1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPJ - Just let it fly baby!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I wasn’t trying to debate you. I with you on firing Silas. I’m with you on trying to find a different role for KPJ to see if he is worth keeping. I actually have been one of KPJ’s greatest protagonists. Neither of us has any real input. I have come to the conclusion that KPJ is not being used in the right way and would like to see JG or Sengun initiate the half-court offense 100% of the time. Let KPJ spot up or iso the last 6 seconds on the shot clock if nothing else works.

peleincubus likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Gotcha - won't happen.

:)

So, embrace the chaos, and hope that KPJ gets a lot better at the PG spot this year.

DD

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

You drunk big bro? Why not Gordon? Why not Jalen? Hell why not Boban?

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

6. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Man, it is like noon - I am typing between zoom meetings.

Just finding a place to be happy about the chaos....so the games become enjoyable - basically severely lowering expectations.

I know, but the org doesn't seem to care about that style......it is what I would do, but they have their own agenda, so why should I be mad at watching what I consider stupid ball? I have to find a happy place to enjoy something about a 12-15 win season......

DD

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

So, you seriously are advocating KPJ coming up the court and and jacking up shots? He's already bad enough as is. That hurts Green, Sengun, Smith, Sengun, ect...I guess he's the most important player on the roster in your eyes though.

I can't believe you're serious. You are as bad as Silas

clutchdabear likes this.
  8. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am advocating that he come up and get the first good shot, either his or someone elses....I am advocating that they stop worrying and just play.....if the coach isn't going to coach, and the players are just playing, then just play your game, I am not saying he takes all the shots....but if he has a good one, let it fly.

Extrapolate out what would happen though if KPJ started chucking......do you think the coach would be forced to make a change? Eh??????????

DD

9. dmoneybangbang

I truly don't understand what KPJ has done on the court to warrant such a thread to be started.....

Either you let Sengun run the bench unit or KPJ run the bench unit. I'm starting to lean towards the latter as KPJ just seems like a hot/cold combo guard.

10. King1

If you want him to play like that it has to be off the bench

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Nope, he starts, this is what the org has determined, and it is what is happening......not going to get into anything that they aren't gonna do, waste of time.

KPJ is the PG, he is brining it up, he has the green light, let it fly.....or pass it, whatever, just let him do his thing, that is clearly what the org wants....going to embrace what we are doing and stop b****ing about what they should be doing because this year doesn't matter to them.

And I value my mental health...when watching **** basketball.

PS. @King1 you can remove that sig, been up long enough, you are a man of your word.

DD

12. Spooner

Spooner Member

This summer we discussed KPJ’s horrible shooting efficiency. I was willing to give him a pass on his playmaking since he was new to the position but he is supposed to be good at scoring and we really haven’t seen that. Every year KPJ takes more shots and every year his efficiency suffers even worse. This year is a new low. He is barely shooting 40% from the field and is already at 16 fg attempts per game. It’s not like he doesn’t already have as many chances as he needs to score. Any more volume and he is sure to shoot below 40%.

If he gives up as a playmaker and is billed as a scorer, who’s going to want a chucker that shoots below 40% from the field. We haven’t even addressed the perceived attitude problems that other teams undoubtedly factor in. No one is going to want that at his price tag.

We can agree that Silas is not a great coach but he is indeed an NBA coach. People don’t become NBA coaches and not know anything. I think part of the problem is that we simply do not have a point guard. Regardless of who coach is, I can’t imagine Kyle Lowry inviting this chaos if he was on the floor.

I always really liked and agreed with your posts. I’m not sure what happened with this KPJ thing. I probably wouldn’t put all my eggs in that basket. It’s not looking so great. What you are proposing will only further inhibit our two top 5 picks. How many shots do you want KPJ to have realistically? 20? 25? Then all you have is a chucker shooting well below 40% who has given up on trying to be anything more. For someone billed as a scorer, he really hasn’t come close to hitting the mark and that isn’t contingent on playing one position over another. I’m just not sure there is room for a player like that in the NBA. Certainly not a starting point guard.

I’ve really enjoyed watching every game this year. KPJ is even on my fantasy team. I’m not a hater by any means but he is clearly the most frustrating player to watch. Sometimes he makes it feel like the whole team is in quick sand. It’s really aggravating man. I don’t care about wins or losses I just want ball movement and smart decision making. If you can’t do that and you want to be a scorer, you need to shoot above 40% from the field. This is his 4th year in the league and it’s just not going to cut it.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I haven't it has been 14 games of horrible chaos out there, no ball movement, no body movement, no structure.....and I want to enjoy watching something - I HATE how this team plays....HATE IT.....

I HATE that Silas is such a weak coach - and I believe he is hindering development.

So, either I take 68 more games of being pissed off, or, I switch my mindset and go.....ok, let's tank - and if we are gonna tank, let's go all in and find out if KPJ can play the PG for real.....and if Jabari can find his shot and move his feet off the ball, on his own, because clearly the coaching staff is not doing their jobs......so why should I get frustrated when the org is fine with the tanking and lack of structure?

So, in order to preserve the enjoyment of watching the Rockets play, I am embracing the tanking and so I want to see individual improvement and decisions made on players and whether they fit....I think KPJ is borderline need to find out if he is a piece for the future or we jettison him....

So, I would like to see him let it fly....and play free and easy.

DD

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

join the meme squad

HP3 and DaDakota like this.
  15. King1

If you are going to do that then do it with Jalen Green and move KPJ off the ball. That would have some merit.

Cool. Thanks. I would never not honor a bet

16. dmoneybangbang

And all this is occurring with KPJ having the ball in his hands, getting more shots, and more usage. That doesn't suggest the KPJ is over his head.... and maybe giving him more control isn't the answer?

You complain about Silas being a weak coach... but seems like he's allowing KPJ to do pretty much what you want where he is playing HIS game and these are the results....

Seems the issue is you just overestimated this team and certain players so your expectations are not inline with reality.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Silas got into NBA coaching through nepotism. That's why 2 decades later he is finally getting a head coach gig with the worst team in the NBA.

18. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

They should stagger JG and KPJ how we used to do with Harden and CP3, and have them finish games together. JG just looks more comfortable and seems to get into a rhythm quicker when he has the ball in his hands.

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Make quicker decisions. That’s ultimately his biggest need of improvement.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Perhaps try pulling for someone other than the guy we found in Cleveland's dumpster.

Or put him in a more natural position.

Superfans are looking for the team to develop as many pieces as possible.