1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jordan: 'I could have scored 100 points' in today's NBA

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ktbballplaya, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

if he was in the west and got more than 2 shots a year against the warriors, i could see him doing it.

2. showtang043

showtang043 Member

with the way they call fouls, not jut mj thinks that, phil jackson, scottie, most f the people who played with and against mj, these are the guys hwo know best more than hollinger and the other guys in lebron's pocket, he would tear this league apart and maniuplate the no hand checking rule, i dont care if it was more fast paced last time, the amount of free thrws nad fouls called just gives a huge advantage to the offense and not having to deal with the physicality of it like MJ had to, so yea i wouldnt bet against him

3. Scram

Scram Member

The point of the thread could Jordan score 100 points? yes but so could at least 5 other players in the league if they took every shot. Shaq if you feed him the ball im sure could have, kareem possibly could have too, even allen might have there are a bunch of good scores that if they were having a hot night and everyone just gave them the shots.

Jordan is the only guy that could have possibly got 81 and did it with style like Kobe... But even Jordan said Kobe has a better jumper than i had, And so when Kobe gets Hot he gets hot and almost all of the points he had were jumpers and his team still took about half the shots of the game.

Its funny to sit here and talk about this because i agree Jordan could of Done it but if he now regrets not trying it that was his fault he should of gone for that one game and maybe he did but the best he could do is 69 and now he is upset kobe got 81? you never know but i know Jordan was a beast and i know Kobe is the beast of the league now.

4. Steve_Francis_rules

It only took 30 freaking wins for them to make the playoffs without MJ! That team was 30-52. It's not like we're talking about a supporting cast that won 50 games without him.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so based on the fact that there are less free throws now, you're gonna say there are way more free throws now?

6. YaoZow

YaoZow Member

I don't think it's that easy to score 100 points.

Wilt was barely able to get to 100; and that was with alot of garbage help to get him to 100.

I don't think Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq or whoever could have scored 100.

If it was so easy to do, there'd be more than 1 guy to do it. But in 50+ NBA years, only Wilt was barely able to eclipse 100.

7. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Jordan could score 100 without a doubt, I don't think they would win as much as they did if he did though.

8. showtang043

showtang043 Member

based on what is called, that you can't hand check, that gives any fast guard a huge advantage and room to work, jordan was so excelled with a perfect mid range already and crafty and no how, he would just take it all in , the rules allow more free throws now, if the players dont take advantage or use that so where the total stats don't support it, thats one thing, but youll see the top players go to the line for touch fouls which they didnt call in the 90s/80s, thatll give him a huge advantage even if not free throws with no handcehcking it just gives him more room to work

9. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

MJ was so good in his prime he made NBA teams look like fools. I did not enjoy watching NBA in his era becasue of his dominance you knew the results of the game before watching it.

he used to beat teams by large numbers and sit on the bench with a towel on his head for large minutes in the game. he had tons of assists which were possible shots for him and always made teammates and team look better.
    I believe he could have scored a 100 more than onece in todays game if he wanted to especially when there are so many teams that compete for the worst record to get the #1 draft pick.

don't forget 72 win season against a tough eastern conference back then

10. Steve_Francis_rules

I think too many people here are emphasizing the fact that you can't hand check on the perimeter anymore and ignoring the fact that guards are now allowed to drive into the paint, throw themselves at defenders, and get two free throws. I think that would actually have an even bigger effect for MJ if he were playing in today's league. The guy would be at the free throw line every time he got to the basket.

11. Scram

Scram Member

If only a guy played and attacked like Jordan.... oh wait there is,

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V7vu8-hY0ZQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V7vu8-hY0ZQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Do you guys forget that kobe attacks the paint pretty much like Jordan and KObe doesnt get 30 free throws a night the refs doing give it to him off of small touch fouls.... I watch every game and kobe gets hit all game and they call what ones they only give him a 5th of the fouls he should get if he got touch foul calls.

12. Steve_Francis_rules

Kobe plays like the older Jordan of the second three-peat. Kobe does not play like young MJ.

13. bloop

bloop Member

Precisely. The argument has fixed around Jordan > Kobe or that Kobe > Jordan.

Fine, but Jordan being better than Kobe doesn't mean necessarily follow that Jordan could then score 100 points.

IMO neither of these guys could score 100, either in today's NBA or in the 80/90s NBA. I do know that when Jordan was playing, the idea that he could EITHER match Wilt and score 100 or that he could match Russell's rings were basically not even discussed, they were so beyond the realm of possibility.

