1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

James Harden FU thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4lf, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

You say that until he's traded away and then suddenly the media heaps praises on him and his new pairing playing so well in whatever more preferred media market

HP3 likes this.
  2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Harden's legacy is going to be odd if he doesn't win a chip. Especially if he goes to Boston, Miami, Nets, or Philly. No more excuses at that point. Championship or bust.

Guess it'll be a lot like Wilt's. Great player, amazing numbers, but missing that final piece to cement him among other all-time players.

HoustonWest likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yeah Harden is Superman! Take this POS midget roster to the promised land. LOL!!!
    Newbie, cheap HC has a new offense struggling & has no defensive identity. Newbie GM thinks a bunch 6’4 guys can guard Lebron. Tillman quit this summer!The Harden Era is done man. They peaked in 2018. Couldn’t beat the Warriors. It’s over. The rebuild is on now!

#63 TEXNIFICENT, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  4. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Funny how you think this position you proposed is equivalent to Harden's.... Perhaps he's speaking from if he was in Harden's perspective situation and not this garbage you just wrote.

5. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Wilt is a champion you casual

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His frustration is understandable. I think it's wise not to paint him as the villian as that isn't going to bring talent that wants to stay here.

It's a sad result but yeah, the Rockets just don't look like a very good team in any aspect of the game. And you can't blame Harden for that. You change the Owner, GM, bring in a rookie coach, and other personnel as well as major roster changes and you are likely to have a mess for a while.

tycoonchip likes this.
  7. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

I'd say he'll be compared more to Wilkins and Malone -- great, but most certainly a tier below the Kobes and Wades.

Fact is he never was able to turn up "another gear" when it mattered the most: clutch playoff time. He had his moments, and generally played exceptionally well in the playoffs. But he was predictable and his style of play could be contained during crunch times.

What's extremely disappointing is he could've cemented his legacy as one of the all-time greats if he had the clutch ability of someone like Lillard or Jokic. His biggest clutch moment (off the top of my head) was against Golden State, and it was spectacular.

It was the shot over Green and Thompson -- unfortunately during the regular season.

Sad ending, but I must say, Harden is not impervious to criticism. He may feel like he's given "everything" to the team, but even with Fertitta's "cheapness" I'd say the team gave him "everything".

There's got to be more to the story than Harden suddenly being upset at ownership. Perhaps it's dicking around on a contract for Tucker, who knows. Or maybe he expects ownership to pay ~$85mil in luxury taxes to show they're "committed".

I will say that while there are valid criticisms for Fertitta being "broke" or "cheap", Morey had been avoiding the tax before the ownership change -- I don't fully believe it was a directive from ownership as much as it was Morey's dedication to maintaining "flexibility" with a roster.

__

While we know the farewell is upon us, it will probably be a frustrating couple of years, hoping the team can manage to rebuild via drafts or trades. It's going to be tough to compete for a while and as soon as Harden is gone-gone, it will be obvious how horrendous the remaining talent on this roster is.

All I am saying is: I hope the Rockets don't end up irrelevant like Sacramento or Minnesota. Here's to hoping the team can develop a more appealing -- and winning -- style of play over the coming seasons.

JayGoogle likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Who said he didn't lol? I said a lot like Wilt. Wilt was known for coming up short despite putting up numbers that even an NBA 2k player would be proud of...and remember, less teams, teams were more stacked then, but he came up short more often than he succeeded. It's always hurt his legacy whereas Bill didn't put up the numbers but of course succeeded more often than he did not.

People always debate Wilt as being the best ever, his numbers would say so, but his team success does not. Harden's numbers are historic but his team success is...meh...so his legacy reminds me of Wilt...but I guess even that's an insult for some Harden fans.

EDIT: Has to be said, not old enough to seen Wilt play but all I've read and seen about people judging his legacy always question why he didn't win more. The league just wasn't as competitive as it is now.

#68 JayGoogle, Jan 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Doubtful especially if he doesnt win a ring.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, unless he wins at his next destination he'll never get put over Kobe or Wade and it makes it easier for other two guards to pass over him if they come in and win.

He'll always be one of the most prolific scorers ever, I guess that's why I said like Wilt, because Harden put up numbers that didn't seem real and he scored with such ease. I guess Iverson's legacy is kind of similar but Iverson had playoff moments and was just so gritty and an underdog so it's hard for anyone to match that legacy because of who AI was.

I agree with that though, people get on me for it but I agree. I just don't have many memories of Harden going off and saving the team in the playoffs or securing a victory.

He had his moment, game 7, CP3 out, that was his moment then and there to cement at least that. Put the team on his back, win game 7 against an all-time historic team, get enough rest for CP3 to come back for the finals...but the team put up a dud.

In reality, these moments for players to make their legacy don't come by often and I feel like Harden has let his slip one too many times. He's 31, he can still go to Philly or Boston and win I guess...but that's what I mean that it is all or nothing now for him. If it doesn't work out in the next place I think people will always see him as a super talented scorer that was also too selfish to get it.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah I could see if Harden didn't make a ultimatum to trade CP3 for Westbrook. The next organization he's with he'd be smart just to buy in and truly sacrifice in the right ways to do all he can to win a championship.

12. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Well OK. His press after the game ("can't be fixed"), is the clearest sign for me, a delusional, that Harden is not trying to give this cast a chance. Goodbye then. Having said that,

I LOVE THE HARDEN YEARS.

13. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

Maybe that was the point that was lost on you...that Harden (as I said in another thread) is like a Rocket fired deep into space and ISOlated for so long, that he lost touch with his sensibility and he needs to humble himself and come back down to Earth. But I guess your brain is such rubbish that it couldn't grasp that concept.

14. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Guess it'll be a lot like Wilt's. Great player, amazing numbers, but missing that final piece to cement him among other all-time players

No one questions Wilt being cemented among the other all-time greats... And he has that final piece.

They question him not being THE GOAT... and he's not thought of as it, but had the potential seemingly.

15. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

More likely he wins one elsewhere than here... Especially when he gets the chance to choose a star teamup himself like others have done.

16. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Whatever you just said is absolutely irrelevant to the post you made here that I responded to.... Apparently you can't grasp that relevancy.

17. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

This is the dumbest statement I've ever seen on CF. Players and teams work together to develop the contract that they mutually operate under. Neither side has to sign it. The compensation is wildly, ridiculously generous.

It is not unreasonable to expect someone to honor their word to you.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You ar ein dream land like Harden. In order to get harden you would have to trad epeices. he wont be going to no super team and if he were he'd **** it up and choke in the playoffs.

20. sushimaster

sushimaster Member

If you don't even know what I said, then it's you that can't grasp the relevancy...errr???