1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenyon Martin Sr. Critical of the Rockets Processes, Approach to Winning, and Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 26, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Narrative ... or the truth?

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I hope that doesn’t influence Stone to not take Jabari or Chet over Banchero or Ivey.

ipaman likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Both....or it highlights something that the Rockets don't want highlighted.

DD

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

He didn't say anything wrong. Of course he wants his kid on a winning team. The rockets aren't. We knew that already though. it's called a process, a long one at that

Nook likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Mostly narrative.

I can totally understand how Kenyon Sr wants his son on a winning team, but the Rockets are going through a total rebuild like it or not.

6. StrawberryJamm

Zero issue. Seems like he'll be an easy convert just play KJ and win games. I'm in and he probably thinks his son is +15% better than I do. Amazing restraint, 1 questionable comment in 2 years of Silas.

clos4life and D-rock like this.
  7. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I like KJ not only because he's a walking highlight that has potential as a shooter, but also because he's one of the few players on our team that keeps the ball moving, constantly cuts off-ball and plays completely unselfishly. He's one of the guys that makes Jalen better, just because he constantly looks for him and tries to help him get going.

It'd be a shame to lose a young guy like KJ, but from everything I've seen he gets along well with his teammates. I hope he improves even more during the off-season and gets more minutes. He's still two years younger than his dad's NBA debut age. The ceiling is the roof for him.

8. H. Christopher

Who cares what this old man has to say. His son is a grown ass man.

clos4life and vator like this.
  9. my time to shine

Our top priority is Jalen green rn.

KJ is lucky to even be in an NBA rotation. Have to earn every step

groovemachine and clos4life like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

KJ is very tight with Jaygup and Green.

And Sengun loves playing with him because KJ is one of teams most active cutters.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So listening to this again, I think there's a little hint here that he's using winning and losing "approaches" to speak more towards the influences of veterans almost more off the court than anything. I think he's concerned about the maturity levels of being around 19 year olds all day and wants his kid to be mentored more by veteran players who can be a better example for him and keep him out of trouble. I think that's a perfectly reasonable concern for any father to have about his 20 something son.

It's nothing personal towards the Rockets either at the end of the day. It could be any team that is rebuilding that would be concerning for any father about their young son in the NBA.

D-rock likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Gary Payton II is exactly what he's talking about for KMJ.

clos4life likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Over possessive parents harm their children more than they know. You cant stop them from making mistakes and once they reach a certain age it becomes more about advice and support. No duh it would be nice if ALL our rookies where in winning situations with this team, but thats why they call it a rebuild. Hopefully KMart Sr. can keep this as his opinion in a venting session and not turn it into some crusade and distraction because trading his son would be easy. I like him as part of the team and have really enjoyed watching him develop, but having that type of parent around is claustrophobic.

vator likes this.
  14. vator

vator Contributing Member

GPII is 29 years old and never played more than 29 games in a season until this year. I saw that he didn't even think he was going to make the Warriors and was asking for a job to help out behind the scenes so that he could stay around the game. I bet he would've loved being 19 and 20 years old and be fed the minutes and opportunity that KJ has gotten when he was the same age rather than bouncing around the developmental league.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes i know GP's journey but its exactly what KM wants for his son and what hes talking about.

clos4life and vator like this.
  16. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Point is KJ is getting a bigger and more consistent opportunity than GP did. Their career starts are nothin alike.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

that isn't even relevant to me as to what I'm saying. He wants KMJr playing on a winning team and having a role like GPII does w/ GS. Career path and all that other stuff isn't relevant to what I posted

18. conquistador#11

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

/thread

20. i3artow i3aller

Working on their craft with Mike Hill :cool:

D-rock likes this.