1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[John McWhorter] Is it racist to expect black kids to do math for real?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 2, 2021.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Handel is one of my top 5 of anything go to for studying. Any other suggestions??

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The piece that got me hooked on listening to classical music way back in grade school was this:

I remember a class where we had to do a presentation on a historical figure and I chose Mozart simply so I could have an excuse to play this music to the classroom. The Mozart piano concerti, especially the later ones, are all masterpieces.

peleincubus likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Nothing about western music being taught means supreme, but he frames it this way; IE his unconscious bias is showing. He's the only one suggesting the fact that the people writing most of the music happened to be white because of geography implies supremacy. It's like he's damning the whole system because not all professors went to India to master foreign niches like Punjabi classical rather than just teaching based on an evolved set of traditions within their learned sphere. If you looked past the 17th century, you'll find all sorts of changes that take place which can still be broken down by classic music theory as it evolved and then as you need you can make contributions. You can still take a Rock song and analyze a chord progression with music theory that dates back to the Greeks. You can analyze EDM as well. Just because the books are part of an academic evolutionary line isn't racist or supremacist. Instead of complaining, he should go write a modern music theory book. I bet it would be awesome too, because he is extremely open minded and knowledgeable about various modern forms. But instead of creating, he is about "deconstruction". Or, basically in layman's terms, destroying. This is typical of an entitled generation that wants fame and attention the easy way. Anyone with half a brain can destroy something. But to create something; that is what takes talent. It's a shame he wastes his on such endeavors. I'm sure his music, that he creates, is great though. A shame his academic pursuits aren't up to par.

#23 dachuda86, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Also for this thread... the argument about racism and math is ridiculous. Most of the people seeking to deconstruct, or really just destory, our current academic world are either A: Lazy, entitled, and want the attention of being a destroyer and the brownie points for being so clever to point out what millions haven't noticed before somehow or B: sociopath assholes intent on destroying western society because they have a chip on their shoulder and need professional help.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True

math and science are the only subjects that can’t be manipulated

like how many nba finals has Harden taken the Rockets to?
    The answer is 0

doesn’t matter what race or gender or age
    That answer is always the same
    @Reeko

here’s another math problem
    Add the total number of nba finals games Mike D Antoni and Tracy McGrady started in

#25 tinman, Mar 30, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    dachuda86 likes this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I don't recommend taking Chemistry as a 10th grader. It could cause you to miss a portion of your basketball season. Doesn't matter what your race is.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The D&D is full of art history dropouts
    They can’t figure out which ones are Monet and which are Renoir
    Doubt they understand basic geometry

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Ahhh I meant any more German composers. Mozart and Handel are really the two I have listened to the most.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Turley comments on the sheet music topic:

"From Sheets To Skulls: Universities Facing Calls For Fundamental Changes In Academic Disciplines":

https://jonathanturley.org/2021/03/...-fundamental-changes-in-academic-disciplines/

excerpt:

I do not agree with the challenges to sheet music and forensic anthropology, but I would be interested in listening to such a debate. The problem is that there is little faith anymore about the ability to debate such issues. While many insist that “we need to talk about race,” academics are routinely fired and investigated after engaging in such discussions. Indeed, intent often does not matter in the use of terms challenged as offensive in classes or writings.

In their column on forensic anthropology, Professors DiGangi and Jonathan Bethard note that their challenge is likely to make many uncomfortable but insists that such feelings are just the residue of racism coming forward:

“We anticipate that this discussion may displease some readers and/or make them uncomfortable. The irony is that this reluctance and discomfort are part and parcel of the insidious nature of structural racism, as discussed earlier. Our white privilege allows us to not see it unless it affects us directly and therefore we deny or downplay its existence and/or significance, even though it is hiding in plain sight.”

However, there is also the discomfort of any faculty that they cannot challenge such racism claims without putting their careers and future academic opportunities at risk. The result is a silence that is reinforced by canceling campaigns. Many professors actively target dissenting voices on campuses and, in so doing, intimidate others from speaking out. This statement is an excellent example. While saying that they want to have a debate, DiGangi and Bethard dismiss any expressions of discomfort “as part and parcel of the insidious nature of structural racism.” In other words, feel free to disagree but your objections will be treated as evidence of the hold of structural racism on you and your institution.​

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I guess the main issue here is what CRT means to the average person and what it's proposing to change. I've seen it thrown around in Con circles but not woke enough to see what it means for both sides.

