1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Quite literally the most rapid pace in development for a NBA player happens around ages 20-23. Two reasons: that's when the frontal lobe becomes fully connected so maturity is greatly increased during that span and that is when atheltes are fully grown in to their adult bodies and fill out in terms of muscle development.

So ya, the difference in development is significantly different from 19 to 20 compared to let's say 25 to 26.

It's the matter of fact level of certainty about a player's ceiling to a player who is in their 3rd NBA season(the season where most star players start "getting it") AND joined a year later in the NBA.

Jalen Green at 19 and only in his first quarter of his rookie season only is averaging 2 less points than Morant's rookie season on 5% less efg% while also being a year younger at that time. I'm certain by the end of the season Green will increase that scoring and efficiency nearly match Morant's rookie season and he would do it a year younger than Morant.

#881 fchowd0311, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude, the real world revolves around results...it is not a fantasy world.

He got in at 19 on his talent and proclaimed to be ready having played in the G-League.

He bit off more than he could chew.

That is now history and a fact.

So Mozart proclaimed himself ready and wrote symphonies at age 8......so what, he felt he was ready.

Do I discriminate against him because he is only a kid, no, I welcome prodigies.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morant isn't just a scorer, he is a triple threat, and that is indeed rarer than a Kobe light if he turns out to be that.

No matter of how ready he was at 19.

4. fchowd0311

Lol "the real world". You are the one making matter of fact statements that Green will never be good as a player in their third year who joined the league a year older also.

Why not at least wait until his rookie season is over.

He's doing fine and is progressing as the season moves forward. You make such certain claims for a 19 year old who played less than 20 NBa games in their lives so far.

Ja also regressed his second year. If Green still has a efg% less than 50% by his second season like Morant, that would be a problem. I wouldn't write him off because if you look at Morant, he significantly improved from his second to third year. Morant has made a pretty big leap from his second to third year. This is when many star players make big jumps in their progression. Let's at least see what happens when Green makes those progressions before you write certainty into his career.

#884 fchowd0311, Nov 21, 2021
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Also, why are you stalking my post just because I posted about Morant?

Did I say I am against Green getting minutes or playing more?

The answer is a short No.

Your agenda has nothing to do with me or my post. I was just giving credit to Morant.

You just got yourself into this situation thinking what you think is right.

And flash your 19 age card whenever you feel like it.

I am not against you, just your inexplicable behavior right now.

Starting a random convo that I did not wish to partake in.

6. fchowd0311

Okay if we are going to make **** up about "agendas", you responded "definitely" to a post that said "that's not happening" about a claim the Green can one day he at the level of Morant and now you want to say you were just merely just praying Morant? Are you trying to be cute? You can't pull it off dude.

Like obviously you were making a comparison to Green and it's stupid. Green is 19 and has played less than 30 games and Morant is in his third season and joined a year later in the NBA. Neither you or I have any clue what level of player Green will be at 23.

Between you and I, you are the one writing certainty into the future of a 19 year old kid.

Why do you pretend being 19 in the NBA doesn't matter? Do you think Green's physical development is finished or something? Yes, being 19 freaking matters. I'm not pulling it out "whenever I feel like". I'm pulling it out when it's relevant to the god damn discussion.

Dobbizzle and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Who started this, you or me? You just use your eyes and look at history.

If you have your answer, have a nice rest of the weekend.

8. fchowd0311

Who started this? Are we in grade school?

You made a comment that agreed pretty matter of factly that Green will never reach Morant level and I commented on why I believe that's premature and now you want to make it personal. People disagree. I'm posting why I disagree. You are the first person bringing up non sequiturs about "agendas".

But hey, agree with a comment about player progression from a poster who has become a forum wide meme for the exact opposite happening compared to his prediction when it comes to how good or bad a player will become.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Because you seem to be dat dude that can't let go.

Dadakota made the remark and I only confirmed some of his comment.

.....Yep, right, I made that comparison, sure. Tell yourself that.

I thought you were better than this but honestly you are probably not.

Look, we make jokes about Dadakota but he is a person, so what if he is wrong, he is part of the community.

Yes, it is a community. Give or take, we shouldn't be 'hunting him down' because he is wrong about sports.

That is very dangerous itself.

10. fchowd0311

I cannot assume what remark you "confirmed" when you quote the part that said "that's not going to happen" when referring to if Green will ever become as good as Morant is now on with "definitely".

I replied to you with my disagreement with an explanation of why I disagree because...

It's a internet message board and that's what people do and then you got offended and were b****ing about "agendas".

And to type "you are that dude who can't let go" when you are also partaking in the back and forth shows a level of self-awareness that is not something to be proud of. Because it kinda takes two to tango to have a "back and forth".

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He is showing growth, I am very happy with his progression.

DD

12. fchowd0311

Making fun of Dakota's player evaluation skills is not dangerous. Dakota has a thick skin because he actually does get harassed by other posters here in terms of making fun of his personal characteristics because he has the self-confidence to post videos of himself here. And I've actually literally not only reported those comments but told those posters they are pieces of **** for that.

13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be a stupid person.

DD

14. conquistador#11

Don't look now but Anfernee Sengun, Cade and Green now have the best per 36 from their rookie class, at least from the peers they get compared to often.
    (Sengun 17pts, 9rbds, 4 asst / Cade 17 pts, 5 assists, 7 rbds/Green 16 pts, 3 assists, 4 rebounds
    Scottie putting up 10pts and 2pts in back to back performances. Scottie doesn't know. Scottie doesn't know.

Though it doesn't feel like it, I think Silas will eventually start Anfernee after Christmas.

And as Green evolves into a scorer the new goal posts will be : all he does is score and paint his nails like a chubby athletic catcher.

1/4 of the season almost gone. Not 82 games, we talkin bout 20 games.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah but that was already 5-8 years ago, oh golly, time flies.

Not only that, the other danger that is you would easily think people have no redeeming qualities.

He continues to be wrong but he has at least slowed down his volume posting.

Empathy you are showing 19 year olds you should also show it to your fellow posters sometimes.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I am wrong sometimes, right sometimes - the narrative that I am always wrong comes from me posting too damned much......

And many times completely out of context - take VSpan for instance - all I ever said was that Rafer sucked and VSpan should be given a chance - to see if he would be any good, but it developed into a love affair with a marginal player on this board (Mostly because I posted the same ISH over and over).

Also, I am unafraid of taking a stance......to help drive conversations.

Carry on you two.

DD

BelgianRocketsFan and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are good for clearing that up.

From where I stand, there is nothing to carry on, there never was, he had a problem with me saying something about Morant and I was fed up with this whole being 19 year old and excused of anything drivel.

(You and me know precisely that by age 19 soccer players are almost known commodities)

In the end it is about NBA players I never met and life styles that are way above mine.

#897 daywalker02, Nov 21, 2021
  18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Lots of improvement after 19 for soccer players too - some guys just develop late.

That being said, while happy with Green's development and future, I don't see him ever reaching Ja Morant's level.....I mean Morant is an attack at all costs mentality, he is used to being "THE MAN"

I don't see that in Green's attitude at all, I see a "Hey look at me, I am in the NBA" type of personality, more so than someone that is DYING TO WIN!

But, he is only 19, maybe he gets that later on?

DD

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Seems like some “fans” get grumpy when Jalen plays well. Wonder why?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There has been a trend in the last years where bigger ball clubs target 15 year olds and have the exact scouting.

They can't sign because they are not adults but their managers/family give consent by word.

You have the trajectory but if they fail, they can still sign with smaller teams.

With Ronaldo you knew that he was an alien early on. The fat Ronaldo.