1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Givony, Bobby Marks on draft and rumors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 31, 2022.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I took some notes while watching. It's in this Twitter thread but I'll edit the post to include it all.

- Both Givony and Marks have Chet #1 on their boards.

- Givony hears Orlando is locked in on Jabari Smith, but says the Magic are going to bring Jabari, Chet and Paolo to their gyms, get to know all three and select the best one. He believes Jabari is the one they will ultimately select.

- Givony: "There's a lot of merits there. Jabari just turned 19. He's the best shooter in this draft. He plays with incredible intensity. He's a great fit. People rave about his work ethic, his character. There's a lot to be said for Jabari Smith as the #1."

- Bobby Marks doesn't think OKC will even consider Banchero. He believes it will be Chet Holmgren at #2 without hesitation. If Orlando takes Chet, he thinks OKC takes Jabari. Marks: "I don't think it should be much of a debate between (Chet) and a player like Paolo Banchero."

- While Givony raves about a Jalen Green-Jaden Ivey duo as "the most athletic backcourt in the NBA," he says "teams that I talked to don't expect that to happen... At this stage, it feels like Houston is comfortable with Paolo. That's the overwhelming expectation around the league."

- Givony thinks if anyone trades up with the Rockets, it will be to get Paolo: "A lot of NBA teams still think (Paolo) is the #1 player in this Draft. It's not a consensus here that Chet or Jabari are #1. More people have that than not, but Paolo has a lot of fans."

- Givony believes three players really helped themselves at the combine or at recent pro days: Jalen Williams, Jaden Hardy and Marjon Beauchamp.

- Kevin Pelton thinks Tari Eason has the widest range/disparity in projections. He's 5th in his "stats-only" board and calls him "extremely productive on a permanent basis.." He doesn't see star potential but projects him as the type of player the Grizzlies bring off the bench.

- Each host was asked to give a bold draft prediction. Givony's prediction is the Knicks will trade to #4 for Jaden Ivey. The prediction by Marks? "Paolo Banchero goes at #3, but not by Houston. Do I have to give the team? (laughs) I'm going to say Portland at #3."

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Should we be alarmed if teams pass on Chet and he falls to us?

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

God I hope we don't end up with Chet.

PhilCollins, TexAg713, Bo6 and 14 others like this.
  4. MystikArkitect

No you draft Chet and hope the #3 pick continues to deliver.

BigMaloe, clos4life, csnerd84 and 5 others like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

If Chet drops to us that’s a huge win, getting the best player in the draft at 3 is a win.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I think they're saying the exact opposite. Marks thinks OKC takes Chet without hesitation and doesn't even consider Paolo.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Only because Presti didn’t take him and he is a pretty good evaluator. The fact the Magic passed on him means nothing…. If Smith and Banchero are gone, you listen to trade offers at #3 and if you aren’t blown away you take Chet and smile.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not in the least.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah this is more consistent with what Presti has expressed in the past. He would have taken Mobley #1 last year and he loves Wenbanyama… Holmgren fits that mold of player. I would think OKC takes him.

10. xaos

xaos Member

Great answer

raining threes, saleem and HP3 like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess it's Banchero then.

I'm ok with any of the 3 that drops. I'm also ok with trading down for some combination of ivey, Duren, Eason, Dyson Daniels and Sochan.

Despite Jalen Williams' stock skyrocketing I dont think he gets picked before 17th so I'm hoping he drops to us.

raining threes, saleem and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It feels like there's almost no drama for us at the top of the draft. It's felt that way since shortly after the lottery results. It's like Jabari and Chet were the clear top two and Paolo was third.

A lot can change between now and the draft but I would be surprised if that's not how it goes.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Sengun’s days are numbered once Paolo gets drafted…his fans should prepare themselves now

futilman, TEXNIFICENT, Denovo and 7 others like this.
  14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i still wouldnt gamble on Chet - even at 3...
    i just dont see that build being able to hold up in the NBA.... and if he bulks up - i dont think his frame can hold up...
    jus my opinion...

everyday eddie, jim1961 and AXG like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets gonna get the best players in back-to-back drafts despite not having the number one pick in either. :cool:

[​IMG]

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm only interested in the Kings unprotected 2023 draft plus Ivey if Stone trades down. If he thinks Ivey is the better pro than I'm fine at taking him at 3 without any additional assets or players.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

5012651C-E09F-491C-B794-3AB4D7413EF8.gif

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I cant see a direct trade b/w Portland and Houston that leads to us dropping back to #7.

saleem, joshuaao, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Sengun is a facilitating big who can score, and Banchero is a scoring big who can facilitate. Both will improve on D and shooting 3s. They’ll be fine together.