1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lenovo: T. McGrady, R. Alston, S. Battier, Yao, C. Hayes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Hungarian Rocket, Apr 4, 2007.

1. 2rings

2rings Member

Thanks for the efforts in advance. Should be interesting to look at. Will this give you lineup breakouts though? I'd be curious to see if different 4th quarter combos for the Rox are more susceptible to blowing leads thna others. My guess is that might be a pain to get though if its even possible.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Wow. That is amazing. 23-21 against the West. I'd like to know our combined record against Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas, Utah, and the LA Lakers.

Is it really 6-12????

#22 jopatmc, Apr 4, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Disgusting Remark!!
    Our bench is poor by comparison due to the fact that our Head Coach has FAILED to develop much of his available talent, due to personal limitations of abiliity and refusal to play rookies and his perpensity to place anyone who has their own ideas in his doghouse. We will pay the price in the playoffs and hope that Morey will be able to make some adjustments in his new position and will pressure JVG to become more tolerant in the new season of tenure. :p

4. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Suns use a very shallow rotation. It's only 7 players deep. The Suns are expanding the rotation to 8 by using Kurt Thomas for defensive purposes.

5. ysong00

ysong00 Member

WOW that is pure ownage

6. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I meant deeper with talent. Every team has the same number of players, I believe.

Leandro Barbosa would be starting on most teams.

7. 2rings

2rings Member

Yes, but was it the Suns coaching staff getting the most out of its bench players or Colangelo drafting the "right" guys. I think we have been out-GM'd relative to the Suns more so than we've been out coached.

8. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

This wasn't about Jeff Van Gundy. I think he's coached the hell out of this team. Winning 50+ in a season when Yao misses forty percent of it is no easy feat.

9. nahmorlah

nahmorlah Contributing Member

What talent hasn't he developed? The rookies?

V-Span? I'm not gonna stir that pot...
    JL3? Seems to play a decent amount for an undrafted, undersized point guard.
    Novak? Widely acknowledged as needing to gain strength and learn how to play better defense.

Head plays a great deal. Snyder has started to get more minutes. The ONLY legitimate example you have is Bonzi Wells, who showed up out of shape, didn't play that great when he got minutes, and continued to injure himself.

10. deshen

deshen Member

I don't think this Lenovo statistics make sense. It is ridiculous to rank our starters as #1 while we constantly lost to the best teams. We were swept by Suns, win only 1 game with Dallas. There is no reason to see any team in this spot except Suns and Mavs.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

If I understand correctly, the Lenovo stat isn't some opinion ranking that you can dispute. It is based purely on numbers, I believe.

Furthermore, you have to consider the fact that that starting five has only started about 45 some odd games this year.

You can argue that the Mavs and Suns are better teams, but the stats about the starting five are what they are.

12. tsunami

tsunami Member

I really doubt how they got such result. IMO Suns starting five are the best right now.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In the one game we played Dallas with that starting 5 available, we blew them out at home. Remember?

As for the Suns, that's just a team we don't match up well against. But our starting 5 is very good. For whatever reason, JVG doesn't play them a lot in the fourth quarter. He prefers Luther Head and/or Juwan in there, typically.

14. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

:: punches him in the face ::

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This stat does not say the Rockets starting 5 is the best. This stat says the Rockets starting 5 has the greatest differential between points scored and points allowed for 5 man units in the NBA.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just looked at our schedule. With Yao and McGrady in the lineup, we're 8-8 against the West and 17-2 against the East. :eek:

This is a problem.

17. deshen

deshen Member

Need to clearify. Lenova stat is not pure number, it is a method from Lenova to define how good is a team. there is a lot of such numbers, Lenova is just one of them.

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

It is a pure number. (And it's not from Lenovo. NBA stat-guys calculate it.) It's points scored minus points given up with a set of players on the floor.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Pure number?

The Rockets have scored 975 points while they played the starting 5. The Rockets have given up 716 points while they played the starting 5. 975-716=259. The +/- stat is a very pure number free of intrepretation. If someone wants to intrepret +/- stats as a be all, end all measure of how good a team is, that is their mistake in interpretation.

20. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Well put. In the end a W is a W.. and that's what really counts... doesn't matter if you pound a team by 50 or 1. Hopefully they can translate those type numbers in the playoffs. Interesting stuff nonetheless. Thanks for the info.