1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I had high hopes going into this season about Jalen Green, his athleticism, his year in the G-league supposedly giving him an advantage.

So far through only 3 games in the preseason, he is shooting .342FG overall and 25% on 3s.

I am not sure what I expected, but I did expect him to be better than what I have seen, he is really poor at defense, seems to be clueless on running plays or cutting, just seems much further away than I was hoping from a number 2 pick.

Clearly it is just preseason, and this is a super small sample size - so wondering what everyone else's expectations are for him.

I am lowering mine, I don't think he should start, should be behind Eric Gordon for the first half of the year, he needs to learn how to play the NBA game.

DD

leebigez, Y2JT, Purvis2Short and 4 others like this.
  2. Juxtaposed Jolt

I generally disagree with people that don't like starting rookies on a rebuilding team. This isn't like drafting a QB fresh out of college and making him a day 1 starter in the NFL. The chasm of talent, speed and experience is far greater there than in the NBA.

There's nothing to lose by throwing Green into the proverbial fire. There's no better way to learn the NBA game than by playing legit NBA games.

This isn't a Davis Mills situation where the guy is clearly not ready to be QB1 on an NFL team (contenders or otherwise).

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

very disappointed in green. he isn't fit for silas' complex offense

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Is the goal to win games this year? If so, then you play John Wall and Eric Gordon.

But I don’t think that’s the goal. The goal is accelerate the growth of the young players by giving them ample playing time. So, I’m fine with sticking with Porter Jr. and Green. We are going to lose a ton, there’s no question about that.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm going to give it more time, but right now I think this team still needs a PG.

Even in the first game when Scoot had a good game, he didn't really do a good job of getting everyone involved in the offense.
    Some of that is on Silas too.
    But no matter how much he says it, he just doesn't look like a natural PG to me at this point.

As much as I hate Ben Simmons, if Philly comes down on their asking price he may be worth a look. This starting unit needs a natural facilitator. They have too many guys who's natural instinct is to score first, pass second.

amaru, DeBeards, Highlyrated and 8 others like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hear ya, but he just looks lost to me, and I think Gordon can show him the way, maybe let EGo start until Green gets a better understanding, and then trade EGo to clear the way, but to me, Green and KPJ look awful together, the - there is only one ball - situation is hurting them both.

In addition Sengun is by far and away the most NBA ready rookie - he should be starting, but for crying out loud someone cut for the man when he is at the high post.

DD

DeBeards, Purvis2Short, Milos and 8 others like this.
  7. 18pbr

18pbr Member

I think his first season he will average between 15-17points per game on low efficiency. Which is okay because other greats were not that efficient during their rookie season also. He will be fine, lets see how he actually plays in the regular season. But i expect him to have Anthony Edwards type of year struggle early on but then gets adjusted to the NBA speed and start kicking some ass.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is ridiculous

1st, it’s preseason, so u can throw stats and shooting percentages out the window because we’ve seen guys go off in preseason and then the regular season starts and it’s back to reality, and most rookies don’t come out on fire

Anthony Edwards had 37/30/81 shooting splits averaging 15 ppg pre-ASB…post ASB that jumped up to 45/35/76 shooting splits and 24 ppg

Bad defense? We all know that was gonna be the case.

Clueless on offense? He did whatever he wanted in high school. They ran no offense in the G-League. Silas said he’s not gonna be running many plays in preseason and will have the guys out there freestyling to gain chemistry. Has Green had any real offensive structure in his basketball life? No

Don’t think he should start?

[​IMG]

this is a garbage team that will be at the top of the lottery and u think our #2 overall pick shouldn’t start…

he will learn the NBA game by getting in-game reps and experience, not by sitting on the bench to watch bonehead EG brick and scream at the refs after every tragic drive to the rim…there is no mentor type vet here

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

turk and moochie would've been a killer duo. moochie was a backdoor cut master.

DeBeards and hakeem94 like this.
  10. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

11. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

It must suck in an age of Instant gratification to have this sorta tall mediocre build 19 yr old from
    Turkey make Jalen and KPJ look like some little league children.

