1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ming dynasty? Yao nets 20-plus in 8th straightt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by syin1, Mar 8, 2006.

1. syin1

syin1 Member

Yao tops 20 points for eighth consecutive game

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=260307016

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- With Yao Ming emerging as an offensive force, the Houston Rockets didn't need Tracy McGrady on Tuesday night.
    Yao topped 20 points for the eighth straight game, scoring 30 points and grabbing 13 rebounds to lead the Rockets to a 93-87 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves.
    With McGrady on the bench again with back problems, Yao dominated the paint and Stromile Swift added 11 points and nine boards off the bench for Houston, which used a 12-0 run to start the fourth quarter to get their third straight victory.
    "Without McGrady our record is pretty poor," Yao said of the Rockets' 2-13 mark without their star forward. "Before today we only had one. I really feel a lot of pressure because my teammates look to me and my opponent focuses on me, double team a lot, but we're here, there's no way back. we can only go forward and we came out with the victory."
    Kevin Garnett made only six of 17 shots, but scored 15 points and had 21 rebounds for the Timberwolves, who didn't score in the first six minutes of the fourth quarter, missing their first 12 shots.
    Garnett played the game with a heavy heart after former Minnesota Twins' star Kirby Puckett -- his friend and mentor -- died on Monday. Garnett looked up -- figuratively, of course -- to the 5-foot-8 ball of personality, perhaps the only athlete in Minnesota to exceed K.G.'s popularity.
    "It's been a rough 48 hours just for me personally," said Garnett, who inscribed his shoes with "KP 34" in honor of Puckett.
    Marcus Banks scored many of his 26 points with the game already decided, and Mark Blount scored 12 of his 18 points in the first quarter before fouling out for the Timberwolves.
    "It was terrible. We gave the game away tonight," Ricky Davis said. "Everybody has to take initiative and take it upon themselves to not lose leads and stay on them. ... We just went back to our bad habit we've been having trouble with -- losing our focus."
    The Rockets again were without McGrady, their leading scorer at 24.6 points a game, after his bothersome back flared up in Sunday's game against Portland.
    McGrady scored 18 points in the win over the Blazers before leaving late in the third quarter. He was a game-time decision on Tuesday night, but Keith Bogans started in his place.
    When McGrady goes to the bench, it's almost always bad news for the Rockets.
    But Yao more than compensated, extending his career-best streak of 20-plus points in style. He was aggressive all night, using an impressive array of turnaround jumpers, bull rushes to the rim and soft hook shots.
    "I know at least in the last five games, to me he's completely dominated," David Wesley said. "Numbers like 29 [points] and 15 [rebounds], 22 and 21, double-doubles every night -- not just 15 and 10, we're talking big double-doubles. That's big. It gives us a major presence in the paint. ... He's carrying the load right now."
    The undersized Wolves didn't have an answer. Blount got off to a fast start, but was overwhelmed down the stretch, as was Eddie Griffin and even Garnett.
    "He's a handful for us down there wrestling with him," Wolves coach Dwane Casey said. "He's really played well and been a force."
    Blount went right at Yao to start the game, scoring 12 points in the first quarter to help the Timberwolves to a 25-16 lead.
    The Timberwolves made 12 of their first 19 shots, nearly all of them mid-range jumpers. But they hit a drought at the end of the first period, missing nine straight shots, a precursor of things to come.
    After spending a chunk of the period on the bench with foul trouble, Yao returned to score six straight points for a 61-60 lead in the third period.
    Rafer Alston added 17 points and five assists for Houston, which shot just 39 percent from the field, but made 47 percent of its 3-pointers (7-of-15) to overcome a six-point deficit to start the fourth.
    Game notes
    Prior to the game, the Timberwolves showed a short video tribute and held a moment of silence for Puckett, a Wolves season-ticket holder. ... The fourth quarter started twice. The two teams played for about 15-20 seconds before officials noticed the clock was malfunctioning. Since no points were scored or possession changed hands, the officials decided to have a "re-do" and start the period over. ... The Rockets' outscored the Wolves in bench points 24-6.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Back-to-back 30+ games for Yao as well. First time in his career.

