1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenyon Martin Sr. Critical of the Rockets Processes, Approach to Winning, and Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 26, 2022.

1. vator

vator Contributing Member

He is not a fan. Wishes KJ was somewhere else.

2. xaos

xaos Member

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is he talking KMj exclusively or a half dozen guys?

4. futilman

futilman Member

He's not bashing us at all. He just wants his son on more of a winning team than a full rebuild. He recognizes the situation we're in and also knows that our priority has been developing KPJ, JG, and Sengun, not his son. He also saw us giving EG, Tate, Matthews, Brooks and Wood a lot of minutes over KJ. From his perspective, he's 100% right. KJ should have played WAY more this season.

If I was KJ, I'd want 1 of 2 options. 1) HOU takes KJ's development more seriously or 2) trade KJ to a team that does. Seems like he did get more time towards the end of the year but he definitely wasn't a priority early on.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That didn't even really sound like slander to me. It sounds like he, like any dad, just would prefer if his son were in a position to win too. I don't see the big deal.

6. vator

I changed it to being critical.

I don’t think this is something you come out and say in the media though.

Doesn’t sound like he is bought in to what is being built here and it makes for a lot of additional questions as to what is it that he isn’t a fan of. The coaching? The GM? The roster? He said something about off the court. What does that mean?

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I can understand it but at the same time it's like man, stfu about a 2nd year player who was drafted in the 50's needing a better situation? He's averaged over 20MPG both seasons, that's a pretty great situation considering where he was drafted, I can't imagine many winning teams that would have had that opportunity for him.

Can you let him finish his rookie deal before publically saying you want him somewhere else? How are the Rockets supposed to build a winning team if the good players we draft immediately start trying to find a way out instead of buying into the team?

Love KJ's game, I hope he's starting at the 3 for us next year

8. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

He definitely deserved more minutes this season, but if he was on the Suns, Warriors, or Bucks, he probably wouldn't have even seen the floor yet.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought it was Kevin Martin's dad talking about his son's time with the Rockets in 2011

vator, ThatBoyNick and steddinotayto like this.
  10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

At first I was like, why does this guy's dad have anything to say about us?

[​IMG]

vator, ThatBoyNick and apollo33 like this.
  11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What does this Marin guy know anyway

hakeem94, vator and saleem like this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That lips tattoo on his neck has always been funny to me

Kevooooo likes this.
  13. vator

haha!!

Sad part is that is one of my all time least favorite Rockets. Maybe that’s why he popped in my head lol

14. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Shouldn't it be Jack Marin Sr?
    [​IMG]

Bo6, hakeem94, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  15. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The situation would be much worse for his son on a winning team. Minutes would much harder to come by and his development would be stifled. Here he gets plenty of minutes and shots.

I think KMJ has a bright future ahead at least partially because he was drafted by this team. Even if he leaves the Rockets I think his resume of playing time and touches will help him get opportunities on other teams.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I listened to the audio. It was nothing to get worked up over. All things equal, he'd prefer his son was on a successful team. Yeah, obviously. Who wouldn't?

There is nothing here to get upset at. This audio isn't K-Mart being critical of the Rockets org, nor is it proof that having a team featuring young players (and therefore losing often) is the incorrect approach. It's just a dad wanting the best for his son.

17. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Really great post. KJM SR. can say what he wants, but if KJ wasn't in Houston right now, he may have been undrafted, or best case scenario, on the Kings right now. People can say what they want about Stone's Rockets, but he needs about 10 more years of this sort of tanking to be in the same conversation as the Kings.

It's rare to find an organization who trades a future 2nd rounder(this year's Lakers pick) AND cash, for the 52nd pick, then play him 22 minutes a night for two years. KJM is right where he should be. All of this said, I think KJM or Tate need to be traded to let the other get bigger minutes. I really like both players.

Slyonebluejay and 13 in 33 like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. i3artow i3aller

KJ and JG were just chillen the other day. The kids will be ok.
    [​IMG]