1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: He's to blame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W-Mac, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pwnocchio

Pwnocchio Member

Winning percentage isn't a very padded stat. I hear ours is one of the best in the NBA.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Well, let me be clear, by saying "not that great", I was actually putting it kindly.

If you really want to know, he pretty much sucked, at least taht's what the numbers tell me and my mind doesn't recall him being very good either.

His long range shooting was horribly bad, - a huge negative as a role player on this team, where such is essential. He was not an especially great at defense either. He wsn't horrible, but he was not exactly Ron Artest.

I know you think he's a "great" slasher, but what evidence do you have for this? I don't recall him doing a lot of "great slash[ing]" when he played. In fact I very rarely recall it.

Yeah, W-Mac, well the kind way to say this is "Rome wasn't built in a day", the unkind way to say it is if you think a Snyder-McGrady-Head-Alston-Battier (or whoever) lineup would allow us to match-up with Phoenix you're verging on brain-dead. Phoenix is not a good team because of the way they play. They are a good team because they have great players. Trying to trade baskets with them does not work. Ask New Jersey or Golden State.

Why? You'd go small and subtract rebounding on a team that is not great at rebounding to begin with and plays at a slower pace? That's not smart. Basic arithmetic tells me that.

I'm glad you brought up PHX though, because if you look over their stats, they have one of the absolute shortest benches in the league and despite their pacing, they have about a 9-man rotation, essentially idenctical to the Rockets, and actually pile even more time on to their top six than anybody else. They have 6 players averaging 30+ mpg, while Houston only has 3.

You're aware that there are only 48 minutes in a game right??? :confused: And you're aware that you're committing the exact same sin you accuse JVG of by sending Hayes to the pine right? If all you got is that "Snyder is better than Hayes, why isn't he playing" you should just retire.

You should also just let this thread die because it makes you look rather dumb.

#342 SamFisher, Feb 7, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I was planning on responding to WMac until I read SamFisher's post.

Well said.

Yeah, Snyder is the key to beating Phoenix! And I DO remeber him playing and he can't shoot well. Would like to see him in the rotation with Bonzi out, though.

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

Sorry, I've never seen any such signs. However, you HAVE seen such signs, HAVE heard about these things, and are apparently close to people in positions of power. I trust you to report them to whoever, in whatever manner you see fit.

5. two-sandwiches

JVG put you in this world and HE can take you out!

6. edc

edc Contributing Member

"The official web site." Yep, some hard hitting investigations going on there. As to "sign off on the idea and take, all the credit", who said that?

Those are the *only* things proven regarding Mr. Van Gundy's involvement in the section. Did he "pay for the seats?" Sure, he probably chipped in something. Did he pay anwhere near face value minus normal employee discount? Doubtful.

You say you're sure he "wasn't 100% responsible," then where is the line so it isn't "insulting?" 90%? 75%? 51%? 33%? 25%?

Until and unless other evidence (like a bill/cancelled check or payroll deduction), comes forth, it seems probable it is *at least* as much an organizational promotion as something done "out of the goodness of one man's heart."

7. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

EDC

Is that the best you can do to support your theory that Van Gundy is mediocre? You can't attack him anymore, so you resort to tangential things that have nothing to do with what's going on between the lines?

You might want to change your signature. The Rockets are number 1 in rebounding in the NBA and during the last 6 weeks have been top 5 in the NBA in turnovers and assists (lack of stagnation)

Did you run out of ammunition and hate for Gundy? You can't come up with something recent? Are you that badly stuck in the past?

Let's face it. No coach in the world can get what's he's getting out of Tmac and the golden oldies.

I bet you thought that it was Mr Van Gundy's end when Yao went down, but let's be honest: Greatness always reveals itself in the face of adversity. You can't hold greatness down, because it always rises to the top.

You might have to wait a very long time for the Gundy downfall. That time will come after his voluntary retirement in celebration of his great career as a teacher and a motivator.

#347 macfan, Feb 7, 2007
  8. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

you're officially off your rocker.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

he doesn't have much fire power since the Rockets have been winning.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

in the words of the late great Gregonomics

"UMMM...STOP POSTING."

edc...if the rox win the championship will you please DIACF and never post again.

use urbandictionary.com to look up DIACF if you don't already know it.

11. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I was referring to the Rafer shooting% post, in which i completely destroyed your argument using stats.

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

You have yet to answer why Mr. Van Gundy's team are always in the lower half of the league in FG%.

If it weren't Rafer Alston, it would be somebody else. It always is.

13. edc

edc Contributing Member

Whatever, dude.

14. edc

edc Contributing Member

No, that is a discussion regarding the provenance of the "Red Rowdies."

Nothing at all to do with the problems in consistently scoring, and that 15-point quarter the other day...

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Actually, you have the burden of proof. I'm not researching stuff just because you made crap up to diss JVG with.

I already proved that this year you're wrong...so enlighten me please.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

And you have yet to answer any question of substance, like why does "Mr. Van Gundy's team" have the 5th best record in the NBA despite major injury problems this season.

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

or that jumper that T-Mac missed

or that foul that Hayes committed

or that turnover that Head had

geez

JVG stinks

18. two-sandwiches

STINKS OF YOU CODELL, YOU LOVE HIM MORE THAN HE LOVES YOU..............don't you?

JVG evens coaches on the Sabbath.........

19. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

We've been averaging 99PPG lately with only 1 player that can create his own shot. No creators usually means high turnovers. Not so with this greatly coached team. They don't turn the ball over and they share the ball Princeton style.

That's called great coaching. That 15 point quarter you are referring to was a result of missing wide open shots. Van Gundy consistently gets us into sets that yield to wide open shots. No team, especially no team with equal talent gets better quality shots than the Van GUndy Rockets.

JVG is not out there shooting the ball. The players are. All he can do is get them good shots and he does that better than anybody.

#359 macfan, Feb 7, 2007
  20. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Quiet macfan!!! Don't you know JVG is the worst offensive coach in the league? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.