1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Berkman campaigns against allowing boys into girls' bathrooms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is with you. You lack the intelligence to understand that the way people's brains are wired can be different from their bodies. Genetics and the human body are complex. But you are too ready to apply your brainwashing and push it upon the world.

Transgender people don't have a problem with being confused, you do.

1 person likes this.
  2. cml750

cml750 Member

You ever think about doing stand up comedy???

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don't know what's funnier. Lance Berkman taking up this "cause" or people on here having a problem with how random strangers will never ever once affect their lives. LOL. Too entertaining.

Houston, just make sure you focus on bathroom passes and don't you worry about, you know, flood control or transit.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The ordinance is designed to stop discrimination in employment, housing, and other arenas on the basis of a host of characteristics (sexual identity and orientation plus race, age, country of origin, disability, religion, marital status, and more). It is the execution of the 14th amendment in the municipal legal code.

So, on the one hand we have enforcement of our equal protection value system we've enshrined in our Constitution, versus on the other hand the potential for being uncomfortable when somebody weird goes into a public restroom. Hmmm, how to choose?

5. JuanValdez

People who have been discriminated against can complain to the DOJ (limited defined classes) or the Texas Workforce Commission (employment and housing). Or you can file a lawsuit. There are mechanisms in place for finding redress but I'd say they aren't so easy to access. I think the obvious effect is that not nearly as much discrimination will be redressed. But, if you build a legal structure at the local level, you can routinely and expeditiously deal with discrimination complaints. Justice will be much easier to access as a result.

No, women will take small boys into the ladies' room. And fathers will take small girls into the men's room. Third bathrooms aren't all that common.

6. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

I'm against it, and I'll tell you why. When I'm traveling or running errands and I really have to go; I mean, like hair on my back is standing up, i'm counting down the seconds, getting mad at people in my way...I don't want the chances of someone else sitting on the toilet to go up. For this reason, I'm out

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So this is proven? . . . fact? . .. . without a shadow of the doubt? . . . .
    You mean . . their is a test that can be given/taken to prove is someone's brains are 'wired' differently or not?

Rocket River

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not that it has anything to do with this ordinance, but....

Are there really grownups that are afraid of perverts lurking in public restrooms? Is this really a concern with any of you? If so, how do you even function in life? :confused: I've been using public restrooms for all of my 40+ years and I've never been assaulted by a tranny or a pervert lurking in the stall next to me. It's just never even occurred to me that this might happen. Probably because it never has. This just seems like an extremely irrational fear.....

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm for all bathroom are unisex bathroom. How often do you go to the bathroom at work and it's full and you look at that other side :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Break down that wall. We all be safer!

11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Yet you're afraid your kids will be abducted if you leave them in the car while you return a shopping cart for 30 seconds.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'll jump in and quickly jump out.

There are evidence that yes, genetic play a role. There are also evidence of structural differences in human brain related to gender identity and sexual orientation (but I think there may be an egg and chicken story here).

In general, those working in this field, with current understanding, strongly recommend against "fixing" the problem. Causes real harm.

No, there is nothing conclusive AFAIK.

BTW, understand that there is almost NOTHING that is without a doubt in Science. The best you can get to is 99.99999.....% Ideally, you roll with the best understanding and adjust over time with more understanding...

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What if your 10 yr daughter is in the bathroom with a 40 yr old guy dressed as a woman in the next stall.

Not saying he would do anything but would it give you pause?

Rocket River

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Best to keep her in a burqa and at home

Grow up.

15. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

So now we are basing public policy on our fears from Benny Hill skits?

1 person likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

This reminds me of the discourse around gay marriage. Unisex bathrooms are the civil union of the lavatory world.

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That and from disgraced senators, yes. I think Lance Burqa-man and friends are fearing the infamous wide stance, or someone seeing their pee-pee. :)

18. Nook

Nook Member

They need to just have three bathrooms. Men, women and family. Really it shouldn't be this damn hard.

19. JuanValdez

This is not the obvious solution. In all public-facing establishments that have only 2 bathrooms (which is most of them), install a third bathroom. You have to pay for the new walls, etc, that's comparably cheap. But, you need to drill the slab for drainage, plumb water to this third location. Depending on the establishment, thousands to tens of thousands for the retrofit. And, you now have to give up square footage you used to use for whatever you do there to instead sit idle as mostly excess bathroom space. Say it's 50 square feet (is that big enough for the ADA?) and you pay $25/sqft for your rent -- that's about $100/month plus the initial capex to have this third bathroom. And the restaurant loses a 6-top, or the store loses a rack of inventory, the barber loses a seat. So you forego revenues as well.

Three bathrooms is not a good solution. It might make sense for some establishments. But, it's not the obvious solution for all or even most places. People need to figure out (all over again apparently) how to go to the bathroom with the 2 available options.

20. likestohypeguy

And there's also a hole, not that he would stick anything through the hole, but there is a hole in the wall between his 10 year old daughter and that 40 year old guy in a dress.