1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Charles Jones, Jan 14, 2009.

1. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Thank you for a memorable season Luis!!!!! Thank you for finally getting us out of the 1st round!

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is an underrated player for sure,and a big part of why we are here.If we can get Chris Anderson(not likely though),it would help out Luis and Yao on the defensive end.
    I like Luis Scola's fighting spirit.

3. ACL1

ACL1 Member

My favorite Rockets powerforward ever , up there with OT. the guy is all heart and hustle.
    sorruy too younf to remember Elvin Hayes

4. Rockets_blood

Rockets_blood Member

SCOOOOOOLLLAAAAAA!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Scola is by FAR our best value player at this point.

We're getting 13/9 for around 3 mil. The Lakers pay Odom 14 mil for similar production, of course he's a much more versatile player but with all the money we save on Scola's contract we can acquire another player who can pass and handle the ball the way Odom does.

6. Charles Jones

Charles Jones Member

MVP MVP MVP!!!!!

7. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he's my new favorite rocket :D . i also think he's the toughest player on our team ;)

8. hokage5

hokage5 Member

9. albuster

albuster Member

Scola has a unique and rare skill and that is finding the open spots in the offense. I watched several games of the Argentinian national team and I say the reason why they won so many championships. Their guards, especially when Manu was doing the playmaking, always looked for Scola and delivered pinpoint passes to him as soon as he gets into those open spots.

I wish the Rockets would make a conscious effort to look for him constantly on offense. Well, if they still have Brooks as their pg then I seriously doubt Scola will get those passes. Brooks cannot even deliver the proper entry pass to the post.

10. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Excellent thread. Scola has been strong all season and is already one of the better PF the Rockets have had all time. I hope he stays a Rocket for a while :D

11. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

He will only get better in his 3rd year. The experience he gain playing in the playoffs would build his confidence. I wont be surprised if he would be the team second leading scorer next year.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Another strong season from Scola, hopefully, this trend will continue next year, with whatever lineup we have set up. I am thinking the coaches and point guards need to be ready for more plays for Scola so that you can reduce the over dependence on Yao being the entire offense.

13. vbx

vbx Member

Scola should get more chances to score. Instead of trying to force it to Yao 80% of the time. Mix it up with Scola. Scola should teach Yao ming some post moves.

Yao Ming stands at his favorite spot all the time. It's so predictable. Spin and jumpshot. Thats all he does.

14. Asian Sensation

As opposed to starting a new Scola thread I decided to bump this one instead. It's summer. We had an amazing year all things considered. Now the question is how good do you guys think Scola can become? Is he in his prime right now? Has he already peaked or is there room for even more improvement? So many questions surround this guy because he only has 2 years experience in the NBA but he's been playing ball almost his entire life yet he's 29 already at the same time he doesn't rely on athleticism very much and moreover he played ALL 82 games both this year and last year. Simply put there's a lot of conundrums surrounding Scola.

To further complicate matters.... Scola is on an extremely good contract in terms of bang for the buck. We got him for nothing. His value is sky high right now and he looked like a franchise PF in spurts throughout the season and playoffs. Do we keep him? Do we package him for a sure-fire franchise player to improve other positions? Is he going to improve from year 2 to 3 like he did from 1 to 2?

Year 1- 24.7 MPG/10.3PPG/6.4RPG/ 51% FG / 67% FT

Year 2- 30.3 MPG/12.7PPG/8.7RPG/ 53% FG/ 76% FT

Year 3- ??????????????

Discuss.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Scola does so much good for this team, he plays good D, rebounds well, and stays within the team concept.

Not to mention he has a very good contract.

We are lucky to have him as the starting PF.

DD

16. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Hassle and Heart. Improving his lost post defense would be a plus. BUT as a whole a great addition to a position said to be one of the weakest on the team.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My favorite player on the team. Never takes a play off. Never! Just keeps improving as he adapts to the NBA game. I think we'll see a better Scola next season and perhaps an even better player the year after. He has a great coach for the way he plays. Luis is in a great situation. I hope we don't move him as I like our rotation at the 4. It would take a very big upgrade to make tinkering with that combo worth it, IMO.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I love this guy. I think he is the most underrated Rocket. He is the heart and soul of the team. He works and works, hustles, runs, jumps, gives all he has ever night. Whatever he lacks in height and talent he makes up for in desire. But, you know what, his post up game is pretty good and his mid range jumper is not bad either. At this point, he is my favorite player too. I love his intensity, and that "never quit" attitude. Those qualities constitute a decent definition of "heart."

1 person likes this.
  19. Yaoismyhomeboy

Love this guy. I am also confused that why he didn't get enough shooting attempts from the coach. He actually should be our #2, at least #3 offensive option. rather than throwing the ball to Ron or AB.

20. Strawman

Strawman Member

Scola's great.