1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

JVG: He's to blame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by W-Mac, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there are 25 teams in the league who wish they had our consistency.

2. W-Mac

W-Mac Contributing Member

Was anyone at the game Saturday?

I happened to be there and it was ugly.

One thing stood out to me though....late in the 3rd quarter, McGrady walked over to JVG while NO was shooting free throws and threw his hands up at him. McGrady must have said something to the effect of "coach, we need some shooters in the game" because as soon as Mac said that, JVG got Novak and Padgett off the bench.

Yes the players sucked Saturday, but my point is why did JVG wait until McGrady said something to put them in? NO ONE was hitting shots, and Mac was getting doubled as soon as he came off the pick...which means whoever set the pick could fade to the 3-point line wide open. What they had been doing prior to that wasnt working, yet we kept doing the same thing all night.
    Looking back, those guys didnt make a difference, but at the same time, the game was already out of control when they came in.To me, stuff like that falls on the coach...

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Yes! Yes!

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

Sorry, you must have me confused with someone else.

I've always said Mister Van Gundy is an adequate NBA head coach. Anyone of that ability should be able to show you how to box out, much less one who is monomaniacal about the defensive end of the court.

You still never answered. Church league or YMCA?

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

DD, did I call my shot or what? ;)

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yep.....they have responded all year...which is GREAT !

DD

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

what's that i hear? sounds like a pin drop.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

it's the sound of van gundy beating a baby with a kitten. he destroys everything!

...oh wait...we won :(

9. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I am retired from basketball, EDC. I just gaze at my number hanging from the rafters at my high school in NJ to remember the good ole days.

And the next time you even slightly complement the Coach, I will personally call the Coach and ask him to go and start another war in the Middle East just to get back at you!

10. macalu

*chirp, chirp* please guys, don't b**** all at once.

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

Then your use of "we" in regards to some sort of organized basketball game last night or tonight is incorrect.

12. W-Mac

haha...you called me an idiot for suggesting Luther get minutes at the point. If im not mistaken, he's been playing the 1 lately, correct? Who's an idiot? :rolleyes:

13. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Yes, yes!!!! Blame Gundy for the 17 losses!!

And who gets the credit for the 30 Victories?

We've got one heck of a good Coach. Gundy for coach of the year!!!

Look what happened to Miami when Shaq went down. They were bad. Right now they are in 8th place in the Eastern Conference.

Here in Housotn, Yao went down and the Rockets are still better than any team in the eastern Conference.

McGrady and crew is better than Wade and Crew? Or is it that Van Gundy is the difference maker?

Van Gundy for Coach of the Year :cool:

14. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

not playing the point well, though. don't know what you two are arguing about (sounds like you called Luther being the backup PG), but your thread is garbage regardless :D

15. macalu

um, no. i never said Luther doesn't get minutes at the 1. i said he shouldn't b/c he's not effective at it. and when you say he's been playing the 1 lately, are you referring to the game where Alston got kicked out? as i recall, he did a crappy job of running the team.

btw, why aren't you criticizing JVG for what a crappy job he's done this homestand? oh yea, that's b/c the Rockets went 4-1. :rolleyes:

16. macalu

he criticized JVG's gameplan when we lost 3 in a row. he then suggested Luther should be our point guard. i got on his case b/c if he's gonna say JVG sucks, don't come in here and suggest something as ridiculous as playing Luther at point.

17. macalu

BTW, Alston played 40 minutes last night. how much time did Luther actually play point guard? IIRC, Lucas came in about the 6 minute mark of the 4th quarter. that leaves 2 minutes when neither Alston or Lucas were on the floor. are you really telling me Luther Head got significant time as the point? hahahahhahhaa.

18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Semantics...

Boy, JVG sure is doing a crappy job this season, hey edc?

19. edc

edc Contributing Member

(1) Assuming you are close enough to him to have Mr. Van Gundy's home or cellular telephone number, your opinion of the man or his basketball coaching ability would be colored by that fact.

(2) Excuse me? I believe I have said Mr. Van Gundy is an adequate if uninspiring NBA head coach, deserves a job in the league (not in Houston), and that he has yet to show he is of "championship caliber." I have also said I know nothing of the man personally, and do not care to know anything of the man personally. How that equates to your statement is beyond me.

20. W-Mac

Just because someone brings an opinion that ruffles some feathers doesnt mean its "garbage"...and this is on the 14th page so it must not be too bad.

Maybe i should have titled the thread "JVG:He's to blame TOO" because my intention wasnt to totally blame Van Gundy. I played sports in HS and College and I know that the players are the one's on the field/court making their impact on the game. But, when players say over and over again "we didnt expect them to come out that intense"....that falls on the coach for not having his guys ready to play!

#280 W-Mac, Feb 6, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.