1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lance Berkman campaigns against allowing boys into girls' bathrooms

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Commodore, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except nobody can cite an example of anybody ever doing that in any state that already has similar laws.

But, hey, why start letting actual real world experimental evidence get in the way of your delusional world view.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

And trannys are already using the ladies room even in Houston. So why pass this stupid ordinance?

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Oh if only we relied on facts instead of nonsense. A small excerpt of the findings, the rest at the link.

15 Experts Debunk Right-Wing Transgender Bathroom Myth

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/03/20/15-experts-debunk-right-wing-transgender-bathro/198533

Colorado

State Law Has Prohibited Discrimination In Public Accommodations Since 2008. In 2008, Colorado expanded its Anti-Discrimination Act, which prohibits discrimination in public accommodations, to include sexual orientation and gender identity as a protected class. [The Denver Post, 5/29/08]

Coalition Against Sexual Assault: Opponents Of Protections Are Creating "Unsubstantiated Fear." Alexa M. Priddy, director of training and communications at the Colorado Coalition Against Sexual Assault, reported no problems as a result of her state's non-discrimination law. In an email to Media Matters, she wrote:
    Denying equal rights is yet another form of discrimination against transgender individuals, which is pervasive within our society and institutions. Such criticisms of this law and ads [that] invoke what we see as "trans panic," an attempt to create fear of transgender people and a false label of trans individuals as sexual predators.

CCASA would love to see the real focus be on the realities that transgender people are far too often targeted for sexual violence, and if they seek support through victim services or the criminal justice system in the aftermath, they often face continued discrimination from the very people who are there to help. Sexual assault is already an under-reported crime, and we see this increase with marginalized communities. We want to focus on creating safety for transgender survivors and not on creating unsubstantiated fear. [Email exchange, 3/8/14]

Connecticut

State Law Has Prohibited Discrimination In Public Accommodations Since 2011. In 2011, Connecticut Gov. Dannel Malloy signed into law legislation prohibiting discrimination in public accommodations based on gender identity or expression. [Bay Windows, 7/6/11]

State Commission On Human Rights: "Unaware Of Any Sexual Assault." In an email to Media Matters, Jim O'Neill, legislative liaison and spokesman for the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights in Opportunities, reported no problems as a result of the state's non-discrimination law:

I am unaware of any sexual assault as the result of the CT gender identity or expression law. I'm pretty sure it would have come to our attention. [Email exchange, 3/6/14]

Hawaii

State Law Has Prohibited Discrimination In Public Accommodations Since 2006. In 2006, Hawaii expanded its non-discrimination laws to prohibit discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity. [Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, accessed 3/12/14]

State Civil Rights Commission: Non-Discrimination Law "Has Not Resulted In Increase[d] Sexual Assault Or Rape." William Hoshijo, executive director of the Hawaii Civil Rights Commission, told Media Matters in an email:

In Hawai`i, the protection against discrimination in public accommodations on the basis of sex, including gender identity or expression, has not resulted in increase sexual assault or rape in women's restrooms. The HCRC is not aware of any incidents of sexual assault or rape causally related or attributed to the prohibition against discrimination on the basis of gender identity or expression. (In contrast to anecdotal reports of transgender students being harassed and bullied in school restrooms when forced to use an assigned restroom inconsistent with their gender identity.) [Email exchange, 3/6/14]

Iowa

State Law Has Prohibited Discrimination In Public Accommodations Since 2007. In 2007, the Iowa Civil Rights Act was expanded to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity in public accommodations. [Iowa Civil Rights Commission, accessed 3/14/14]

Des Moines Police Department: "We Have Not Seen That." In an interview with Media Matters, Des Moines Police Department spokesman Jason Halifax stated that he hadn't seen cases of sexual assault related to the state's non-discrimination ordinance:

We have not seen that. I doubt that's gonna encourage the behavior. If the behavior's there, [sexual predators are] gonna behave as they're gonna behave no matter what the laws are. [Phone interview, 3/13/14]

4. Buck Turgidson

I'm curious how you know this.

5. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

The ordinance has absolutely nothing to do with bathrooms. It is a general civil rights bill.

Bathrooms is the scariest hypothetical situation that people who don't want to treat LGBT people as human beings could come up with to frighten you.

6. cml750

cml750 Member

What rights do lesbians, gays, and "confused" people not already have?

7. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

8. cml750

cml750 Member

Well, I do not live in Houston but I live close and go there all the time. I have NEVER seen a crossed dressed person in the men's room. I think they would sort of stand out. Now if they go in the ladies room crossed dressed, they do not stand out. In the same token, a woman who is confused and thinks they are a man who looks and dresses like one, will not stand out in a mens room. That is not to say that a crossed dressed person has never used the restroom they are supposed to use given the genitalia they are born with but based on my experiences I have not seen it or noticed it. So I could be wrong but it is unlikely.

9. malakas

malakas Member

what is man and woman? A lot of those people have changes in their DNA. A lot of them have not developed secondary sexual organs. A lot of them have different hormonal profiles.
    If someone was born XX but didn't have an uterus and ovaries is she a woman?
    A man who didnt have testicles?

10. cml750

cml750 Member

11. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Hell, then, let's repeal the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Nobody told me (or, really, anybody in the south for that mater) that everybody was already equal under the Constitution!

12. Exiled

Exiled Member

The irony is

if someone is "confused " , the logical thing is someone else should take a charge and make a decision on his/her-behave

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Houston Astros Legend Lance Berkman. Don't you guys forget it.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

SIMPLE

ON bathroom for PENISES
    On bathroom for VAGINAS

If you have a PENIS you go to the one marked PENIS
    If you have a Vagina you go to the one marked VAGINA

Rocket River
    The Great Bathroom debate DONE!

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I gotta say, I think Lance succeeded on this one.

He turned a ballot measure that is actually about banning housing and employment discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation into a referendum on transgendered people entering bathrooms.

So it boils down to a bunch of people who are uncomfortable with the theoretical possibility of a transgendered person entering a bathroom as a reason to deny employment and housing protections to GLBT people.

:rolleyes:

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I always find it funny that the argument against trans people using restrooms is that it's not safe for others when there have been no reports on this actually happening?

We do know that trans people that use the bathroom of their original gender are usually harassed or beaten. that actually happens a lot more.

Using basic common sense...why would an actual man want to use the ladies restroom? Why would an actual woman want to use the men's bathroom? Guys, and I know most guys on this board are typical sports watching, lady hawking males...have you ever...EVER thought. "Yeah, I'd like to go in there one day.." one day as a kid in grade school I wasn't paying attention and walked into the ladies bathroom and I was embarrassed and teased about for about a month. If a dude wants to gawk at naked ladies there are strip clubs and there is the internet. Most normal dudes know this.

SURE there will and are male predators but do you think enforcing this rule will stop them? This is that same argument used for guns that criminals will get them any ways. If a perv/creep wants to sexually assault a woman in a bathroom nothing is stopping him from doing that now. No law outside of putting security out at the entrance of restrooms is going to stop some guy from strolling into the ladies restroom and being menance. Because that guy don't give a ____ any ways.

BTW, if we are so against men walking into ladies room to protect the ladies piece of mind...how do you think they feel when this guy comes strolling into their restroom...

[​IMG]

Except of course that was once a lady and now identifies and 100% looks like a dude.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

What if I have both? What if I am in transition from one to the other?

Why do we let gay men in the men's restroom?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Less than .5 percent of the population is hermaphrodite
    so . . . . .

in Transition - means you still have one or the other . . ..

Because they are MEN . . AKA they have Penises

Rocket River

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Did you realize that that .5% is 20,000 Houstonians?

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Walking into a restroom that's not your gender is the work of the Devil.

Why do you love Satan Jaygoogle?