1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ming dynasty? Yao nets 20-plus in 8th straightt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by syin1, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

You know what was beautiful? Last night, every possession, they swung the ball around and got it to Yao. EVERY TIME. It was automatic. Like clockwork.

I'll say it. For the long-term success of the franchise, I'd rather have:

1) a dominant Yao Ming and the Rockets missing the playoffs
    than
    2) an often-timid, erratic Yao Ming and the Rockets make the playoffs.

Screw the playoffs. Our ballclub's ceiling just got a lot, lot higher.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

slow down ....your moving too fast

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I agree completely. Tom's name keeps coming up, from film sessions, to footwork lessions, to encouraging more outside jumpers. Granted, Yao probably really is feeling better, but Tom has definitely helped.

Part of me is angry that Ewing wasn't doing this and/or Tom hasn't been helping to this point. But in all I'm just happy they've found something that worked.

4. Rasselas

Rasselas Contributing Member

Oh, and for everyone who keeps saying that we get no love from the national media, the "Ming dynasty" headline was one of the front-page links on ESPN. Just sayin'....

5. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

My opinion is that he was already demonstrating the aggressiveness already this season but the toe was holding him back unbeknowngst to us.

My hats go off to Thibodeau though. From the anecdotes we've been hearing it sure paints a plausible picture that he's been "coaching" (no pun intended) behind the scenes to unlock Yao's potential. Somewhere it was mentioned that Thibodeau has been making the case with JVG to open up Yao's outside game as well. That could be potentially game changing and devastating since Yao seems to have such a great touch from longer range as well.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I wonder to what extent Patrick Ewing is involved in coaching Yao these days. I never see him doing much of anything on the bench during the games.

7. Tango

Tango Contributing Member

There was an interesting comment by JB on the radio today. They were asking him about Ewing's contribution to Yao. He said something to the effect that what he (JB) think's Yao is getting from Ewing is the warrior mentality. Specifically he talked about how Ewing talked disappointedly about players that have the skills but not the work ethic and passion.

This doesn't mean that Ewing is not coaching Yao. But what I find it interesting is what wasn't said and that is how Ewing is contributing to Yao's basketball skills. Leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

8. Nero

Nero Member

Ya got to make the moment last!

Kickin down the cobblestones,

Lookin for fun and

FEELIN GROOVY!!

;)

couldn't resist

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's pretty funny. I think that means JB couldn't think of anything Ewing brings in terms of practical coaching, and so he just went with the cliched, "How to be warrior". That's Ewing's thing; as a player he was a "warrior". Great.

10. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Yao's "mouth-full-o'-gatorade" pose is going to be the next Jordan "Tongue-waggle" of a new generation.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Well I don't mind Ewing all that much even if he doesn't give us any coaching. It's obvious that him and Yao and Deke have a good relationship together. I always seem them on the bench talking, and I've read articles where they say that this trio routinely goes out to dinner on the road.

Just being part of Yao's psuedo-posse, and giving the big guy someone to complain to on the bench has to be good for Yao's mental well-being. I remember countless times that Yao gets a bad call against him, has to come out of the game, and goes to the bench b****ing about it to Ewing. So even if Ewing doesn't coach much, he's still worthwhile.

I mean it's not like Ewing being on the staff prevents all these Rocket greats from coaching too. It has more to do with JVG than anything else. I mean, JVG's not going to put Dream or Moses on the coaching staff because he doesn't have a relationship with them. And Dream is never in the country anyway, and Moses trying to communicate with Yao would be truly comic.

So maybe we should just layoff on Ewing, and simply shift the recognition towards Tom Thib. Who cares what Ewing is doing, as long as Yao continues to kick ass like this.

12. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

This is about Yao Ming, not you. Stop trying to take the glory away from him.

:D