1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG to cover Bucks/Pistons on TNT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fromobile, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

fooey...I remember Padgett's plus/minus being better than most...When you watch basketball you have to consider how a player affects the whole just by his presence. I thought T-mac and Padgett had a great pick&roll...Padgett also created driving seams for Wesley, Sura, James, & Barry...his rebounding was not that bad contrary to popular belief. He also makes good decisions which I think is the most important thing...look at Robert Horry...he's inconsistent but is a great fit on a lot of teams. I'm not saying Padgett is Horry but I wouldn't diminish his contributions as a player...

2. compucomp

compucomp Member

Maybe he was OK with the Rockets last year, but your claims are totally wrong when considering his performance this year:

http://www.82games.com/0506/0506NJN.HTM

According to 82Games he should pay the nets to play for them, his +/- was horrendous and his production compares very poorly with the people he's playing against.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I've actually had the oppertunity to fly with him on about 3 different occassions back in 96 when he was coaching the Knicks. While I did not talk to him myself I witnessed him being a complete prick to the flight staff. I have disliked him as a person ever since.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

JVG's dry humor and frankness are pretty good traits for commentating. most commentators are so goofy, its actually a nice change of pace.

5. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Van Gundy doesn't waste any breath when he's commentating. You get the feeling he is breaking down tape the way he would with his assistent coaches.

6. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, JVG was good for a few minutes. Then I got pissed off that he wouldn't shut up. I mean, he knew what he was talking about, and I appreciated intelligent input. But for god's sake, let some silent time go by. He was a lot better as the 3rd man cause he only got to contribute every so often. Now, he feels like he has to break down every play, even instant that the commentator isn't playbyplaying

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

nice role payer, better role player, waste of talent & 3 first round picks

8. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

We kept the wrong white guy.

9. docgundy

docgundy Member

Is JVG doing SA-SACTO 2morow? They said something about him working Tuesday.

10. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Some liked Padgett, some did not! Looking at his current season performance I would say that he isn't good enough for a team that is building with the goal of winning a championship.

11. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Hey, when your team consists of:

1. A Chinese guy with one good ear, 4 feet taller than you who fired his translator and is just getting conversational English down in the last year.
    2. Another guy 4 feet taller named Dikembe Mutombo Mpolondo Mukamba Jean Jacque Wamutombo, that no one can understand because he sounds like cookie monster and speaks 13 languages, so who knows what channel he is tuned on at the moment.
    3. A streetball legend who speaks a different type of new york english and has the stigma of being carefree and "uncoachable". Not to mention he is diagnosed with Asperger syndrome and ADHD.
    4. Stromile Swift, who's expression always looks like he is watching butterflies on tv.
    5. A aging relic of your knick days, who has ADD whenever the cheerleaders are on the floor.
    6. Some farmhand who answers every statement with, "Yessssirrr, I'll try my gosh darn hardest!"
    7. Five guys who haven't been here long enough to have even learned your overcomplicated defensive plays.
    8. A guy oozing benjamins for a long career of being paid the max for above average play.

......It's nice to know that SOMEWHERE out there SOMEONE is listening to you, even if it is during a Bucks/Pistons game.

12. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

LOL..!! that's so dang funny man... :D :D :D especially that Motumbo part..

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

He's also doing the Cavs/Wizards game right now. Interesting to hear him talk about LeBron a little bit. He just got fouled hard by Brendan Haywood and JVG laughs and then loudly exclaims "HEY, WELCOME TO THE PLAYOFFS! I like that...there ain't nothin' wrong with that."

I'd really love to see JVG play basketball. I bet he'd be a tough son of a b****.

:D

14. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

JVG is doing the cavs/wizards game right now, just a heads-up..........

15. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

JVG is a bad ass on TNT!

He really knows his stuff and he does a great job talking about the game not only for "real" basketball fans but also the casual fan. He is very good at this.

BTW, JVG can really be funny.

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

JVG is an excellent color-commentator, he REALLY knows his stuff and communicates it very well. This guy lives and breathes basketball, he's an addict.

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Anyone who tuned in to SR610 everytime for the past couple of years (that would be me) when they had JVG on would tell you that JVG has a GREAT sense of humor. He's goofy and he cracks you up with his dry humor.

18. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I wonder if UFA Gooden was performing for JVG while doing his best Beltran salary drive.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I wish our colors guys (Bullard/Drexler) were half as good at their jobs as JVG.

20. Lil Lee

Lil Lee Contributing Member

at first i was wondering who's this new voice talking. he sounds such a nice guy and then i found out it was JVG and them im like "WAHHHH". If he could only be that way in the lockeroom. :)