1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Charles Jones, Jan 14, 2009.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I love Scola's hustle. He's awesome.

2. Humer

Humer Member

I love the way he plays. Nothing pretty, but very effective!

3. JayLau910

JayLau910 Member

i've been very impressed with scola. i think we've been seeing his whole repertoire as of late, especially in the absence of yao last night. his jumper has been spot on and if he and rafer can continue to play like this, combine that with what we know we're going to get with battier, yao, ron-ron, and if tmac plays the way he's shown in every playoff series he's played, this team has a good shot come playoff time. more ifs ... if wafer stays this determined to make a name for himself in this league and if ab can get back to the peak of his game. he needs to learn how to stop and start off the dribble though ...

oh right, this is an appreciation for scola thread. propz to you luis. keep it up when yao comes back and we'll be a truly dangerous team.

4. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

Scola is the perfect PF for this team. he does not have to have the ball to contribute (unlike Amare, which some people want as a Rocket) and when he is a focal point of the offense, like last night's pick-n-roll fest, he is virtually flawless.
    Damn, we're good. and Scola makes us so much better, being the consummate team player that he is.

5. henGoOink

henGoOink Member

yeah he is really a nice help to have on the team. 21 points last nite! :cool:

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

By the way, that travel call where he spins one way and pivots back the other is all done on ONE pivot foot.

I have seen the refs call that on him a few times....and it is hogwash, it is a perfectly legal move.

DD

7. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

He is playing well now on the offensive end. Defense ... just okay. Rebounding is solid. Passing is marginal.

Disappearing in big games ... he still has that problem. Again, after last year's playoff debacle where he missed layup after layup and FT after FT, I am leaving his title as Scrubola until he shows up in the playoffs.

8. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

Agreed. There is the Lebron travel (three big steps and no call) versus the Scola travel (lots of pivoting but no steps but he gets called). The NBA refs know where the future revenue is coming from ....

9. ebu

ebu Member

scola didn't win but got consideration for player of the week!!
    first wafer, now scola...good job!!

10. bjshot

bjshot Member

That's why I said in the begining of the season that rockets probably should start Hayes and let scola come off the bench. Scola and Ron together can have more touches on offense end and destroy the others bench.

11. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

I have been saying that all season. But they had been trying to make Scola a starter since the day he walked through the door. My opinion stands that you start Yao/Hayes and Yao should be the focal point early. Sub Yao at about 7minutes in, move Chuck to Center, Scola to PF, have McGrady/Alston run Pick & Roll. Landry should play situational minutes (ie, anytime defense is not required).

12. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Bad defense, if he can improve that and become Chukola, then we can trade chuck hayers and get one more value back C

13. burnnotice

burnnotice Rookie

The guy has been playing Pro ball for like 9 years including Spain. How is he going to magically start being a good defender? The same way The Chuck Wagon is not going to magically develop a 15 foot jumpshot. You have to decide what is more important. Offensive or Defense.

Rick Adelman has clearly made his decision so now we have to sit back and watch Scola drop 12ppg and give up 23 on the other end.

14. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

watching Scola run the pick n' roll made me really see how slow Yao is, Scola was getting to spot before Detroit was moving. I don't really like Yao runnin' all over the place setting screens, but he is not The Dream so I'll just deal with it - GO Rockets!

15. lwqbulb

lwqbulb Member

Luis scola gonna get another double double for today's game.
    GO SCOLA!

16. mich

mich Member

Scola is not that tall, does not jump high, does not move quick, but he has energy every night. He runs & runs without stopping. He uses his Tango dancing steps for scoring, he does not miss chances most of times. The most important part, he never gives it up, like SheMac often do. I do appreciated his effort.

17. joesr

joesr Member

doing good filling yaos spot

18. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Luis Scola is a man beast

19. ScolaRLZ

ScolaRLZ Member

After the last games we've surely all seen it's clear that Luis is playing great basketball, the best ball of this team. Now we can see his real category and profesionalism.
    I just want him to get a bit better on the deffensive end, but he has all what i want from a basketball player on my team, energy , hustle, big heart, never gives up, he plays every night for 48 minutes, high bb IQ and he has no status (as the supposed 3 star players). I believe he'll be even more important in the years to come. He's one of the few that swhould stay here and i hope we can give him a new contract when the current expires. I couldn't afford to loose him in the 2010.

20. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

Scola is a role model for the rest of this Rockets team.

He hustles.

He is constantly moving on offense.

He is the best defender on pnr.

He is not injury prone.

He is the most crafty post player we have.

Now if only he can run like Brooks, jump like the old Tmac and grow another foot.....