Kobe scored 81 and that was a tremendous achievement... it's doubtful he could ever score 81 again or could have scored 81 previously at any point. We honestly think that with a handcheck rule change Jordan could have scored 1/3 more points than his best game (when that game particular was already in overtime)? That's r****ded.

back in the day when Jordan was scoring his most and driving the most, are you under the impression that he was NOT getting to the line? some years he averaged nearly 12 FTA per game. hand check or no, Stern already protected Jordan. the reason why the Pistons started beating the **** out of him whenever he went in the lane is because Daly realized that Jordan would get the call either way. might as well hammer him than let him get to the line when there was barely contact.

what are you guys envisioning? exactly how many more free throws are you envisioning with the new rule? the game jordan scored 69 was in overtime, jordan had 23 free throw attempts. let's say he scored 31 more that game to get to 100 and let's assume he hits 100% of his FTA. how many free throws is jordan going to get to get to 100? FIFTY TWO free throws in a single game?? even Stern with all his arrogant corruption would balk at giving Jordan 50 free throws in a single game

Jordan really was never close to 100. never. and in those days Jordan basically took every possible shot every game and tried to score max every time he touched the ball. exactly how do you guys see it going down? since you're talking about hand check and contact in the lane, obviously it's not that jordan makes 10 more 3pointers. it has to be free throws... but honestly you guys see him averaging 4264 more free throws a year than he did back in the 80s to get to a 100 point game?

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I don't know if Jordan would or would not have scored 100 points in today' NBA. However, I am inclined to believe that he would be able to. Kobe is able to as well. The guy not only scored 81 in one game, but 62 in 3 quarters in another.

They both have the ability to because of the rules in today's NBA. Obviously their talent is undeniable as well. So yeah, they are capable. Both theoretically could. That's not saying they would, but they do have what it takes for it.

15. Scram

Scram Member

If you say Kobe didnt/doesnt attack like young Mike then you don't know basketball and never watched Kobe in his younger years.... Go look at kobes dunks and drives on youtube, and kobe didnt do as often maybe 3-4 less some games then Jordan but most of the time he plays similar. The only reason he doesnt attack as much is the fact he has a better jumper then Jordan.

You can't go off shot % per game for their career, ya Kobes Shooting is down but thats because he takes more Jumpers then Jordan did he doesnt do as much lay ups/dunks as jordan which or higher percentage shots...

16. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Yes, it would be r****ded if that were the only reason. But it's not.

There are many more touch fouls called now than there were during Jordan's prime. Look at Kevin Martin and the way he initiates minor contact and goes to the line. If he played in the late 80's/early 90's, how many times do you think that same move would draw a foul? Maybe once per game?

So Jordan would draw more fouls and likely shoot more free throws. Which would slow the game down and allow him to conserve energy.

Centers today are clearly inferior to centers from Jordan's time. As great a finisher as he was against Olajuwon, Eaton, Robinson, Ewing, Mutombo, etc..., can you imagine how much better he'd do against this era's crop of centers?

If he were focused on getting 100 pts (instead of winning), I think Jordan could've done it against the scrub teams like Toronto and Cleveland.

Some years he averaged nearly 12 FTA? Don't you mean 1 year?

And of course he was getting to the line back then. But if he played in today's game, he'd get to the line a lot more.

Why are you focusing on free throws so much? If Jordan were to score 100 pts, the bulk of those points would be coming off FGs.

And you're right. Jordan was never close to 100. But he never wanted to be. I think if Jordan wanted to have 60 FGA, had the blessing of the coach, and his teammates were willing to readily defer to him, he'd do it, especially if he didnt care about losing the game. And lets say he shoots 60% from the field. Assuming they're all 2-pointers, that 72 points. Sprinkle in a few 3 pointers, and thats 75 pts. And then all you need is 25 free throws to get to 100 pts.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Interesting.

The first sentence of your post implies that Kobe did attack like prime Jordan.

And then the rest of the post explains why Kobe didn't attack like prime Jordan.

18. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

The 2006 Lakers won't win 30 without Kobe, that's a given. So MJ still had better support, and he went 1-9 in the playoff without Pippen.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If the 2006 Lakers don't have Kobe, does that mean they still have Shaq? Don't you think it's kind of foolish to talk about Kobe's weak teammates when he's one of the main reasons they were so weak?

Jordan's first year w/ the Bulls was 84-85. The 83-84 Bulls won 27 games, and the two rosters were largely the same with the exception of Mitchell Wiggins who was on the 83-84 roster but not on the 84-85 roster.

So Jordan was part of a roster that proved it couldn't win 30 games without him.

20. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

People forget high FT games ain't high points game. Do you see a lot of free throw in Warriors or Suns games? No. Free throw practically forces the next possession to be a half court play, and that milks the clock. And when there are many FT going around, the game is always a physical, slow-down half court game, in fact, it's hard to scratch 100 for a team total in that kind of game.

You get the highest total when both teams are forcing fastbreak, and getting layups without foul, shooting 3 and making them. MJ in 1987 took 28 FGA along with 12 FTA, that puts him at 34 shots. He's fouled 6 times to free throw line. Let's assume he's now fouled 12 times and shoot 24 FTA a game, that's already a ridiculous number. But he practically only got 2*0.8 = 1.6 - 2 * 0.5 = 0.6 points, with 6 trips, he's going to get 3.6 points. So his season averaged would be like 37.1+3.6=40.7 PPG. However, since tempo's slowed down 10% for the entire league, he's going to get 40.7*0.9 = 36.x PPG out of it. More efficient maybe, not exactly more points.