Jalen actually thought he would be good on D. Both thought they could go 2k on offense. They’ll settle down and eventually get there but they need to go to the church of Sengun. That dude is a natural and ready.

Williamson, NewAge, GotGame15 and 4 others like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

There's a lot of things Green needs to work on, his shooting, ball handling, passing and gain more muscles.

He can't seem to be able to just create off the dribble against NBA defense like in the G league. Everyone is stronger and bigger

NewAge and PeterKingX like this.
  13. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

I agree to lower expectations. He will have atrocious shooting nights. There will also be lots of TO just because he doesnt have the strength yet.

We will all be lucky if he gets last year's saddiq bey numbers. In fact, we should give him that type of role.

PeterKingX likes this.
  14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Sengun in the lineup would help him look a lot better that's for sure.

15. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

A lot of overreaction over a 19-year old in the preseason. He's played three games against NBA competition. Three.

I'm not worried about him in the least, once the rotations settle down and he gets settled in, he'll be fine. He does have a lot of things to work on like any rookie (including SenGod), but I'm confident he'll get there.

ElDobleK and i3artow i3aller like this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, time to chill. He hasn't looked good but rookies are always inconsistent. I'm sure he's giong to go through hot stretches and cold stretches.

He's going to fail, it's how he responds to it that matters.

DeBeards, Y2JT and ElDobleK like this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Yep let’s trade this bum. Hasn’t showed anything in 3 preseason games so he must be a bust :rolleyes:

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

What do I expect? Probably 15 points a game before the break and 18-20 after the break. He isn’t the transcendent talent like some seem to think. He has some size limitations and he also has some issues with court vision. He just isn’t terribly long or strong and he isn’t a great creator. However he is extremely quick and he is a good shooter.

I’m not so concerned about how many points he scores and more concerned with his efficiency. He takes entirely too many difficult shots for a player with his quickness and shooting ability. He doesn’t get to the basket and finish or draw fouls as often as he should. The hope is with his skill set he improves in that area.

Defensively he isn’t terribly gifted. He isn’t long or tall or strong and isn’t all that special moving his feet sideways. There is no reason he can’t be adequate with hard work and possibly better If his instincts are good.

Green is less like a modern swing and more like shooting guards from a different generation. He can shoot and score and get to the basket. He isn’t a point guard, he isn’t terribly gifted as a passer or creator for others.

He can be a player similar to Booker or Beal as far as impact. Some fans expect more, to me that’s a good return for the second player in the draft.

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Expectation is the enemy of joy. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. Green will be a great #2 for Banchero.

conquistador#11, DeBeards and Milos like this.
  20. i3artow i3aller

Something tells me CF is going to overreact with each and every game. We're not even out of preseason and look where we are. If Green puts up a bad stat line then suddenly he'll be an overrated Emoni armed chucker devoid of any other skills. Let's give Jalen and all our young guys much needed support and room to grow. Why not allow them to blossom into the players they'll eventually become without chastising them at every turn?

Meaningful minutes and in game experience are exactly the kind of royal jelly necessary for young prospects to unlock their latent potential. One learns the NBA game best by playing in actual NBA games, and there's no substitute for this brand of on the job training. It'll be trial by fire, and it's going to take time and patience on our part especially as the losses pile up. Mistakes will be made on a nightly basis but it'll be well worth it once it's all said an done.

As far as team success goes I've seen a lot of people hoping to make the play in tournament and always found that to be overly optimistic as well as remarkably short sighted. The next two years should be all about player development and drafting well when we're back in the lottery. Some here may not like that approach, but there is sound thinking behind it. I'm sure people will point to the disaster going on in Philadelphia, but I trust our front office to out draft the 76ers. I'd say they've earned it after this last draft. Then in year three, when we don't own our first round pick, our team will finally start to takeoff

On a positive note the organic chemistry being formed by our band of brothers is something not often seen in professional sports today. They genuinely root for each other to be successful in this league and in life. That's one aspect I hope they never grow out of for it will serve them well going forward and will only increase our championship aspirations.

#20 i3artow i3aller, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021