1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Lowry, anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Play07

Play07 Member

Correct, Houston is the last place a SOLID pg wants to come play at in their prime, they want to be on a team where they get to run the offense

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Clutch, I am sure you know hear than most of us about the McHale/Lowry deal. But I wonder if it would not make sense to pay market price for him, make him the starter and hope it works out this season and deal with the contract situation come summer.

Lowry is a seriously excellent NBA player. The guys has been productive for years and is now carrying the Raptors as he carried the Rockets as the best player on some >.500 teams. If we look at RAPM, he'd be ranked around 30th-40th in the entire league in each of the last 3 years.

He is a big difference maker and this is a team that is potentially one difference maker away from being truly top tier. Not many of this type of guys around. This team is in "win now mode," isn't it?

I think other teams want him for sure, but not sure if anyone is willing to pay more than "rental" price for him. After all, he is going to be an unrestricted FA and even if he says now he likes his new team, there is no telling whether he'll still feel the same way by the end of the season and by the summer when $s are being offered.

If HOU trades Asik for, say, Bass, the "150%" salary difference rule under the CBA actually would allow HOU to take back Lowry's contract without giving out any contracts. To me, it would seem that giving Toronto, say, HOU's 2014 1st rounder and a couple 2nd rounders or rights to European guys would be as good as any offer Toronto gets.

And it doesn't matter whether HOU includes any of its other PGs in a trade. Got enough depth if one of them is traded, but also doesn't matter if one or more of them gets benched because of Lowry, who is really REALLY good.

3. wiseguyX

wiseguyX Member

Lowry and George Karl

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

this would be amazing.

5. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

I don't trust in Morey
    Why did he hired McHale?
    Why did he let Lowry go? Yes,u guys say that we trade Lowry to get Harden, but I don't think so.It's completely luck to get Harden. Morey had traded Lowry because he thought Lin would be better than Lowry.
    Fire McHale,Bring back Lowry, and try to hire Casey who will be a champion coach

6. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

he will be watching harden do his thing and be in a similar situation as lin, so i doubt he wants to come back. then you have that deal with mchale and him. also, this is his contract year, so he is playing really well right now.

7. fooshayd

fooshayd Rookie

I am all for getting lowry if we are getting rid of McHale. Make it happen Morey!

8. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

McHale and Morey are still here.

9. Carl Herrera

Lin was still a restricted FA when Lowry was traded. The team wasn't choosing one over another. The team decided that a 1st round pick (with two way protection) is a more valuable asset than Lowry would be going forward in a trade scenario. They decided that if the team gets worse without Lowry, then they rebuild.

Remember, Lowry was valuable in part because of his low $ contract-- as the contract gets shorter, it becomes less valuable as a trade chip.

10. tonyrock

tonyrock Rookie

No way Lowry would agree to play for Mchale.

11. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

We donot need a PG coz Harden is our real PG on this team.
    What we need is a stretch 4 and a backup center maybe. Then we can contend.
    You donot want to have Lowry or Rondo come in here and fight for possessions with Harden.

12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

How about we take a look at the other of in Toronto, Greivis Vasquez. He was a a really good pg for the hornets a year ago. I think he average 10 assist. And he could shoot. He's rotting on the bench in toronto

13. Carl Herrera

If he wants to get paid next summer, he will play.

14. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I'm all for bringing Lowry back if it means Jeremy getting traded.

Lowry won't pout if he's the starter, right? He'll even get his #7 back, so I don't see any problems.

15. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Yes, Lin was still a restricted FA when Lowry was traded. but Morey was sure that Knicks wouldn't match his poise contract, he knew he could get Lin, this was also the reason that he didn't worry about Dragic to go anywhere

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

So you think staying mediocre for years to come was better than blowing the team up? Your telling me a lottery protected first isn't worth more than Lowry? No one thought Lin would be better than Lowry, that was a marketing ploy first and foremost. If you honestly believe thats the reason for trading Lowry, you don't really understand a lot of the nuances of management. On top of that, you are just making assumptions based on no rational thought. Morey wanted to stock pile assets until he could make a trade. It didn't have to be Harden, but eventually someone would bight. In the meantime, it was better to tank than be the 9th seed year in, year out. Toronto traded for Lowry, you think they are in any better position now? In any case, it isn't even as if Lowry wanted to play here. And lol at Dwayne Casey.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Hell no, can't stand hin

18. Spooner

Spooner Member

A mediocre at best shooter and one of the worst defensive liabilities ever. And that is supposed to help us? His passing isn't as valuable when he's playing off ball. Think about the team, and ask yourself if that's what we need.

PAAAAAASSS.

19. Spooner

Spooner Member

You are basing everything off of unfounded assumptions. The Knicks claimed they would match any offer way before the Lowry trade. Morey and Dragic really tried to make it work if you remember.

20. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I just don't see how it would work. Lowry and McHale's relationship is too far gone in my opinion, its a pity because he'd be a big upgrade.