Not sure if removing sheet music adds anything culturally, as destruction for the sake of isn't really productive in any conversation.

As for introducing a wider spectrum of music...why not? Eurocentrism mostly dying on its own increasingly sterile weight.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"In the Name of Equity, California Will Discourage Students Who Are Gifted at Math":

https://reason.com/2021/05/04/california-math-framework-woke-equity-calculus/

excerpt

California's Department of Education is working on a new framework for K-12 mathematics that discourages gifted students from enrolling in accelerated classes that study advanced concepts like calculus. . . .

"All students deserve powerful mathematics; we reject ideas of natural gifts and talents," reads a bullet point in chapter one of the framework. "The belief that 'I treat everyone the same' is insufficient: Active efforts in mathematics teaching are required in order to counter the cultural forces that have led to and continue to perpetuate current inequities."

The entire second chapter of the framework is about connecting math to social justice concepts like bias and racism: "Teachers can support discussions that center mathematical reasoning rather than issues of status and bias by intentionally defining what it means to do and learn mathematics together in ways that include and highlight the languages, identities, and practices of historically marginalized communities." Teachers should also think creatively about what math even entails: "To encourage truly equitable and engaging mathematics classrooms we need to broaden perceptions of mathematics beyond methods and answers so that students come to view mathematics as a connected, multi-dimensional subject that is about sense making and reasoning, to which they can contribute and belong."
    more at the link

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sounds pretty on brand for far left social constructionists/post-modern thinking.

These ideas never go anywhere, thankfully. The dragon of chaos has a habit of eating itself.

adoo, JumpMan and jiggyfly like this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I like that saying but in that carnage a lot of other things and people get eaten as well.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

The article makes it seem like it's already been implemented when it's actually about to enter review to decide whether to implement it or not. I hope it gets shot down. I also disagree entirely with letting some students opt out of mathematics if it's not for them like the author suggests. Math is just logic. Even someone working a register at a grocery store needs to understand basic arithmetic. Everyone at some point takes out a loan. Wouldn't it be nice if everyone was familiar with basics like percentages so they don't get fleeced by poorly written contracts?

And saying Calculus is overrated? It's the math that got us to the moon. It's the math that helps figure out murders by using Calculus to figure out bullet trajectory to see where shells and bullets have landed to collect as evidence for investigations. It's one of the most precise languages to describe motion in time ever thought of. And while not necessary for every career, it would be useful if everyone had a better understanding of it, if only to appreciate the positive impact it's had on society as a whole and that it is one of the best methods at describing what's real.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Some polticians would rather address inequality through gaslighting social agendas rather than actually tackling root causes such as disparities in early childhood education rates, homeownership rates, excess incarceration so on and so forth.

It's what leads to failed policies like affirmative action. Stuff like affirmative action addresses problems when they are too late. You need to address disparities in math education between people in poor communties and well off suburbs by giving children in poor communties more resources rather than just arbitrarily evening the playing field when it's too late.

And not learning calculus in high school creates a signficant disadvantage for students who want to pursue a STEM education as most kids who enter college entering engineering and science majors are taking multivariable calculus by their freshman year already. So the kids who didn't take AP calc are going to be far behind and those courses build off each other and are prerequisites for the rest of their engineering or science curriculum causing students to be multiple semesters behind if they start off with calc 1 in their first year.

#35 fchowd0311, May 5, 2021
    Last edited: May 5, 2021
    London'sBurning likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

Ya like 90% of my mechanical engineering education was centered around calculus. It is literally the language of physics.

London'sBurning and Andre0087 like this.
  17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

California actually banned all the lower level math classes from community colleges, so while we all hope this garbage goes nowhere, sadly sometimes it does. The community college my mom teaches at fired most of their part time math teachers after the ban.

18. fchowd0311

I don't know if these are far left activists or polticians who'd rather not address systemic economic issues head on.

19. adoo

adoo Member

once again, OG is easily fooled by intellectually dishonest half-assed writers.

anyone who has an understanding of the education system knows that $ talks. BS walks.

Calif DOE, like any other DOE, will not walk away from easy $ (funding for math, science and AP classes. etc)

my sister is a school teacher in the LAUSD, who is forever encouraging teachers to identify 4-baggers, minority students enrolled in AP math, AP science, ESL.

4-baggers will generate 4 additional sources of funding

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Liar.

And you have the nerve to bring your mom into it.