1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's gonna be the next Ja Morant. Just keep driving

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That would be amazing, but that is not happening, Ja is just something unique to the NBA right now.

DD

tycoonchip likes this.
  3. xaos

xaos Member

There's definitely a lot of similarities. I'd compare him to Ja before I compare him to Lavine imo

4. i3artow i3aller

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think they are pretty similar in terms of athleticism with Jalen being taller. Morant is doing incredible things at the rim despite being so small. Just to show the whole argument about Jalen being 6'4-6'6 was a useless conversation.

xaos likes this.
  6. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Green has two important qualities for a rookie, a very good attitude and a great desire to improve. I also consider that he has all the technical tools to be a great player. But to speak of a star, he needs to develop his body substantially and not resent his game in the process.
    There is a long way to go, let's be patient.

Mathloom likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Green is basically the perfect raw player. Has the things you can't teach (athleticism, first step, 19 yrs old) and the attitude to mold his career into anything (gym rat, hard worker, not scared of contact, brave).

I thought he was more NBA ready but what I'm learning is he's mentally ready for the NBA thanks to the G League but not physically or strategically. The game shocked him, but he hasn't seemed to flinch at the work he has to put in. In the offseason he said he has to get stronger and work on his defense, he was right but it takes time. The coaching staff also seem to be focusing on one part of his game at a time as I said the other day, he will suddenly start going to the line once he gets his off ball movement, defense, passing, catch and shooting under control.

He's shown he can do everything. He can go to the line 10 times and he can hit 10 3's. Those are ingredients for a great recipe. Just needs to put it all together. But first he needs to work on finishing at the rim. Euro step and floaters would do wonders for his game. He can go fast, but he has to learn how to steer and shift smarter. Silas perfect for this, a coach's kid is always good at teaching fundamentals. He's groomed some tremendous scorers.

vator, peleincubus, Dobbizzle and 4 others like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

the one who really needs to be coming off the bench is KPJr

Green has been looking a lot better without him pretending to be a PG

if Green had an actual PG and some proper spacing, he would be dangerous as hell

he is blowing by the likes of Dort and finishing over Noel

vator, cheke64, hakeem94 and 5 others like this.
  9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

My expectations for Green is more touches, not being relegated to the corner over and over again.

10. xaos

xaos Member

Yup still think this is the trajectory

11. berkowsk

berkowsk Member

i think development staff must go harder on him and do not appreciate good work only but also must emphasise his faults and bench him if needed. But he is making flashes of organised basketball, and getting rid of run'n gun style of gleague basketball. But unfortunately for him our guards still tend to play run'n gun. Would this impact his personality as a basketball player , time will show . But i really don't want him to play basketball like house , gordon or wall. More team oriented and unselfish basketball would take this team to the top. He seems to take much more guaranteed drives and shots comparing to last games.

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

My expectations are always for DD to be wrong lol

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I wanted Green to be the sixth man playing with Augustin. If Green keeps playing under control then maybe moving KPJ to back up PG would be an alternative. Augustine, Green, Tate, Sengun, Wood. 2nd team KPJ, Gordon, Matthews, KJM, Theis until Garuba is ready. Of course, I’m not sure the FO wants us to win very many games. Sengun getting 25-30m a game would probably make us too competitive.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Definitely. Ja is in the driver's seat, has not even been close to his peak.

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he also needs to start getting them aley oops like he did to score first points last night

if silas only knew how to design such plays

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

He is getting more comfortable playing, not rushing his shots as much as he did to start the season

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think they got the memo that winning games is not that important. No need to get nervous.

Players can mentally relax and reduce stress levels.

But cut your Turnovers!

18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let me check Morant's stats at Green's age in the NBA.

Wait, he wasn't in the NBA yet.

Your matter of fact statements are annoying.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Definitely huh. What was Morant's stats in the NBA at 19?

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To answer you, Ja was barely in at 19, he got in the league later.

It is not his fault, people stay longer in colleges.

Why is everyone hung up on 19.......what are Lebron's stats at 19?

Some make better decisions at 19, others worse decisions.

Being 19 should not excuse everything, just a smaller part of basketball.

[​IMG]

#880 daywalker02, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021