1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenyon Martin Sr. Critical of the Rockets Processes, Approach to Winning, and Culture

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Apr 26, 2022.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

That’s what I was thinking

J.R. and D-rock like this.
  2. vator

vator Contributing Member

I agree with everything you’re saying and in a roundabout way you’re coming back to my point. He didn’t say those things because he doesn’t currently believe those things are happening. Even through losing, you can see progress that makes you say ok we lost, but I believe in what we’re doing. I believe Coach Silas is a leader and the guy who is going to lead these young men to where they need to be. Ryan Hollins on the other hand is being paid to spin a certain narrative and push the agenda that we’re building the quote unquote right way.

I’m not saying what Kenyon Martin said is wrong, I’m concerned that he might actually be correct in his evaluation! I’m concerned for Sengun, Jaygup, Green, KPJ and our lotto pick. Saying he wants his kid to go to a better organization to me is mildly concerning. Wins and losses taken out of the equation. You get what I’m saying?

Haymitch and D-rock like this.
  3. vator

@D-rock would you like to tell us something?

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

It’s been a very very tough 2 yrs. What do we have to show for it? A franchise player and several other good prospects, as well as a chance for another franchise player with our top pick. And plenty draft capital and player assets to get another big chip. We are positioned nicely for an upward trajectory. Winning may be another year away but it’s on the horizon. The org used these inevitable down years wisely. I expect us to be better next season; especially the 2nd half of next season.

BHannes2BHonest, vince and vator like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Literally the entire NBA did this except for the play in teams.

BHannes2BHonest and DaDakota like this.
  6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Exchange ‘guys’ with: ‘fans’.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Makes sense, KMJ would be a nice role player on a good team, but he lacks size and shooting ability to be a building block for a young team.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  8. TimDuncanDonaut

2017-18 Arena: Toyota Center Attendance: 732,722 (17th of 30)
    2018-19 Arena: Toyota Center Attendance: 740,392 (16th of 30)
    2019-20 Arena: Toyota Center Attendance: 578,458 (15th of 30)
    2020-21 Arena: Toyota Center Attendance: 117,009 (3rd of 30) :eek: during covid we were more open i guess... :D
    2021-22 Arena: Toyota Center Attendance: 638,977 (23rd of 30) #better than i expected.

Agree, that it will take some time until we get back.

#68 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I get the picture. I think we are basically on the same page. To be honest, I made an assumption about your line of thinking that was apparently incorrect. So, that's my bad.

vator likes this.
  10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

It sounds like he is implying something going on in the background w Houston based on his word choice, and I think that might be the idea of not caring about making team improvements part of their list of goals. Raf talked about goals in the exit interview, and back to back years they have said they have achieved what they wanted to in these exit interviews, their goals seem to be tied to individuals and not the team. This is a bit off putting, you would think they would have some goals around building a cohesive team, having a system, or improving as a group (defensively) and those improvements at least being tied to the group.

If you had Pop as your coach and this group, sure figuring that stuff out shouldn't be a goal because he knows what hes doing. With Silas, he is new to head coaching, and has not really shown any improvement, and there seems to be no indication that this is a goal they've even set. Raf also indicated in the exit interview that we will see more of the same next year. There has been no signs of holding any individual players accountable on the court either , you dont really see that communication occurring between Silas and the players, so I think all of Kenyon's concerns are legitimate. If I were him, I would be concerned about him developing the right habits to be successful on a competitive NBA team, there is nothing that we have seen so far that shows the team even having any type of identity or willing to build towards one. The way they celebrated after wood scored 39 points once, and a few other memorable instances this year just showed the culture is accepting of these habits. The Grizzles are younger than the Rockets and have an actual identity, the T-Wolves are older than the Rockets by the same margin and also have an identity.

#70 BallSoHarden, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
    Little Bit likes this.
  11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I’m sure KMJ hit the textline right after hearing this.

vator likes this.
  12. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Doesn't KM have an IQ of 68 or something?

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Really? I missed that. If so that is very disappointing. Yes more player development, but wins need to be a priority metric as well next yr.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah, maybe pops can stfu with that idiotic commentary. Completely without context and at best, self-contradictory. "He earns it" but also he's too good for this situation? "He earns it" but also he deserves to be on only contending teams? He's Lebron James? He's not pulling enough focus?

The way "they" approach "things"? Speak true or speak none. Who and what? Tilman supposed to max him up? Stone not giving a 20 year old enough time? Silas doesn't run plays for a guy that spent most of 2021 bricking the **** out of open 3s? I'm glad he caught fire in 2022 because his shooting was concerning for half the year.

They got two guys working on all-star career arcs, maybe a 3rd. Martin plays a little better he'll be starting with them for the next 5-7 years. Where's the rub?

Lavar Ball is no one to imitate. You're really concerned about his future maybe don't say such stupid **** into microphones.

15. TheBeastSystem

Fine. Trade him to the Nuggets for a first. Get a team to overpay for him because his dad wants him elsewhere.

Here's a little secret: He's not that good to begin with.

16. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

He indicated incremental improvements among players, said they will discuss what they need to do as individuals to improve next season in their exit interviews, but said to be prepared for a similar type of season next year with marginal improvements. It is almost like they are sand bagging this thing, and then when they exceed their forecast they will celebrate it as a win.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Martin is very well respected around the NBA. He has been offered numerous coaching and front office jobs. Daryl Morey wanted him added to the organization…. So he knows what he is talking about most of the time but I have noticed he can be a bit flighty.

These comments obviously don’t sit well for the Rockets to resign Martin Jr, but it’s not like he is going to be in huge demand.

Martin is likely expressing what I have heard others around the league say, the Rockets “leadership” is not well respected because it isn’t well established. Fertita is a reasonably new owner with a universally bad reputation around the league. Stone is a new GM and was a surprise choice and Silas is a new head coach. There is no track record to fall back on like OKC can do with Presti.

Objectively speaking the Rockets have been the worse team in the league the last couple of years and have “no bodies” making decisions and not a lot of good pieces outside of Green.

I suppose a smart ass could look at Martin Sr. and tell him if he wants his son to win more games, maybe his son should help his team more.

KingSamJack, D-rock and vator like this.
  18. vator

All that makes plenty sense.

As far as KJ is concerned, I was thinking the same thing, but I like KJ so didn’t want to be a jerk to him because of something his pops said, but it rings true.

I believe that he can be here and contribute for years to come, but If KJ was himself a better player, we would win more games and wouldn’t be trying to lose in order to find better players than him in the draft that play his position. He can’t be something you build around and we’re trying to acquire guys of that ilk. Not prove that we can win 30-35 games and pray to get in the play in tournament.

Nook likes this.
  19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

He should be thankful that his son is on the Rockets. KJ probably wouldn’t have touched the court had he gotten drafted by a contender. Anyway, KJ seemed to genuinely enjoy playing here so I won’t read too much into it.

20. Salvy

Salvy Member

How can anyone be dissatisfied with The Rockets? I mean we have this guy.... How could anyone be mad or feel like the direction is bad....

[​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest, J.R. and kubli9 like this.