3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

This is the sign of consistent dominance we've all been waiting for when Yao was drafted. He's not just a great player, he's a superstar right now.

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

LOL. I saw JVG was livid at the malfunction of both the shot and game clocks, and Rockets commentators Bill and Matt didn't waste a minute griping about T-wolves' extra 20 seconds (their estimated length of time that the Rockets had been playing strangling defense in that possession). It turned out the T-wolves didn't take the advange. Now that I think about it again, the squandered opportunity must have rattled their nerves to start off the 4th quarter while the Rockets players on the court were barely fazed. The game turned tide all of a sudden against the T-wolves from that point on. It was almost spellbinding.

5. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Last 8 games:

Yao avg. 26.8pts 14.3 reb

that's HAKEEM #'s !

6. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

goos job yao....i hope he can finish the season like this

7. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Yao should be dub THE "CHINESE" DREAM

Yao has avg. 26.8pts 14.3reb 2.0 blcks per game in last 8 games

Scored back to back 30pts game (32pts vs Portland) 1st time in career

8 games in a row with 20pts or more

1 rebound in Denver game away from 8 double/double game in a row

Lead Rockets to 13-4 record since Feb. 1st

8. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

Word.

Someone tell Yao to stop being so good, he's not supposed to!!! :D

9. declan32001

declan32001 Member

What is really strange is I've been wondering for the last couple of games what would happen if Yao really got hot offensively, given the way the rest of his game has suddenly lunged itself forward.

Weird Worrell remark of the night: "Thibodeau has been trying to get JVG to let Yao shoot more from the outside".

Either JVG really wants to hand over the reins to Tom or Bill is agreeing with much of the criticism we've all read here. I think there's a lot going on right now that's going to be discussed at length in hindsight.

10. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Yao was the best player on the court, outplaying KG. Dominant performances by Yao, his confidence is sky high. Bring on the Spurs and Mavs.

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

DAMN!

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I have been trying to told ya'll

Rocket River

13. cenbo416

cenbo416 Contributing Member

Yao is playing like a true superstar right now. But, once again, we need Tracy to beat Spurs Sunday.

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

anyone remember yao just RIP that last rebound down? It's a rare sight to see him do something other than just grab it or tip it to himself. He said "get the @#$$ out of my way, this is MINE"

15. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Exactly. I those rebounds that he pulled down in the 4th quarter in heavy traffic- my eyes got wide. He ripped the rebounds out of the air. He looked like a real NBA big man gettin' mean. Oh man, good times are ahead for this team. I can't believe we actually have McGrady and Yao signed to long-term contracts for years, both entering their prime!!

16. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

If you take into account the health factor, I think Tmac is trying to stay in his prime, rather than entering it.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am getting chill bumps watching him play.

He is playing...dare I say it? Very Hakeem like !

DD

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

When I said 26 and 14. . . I was told I was expecting too much

Rocket River

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Last night's game was but just a glimpse of what is to come!! The biggest change in the Rockets game was that our team recognized that the game goes through Yao Ming and there wasn't any hesitancy about pasing the ball into Yao . This was the first game in his four seasons that this level has been reached and this was acheived without Yao Ming demanding the ball. Soon he should move towards Hakeem's nature and start being the dominent big man and liking it!!

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I can't believe how much Yao's game has changed since he has come back from injury, his aggressiveness and footwork have really improved. I have to believe it's Thibodeau, did anybody see him coaching Yao during the timeouts, I think Thibodeau has taken the reins of Yao's development and film work seems to be a big factor. Looks like Yao reviewed all the DVD's of his games and a light went on, almost like he said so that's what I've been doing wrong.