1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between Luka and the Mavs and Shai and the Thunder. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Jonathan Givony, Bobby Marks on draft and rumors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 31, 2022.

1. hakeemthagreat

My biggest fear is OKC takes Paola and the organization feels FORCED to take Chet, who's gonna be the next Darko Millic.

Imanimal likes this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Silas may improve as a HC. Feasible in only his 3rd year.

That being said, I was hopeful Atkinson would end up replacing him. I don't think he brings the needed discipline but That obviously is hard to do with a young roster and veterans that are stupid.

Mathloom and Milos like this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, we know why you don’t want Chet.

Weird not wanting the best player in the draft.

D-rock likes this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Or he could be the next Pau Gasol, who knows?

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

They said the same thing about Darko too

Fact is he's too skinny and won't ever dominate match ups against bigger centers. He'll get punished & isolated on defense by quicker guards. Also at his size he'll be injury prone. One leg injury for a 7ft center can be career ending. No thanks

6. hakeemthagreat

No. Chet plays like a guard, which isn't good at his size. Bigs like that are prone to ankle injuries

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

2014, McHale... CF: "He doesn't have a system! They're all just running around doing whatever they want!"

2016, Bickerstaff... CF: "He doesn't have a system! They're all just running around doing whatever they want!"

2019, D'Antoni... CF: "He doesn't have a system! They're all just running around doing whatever they want!"

2022, Silas... CF: "He doesn't have a system! They're all just running around doing whatever they want!"

8. Milos

Milos Member

My issue with Silas isn't that I expected playoffs or anything but tanking ... but there are different flavors of tanking

A shortlist of what I don't like about Silas' version of the tank:

Defense
    As you mentioned, they have been piss poor on this end
    Would like to see him teach Wood how to defend the post
    Teach Sengun how to not foul every 55 seconds
    Maybe get our best defender Garuba just a smidge of court time in a lame duck tank season

Professionalism
    I hated the way Silas grabbed his ankles in the face of multiple mutinies
    Wood refuses to check in ...?
    KPJ just bails at half time ...?
    Agh, who cares, welcome back boys ... You're WAY too valuable towards losing every single game to face consequences ... Welcome back fellas!!
    Would be nice to see a tank that can simultaneously ingrain some maturity at some point

Competitive Fight
    A loss counts the same by 1 point just the same as 25
    The first 75% of last year we weren't just losing ... We were routinely down 20+ in the first half
    Why not try installing a culture of tough dogs that fight for 3.5 quarters to keep the game competitive and fun, then go full tank the last 6 mins to secure the loss?
    Teaching the kids that getting embarrassed every night is all good is poor tanking

In summary, just tank better Silas
    Hold players accountable for unprofessional BS
    Develop the defensive side of their games just as much as the OFF end
    Instill an expectation that accepting getting embarrassed will not be tolerated

And most importantly, lose at least 60 times 1 more year for a shot at Vic or Scoot

As Al Davis said ... Just tank better baby!!!

#288 Milos, Jun 12, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    Drift Monkey, D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  9. Milos

Milos Member

Who told you Darko was better than LeBron?!?

Whomever it was ... You should stop asking them about Chet or any other draft prospects

Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  10. j@amc

j@amc Member

I'll be quite surprised if Chet flops. He has a good work ethic. I'd be much more worried about knee injuries (Sampson) than anything else. But the advances that have been made in rehab even make coming back from surgery better than when Sampson played.

And it was a freak fall on a court that had slippery spots that did him in (not the physicality of the game).

#290 j@amc, Jun 12, 2022
    D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I love how people bandy about Kenny Atkinson like he's some type of savant.

People liked to mention him all the time here as a grass-is-greener candidate . As if people were like following the Brooklyn Nets in 2018. You weren't doing that!

He got handed terrible Nets teams and won 20 games a year most of the time. Ok, sounds familiar.

He had 1 year where they went .500, basically before anybody knew that guys like dinwiddie or allen or joe harris or levert were actually semi-decent nba players, and D'Angelo Rusell had a career year, so people gave him COTY talk. They won 42 instead of 28. Good for them!

That's basically it. That's his resume. I don't get why people are convinced this is the magic elixir, espeically with a team that is still in lose now mode. Sure the Rockets could hire him. Or somebody else. Does it matter?

I'm sure he's a fine coach. I'm sure Silas is a fine coach at coach-knowing things. Rockets are a terrible team next year regardless.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Tilman said he expects more wins this year. If we don’t see some improvement I think it’s justified putting Silas on the hot seat.

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

this is Silas last year no matter what. Time to move on.

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I want Mahmoud Abdelfattah as next HC

Rockets have been grooming him.

Hopefully he joins as an assistant this year

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

the process with Chet has been in absolutely no way comparable to that with Darko. The only comparable things about them so they are both tall and white.

Darko was more of an unknown who came on strongly. Even then it was a known that he was extremely raw and would not get great development initially under Larry Brown.

Chet’s been a known and hyped prospect for half a decade has a full season of college tape, plus completely different than Darko did, etc.

If one wants to look at a comp for Chet to not succeed look no further than Bol Bol.

#296 JayZ750, Jun 12, 2022
    D-rock, pmac, Milos and 1 other person like this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

nbadraft.net has presti taking ivey now o_O

D-rock and Corrosion like this.
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

MDA is the best coach to have never won it and the Rockets 2018 are one of the best teams to have not won a title - EVER.

There is no reason we should have been competitive in a series with a 72-win team that added Kevin Durant. The only thing that was keeping us there was Harden's gravity and MDA outcoaching the living F out of Kerr. I'm sure Morey was feeding that with stats.

If you think about it rationally, we should have been out 4-1 or 4-0 like every other team built around 1.5 stars trying to beat the Warriors. Lebron got his ass handed to him in his prime. People don't understand that the Rockets were the only team that didn't bow down to super teams in those years (along with Lebron).

It's insane that we were 5-8 against them. The rest of the entire NBA didn't beat KD's Warriors 5 times in the playoffs, IIRC.

19. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

So Chet or Paolo, stone can't mess this up.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

that’s not how I read it. I read it as Paolo or Chet/Jabari.

we still dont know what OKC is thinking. ORL could choose Chet … then it’s Jabari or Paolo.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and RasaqBoi like this.