 5, 2011.

1. sew

sew Member

dana white just tweeted:

:)

2. sew

sew Member

http://twitter.com/#!/danawhite

3. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

If Strikeforce really wanted Fedor-Overeem, they should have matched them up against fighters from the other bracket. Bigfoot is incredibly huge and well-rounded and Werdum can tap anyone at any time. Just a puzzling business decision for them, but it makes for exciting fights I suppose.

4. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

The classy Dana White (who claimed that he wouldn't even watch this fight because he had more important things to do):

ByronByrd: @danawhite You should have more Respect Fedor has done alot for the sport you say you Love!!

danawhite: @ByronByrd wtf has he done for the sport!? Ur ****in nuts

5. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

To be fair he looked good on his feet with his foot movement and boxing/striking and was actually winning but yeah..he can't take a shot anymore. He sort of panics against the cage in exchanges now.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, he's a decent boxer who can't take a punch. He was tagging Fedor in their match from what I recall, but when things go wrong for him, they REALLY go wrong.

7. M.A. Dub

M.A. Dub Member

Damn I'm devastated. I pray that is not the way Fedor goes out.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It's a shame Fedor vs. Randy never happened when both were in their prime.

9. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Anyone know where I can catch this on replay? I totally forgot about it and tuned in way too late on the p2p sports spots....

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Fedor had been talking like he would retire soon. This isn't a surprise, but still sad to see a legend go out like that. The sport has moved on and you just can't give up that much weight and size in a fight. 50 lbs is just too much to get past.

11. verti89

verti89 Member

It seems inevitable that a fighter will go out on a loss, if they were still winning why would they stop? unless they are randy the freak couture but he keeps coming back so that doesn't count. My question is how bad will this hurt Fedor's image. There has long been discussion of how legitimate he was considering his tendency to fight second tier fighters or guys unquestionably passed their prime. Just curious what the mood is on Fedor, is it age, size, or is it possible his record is manufactured through very favorable match making?

On a similar note, I am an MMA fan, and try to watch as much of it as I can on TV, but Strikeforce is really becoming difficult for me to watch with the volume up at all. The other promotions not named UFC understand that they aren't the UFC and act accordingly. Strikeforce seems to be trying wayyyyy too hard to show that they are just as good as the UFC and constantly talks about all the former UFC champs they now have. As entertaining as this Heavyweight gran prix should be, outside of Alistair, would any of them really be contender status in UFC. Not to say they wouldn't be competitive, but to act like they have the best heavyweights in the world is absolutely ridiculous.

rant over

12. Prince

Prince Member

That's the problem with undefeated like Fedor and champ like Pacqiao, people start matching them up with giants. And when defeat comes, they're like ... they were soo overrated. :rolleyes:

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

That's why I think Fedor vs. Randy would've been a perfect match up, they were both undersized heavyweights.

14. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Found a replay! Live now at freedotv.com, go to "Sky Sports" and click link 2.

#74 Rockets R' Us, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  15. M.A. Dub

M.A. Dub Member

To people saying that Fedor was over-rated, that is ridiculous. This man was the best fighter this sport has ever seen.

1 person likes this.
  16. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

And if a 3rd round were to go down, don't you think Fedor might've pulled something out of the blue and got the win? Silva had nothing in the tank at the end of the round, and that leglock/heel hook at the end of the 2nd could've fired up Fedor's processor circuits. I think we all would've witnessed a miracle if the doc/ref didn't call it.

It seems the sport is becoming a lot more dependent on cutting ability. Guys that can gain back 20-30 pounds after the weigh in have such a huge advantage.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This makes no sense. Neither Fedor nor Manny were undefeated. In fact, Fedor was subbed by Werdum in his last contest. Also, don't compare Fedor to Manny. He entered his name into a tournament of some of the top HWs in the world. He was not fighting hand picked guys coming off losses like Pacquiao.

Much respect to Fedor. I enjoyed watching him fight and hope he retires. No need to watch him go the Couture route

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

It the end, Pac will be regarded a hero and Mayweather the cowardly villain.

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Who cares about Mayweather? He chose his role. You nuthuggers are hilarious

In the end, Floyd won. You keep mentioning his name regardless of the situation. Dude isn't even fighting and he gets you all worked up.

Floyd is a lot of things, but scared of manny isn't one of them

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Floyd has lost, and will be forgotten...