1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: He's to blame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W-Mac, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Your argument is ridiculous. That's like me saying that it's *at the very least* probable that you're a massive tool... unless you provide some hard evidence to the contrary, like a petition signed by a bunch of people proclaiming that you're not. So go on; prove to me that you're not a massive tool. I'm waiting.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This thread is hilarious, mostly because of edc's ludicrous posts, but I have to say that I've had my problems with Van Gundy in the past. I thought his offense was slow and predictable. I thought he used way too many time outs, leaving us short towards the end of games. I thought he used too short a rotation, and played some of the guys too many minutes. I hated his comb over. I don't have much hair, although I have more than he does, but I've always thought the comb over looked lame.

You know what? He changed the offense. He finally adapted to his players. He uses his time outs far better, and we're having more available towards the end of games. He's expanded his rotation, subject to the vagaries of injuries, in my opinion. I know some will disagree with this. He's cut down the minutes of the guys in rotation, when healthy players have allowed it.

He tossed the comb over.

In short, he's addressed some of the things that ticked me off. He still ticks me off, like allowing Rafer to hoist so many shots, but who does he have backing him up? A rookie who can't get on the floor because he's been playing like crap when he does, and Lucas, who should be playing in the NBDL.

Is Van Gundy the perfect coach for the Rocks? I don't think so, but who is a perfect coach? I loved Rudy, and still do, but he had his faults as well. I've been really, really impressed with how Van Gundy's handled an injury ridden team, and has us playing at a high level pretty damned consistantly. He's doing the best coaching I've seen him do in the league this season.

3. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Per Deckard:

"Is Van Gundy the perfect coach for the Rocks? I don't think so, but who is a perfect coach? I loved Rudy, and still do, but he had his faults as well. I've been really, really impressed with how Van Gundy's handled an injury ridden team, and has us playing at a high level pretty damned consistantly. He's doing the best coaching I've seen him do in the league this season."

I am really impressed with how this team is doing without Yao! With this many injuries-we are playing so well and consistent.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Deckard, thanks for hijacking the thread back to a serious discussion.

5. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

Biggest test for JVG will be How do he is going to integrate Yao and T-mac together like ONeal-Kobe after Yao back.
    It decide if he is good or great. Will see.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

PETITION:

EDC is a tool

Signed,

Codell
    VesceySux

lets see how many names we can add on

7. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

signed,
    HtownTmac1 (JVG RULES) lol

8. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

BMoney

9. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

If you know anything about basketball, you should know that the stats dont show everything. But if you want to look at the stats thats fine. Through the first 11 games the guy averaged 5.7 points (on 4 shots/game), 2.4 rebs in 19 mintues. What kind of production do you expect in 19 minutes?

And Bonzi's cant shoot either...but he seems to be getting to job done. Its not all about an outside touch. Snyder's D wasnt great, but above average to say the least.

#369 W-Mac, Feb 7, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  10. teetime

teetime Member

Look like someone is about to be tossed off the island. :D

11. W-Mac

Never said he was they key. I said I'd like to see him play, especially against them...i think he'd help us match up better then we have in the past.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Signed - Deckard.

(although R2K says "ignore" is your friend)

13. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

So...a monkey wrench, a crowbar, and a hand drill walk into a bar....

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Hate to pile on, but edc's posts in this thread have been pretty absurd. Not to mention mindlessly combative.

15. ty185

ty185 Member

signed

16. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

LOL!

How can you see the signs, EDC? Do you live in NY? Thats where the signs are.

I didn't hear anything. You did. I don't know about any bridges for sale. You said you did.

I AM close to people of power...my wife and kids.

17. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I just thought of something...

Riley basically taught Van Gundy all he knows while Gundy was the assistant in NYC. We all agree on this, right?

Ok...

So, can someone look up for the Haters the offensive stats, defensive stats, margin of victory, and all the other stats from last year that EDC and his crew THINK don't mean anything?

Oh, and can someone please look up the result of having such a team that plays in such a way with the stats they have during the season?

Oops...one last thing. Could someone please dig through the piles and piles of data and tell me when a team with all the pretty offensive numbers won a title against a team that had all the pretty numbers the Miami Heat no doubt had last year?

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

signed

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Actually if you knew anything about basketball you'd be using PER and +/- and Roland Rating. Anyway his suck as a general rule.

Yeah because he's a much better player. THe comparison ends there.
    No it was pretty average.

#379 SamFisher, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  20. W-Mac

To:SamFisher

Yea, Bonzi is a better player then Snyder, I never said he wasnt. I said he cant shoot from the outside but that he is getting the job done. Kirk will do the same. Im sure he knows his role isnt going out there and putting up 15 and 7 a game. He's not nearly as bad as you are making him out to be. The dude is 24 and 6'6...give him a chance.

The Suns run-and-gun style of play is exactly why most people on that team are worth a damn, save for Stoudamire, Nash and maybe Marion. Everyone else is good because Steve Nash and their pace make them good. Memphis and Golden State dont play at near the pace that the Suns do. Give GS a few weeks...the guys they picked up will definitely help them. As for Memphis...who do they have that can run up and down the court? Mike Miller and Gasol? Both are white dudes (like me so im not being racial) so neither is nearly the athlete that Stoudamire and Marion are. It helps to have some african americans if you are going to try to run teams out of the gym.

Face it, Chuck Hayes might not be playing when Yao comes back. He's almost the equal of Ryan Bowen on offense. Teams dont even try to guard him. Yea he may compliment Yao better, but Howard has earned the chance to start at the 4.

As for our small rotation...I was talking about using that against teams like Dallas and Phoenix who try to go smaller . Also, I wasnt saying Howard and Deke at the 4/5 for the entire game. Move Battier and Wells to the 4 to give them a breather.

Sincerly,
    Billy

#380 W-Mac, Feb 8, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.