1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have failed the eye and math test, my friend.

There are plenty of encouraging signs on defense, and pointing to a singular defensive metric after three games is delightfully dimwitted.

2. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

So what is your answer besides an insult? Point to anything that says “yes, he has been good on defense” besides your opinion.

He has been horrible. It’s completely understandable and expected for a 19 year old rookie. You can talk “encouraging signs” now but that’s not what he said. To say he is “definitely a plus right now” is just ludicrous, or dim witted, or whatever insult a piece of **** would throw out for no reason.

DaDakota likes this.
  3. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's your answer. You don't get a block against a player of Jason Tatum's caliber by being "horrible" on defense. Defense is largely about effort and his effort has not been horrible.

Does he get pushed around by stronger defenders - yes, has he missed defensive rotations - yes, but this is not because he's not trying. Horrible defenders don't try, the effort is not there and you can see it. That is not the case with this young man. Please stop with the hyperbolic descriptions with this kid. He's trying and will get better. If you don't like him, just say it and move on.

4. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You're using a team stat, over 3 games. He's also averaging 1 block and 1 steal, but no one is going to use that as evidence that he's a great defender.

5. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Your take was that of a dumbbell, for the reason I illustrated above. Not a personal insult, but pointing to DRating after 3 games on a bad team is beyond stupid, my sensitive friend.

If anyone has overstated, it is you.

“Absolutely atrocious” deez RudyTBags.

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Effort on defense isn’t the same as capability. It’s definitely a start, I like the energy he has on defense. Hands are active. But…..he’s still a pretty bad defender right now. Few more pounds and he should be a solid defender.

7. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

And this is where the conversation starts, at WORST. Not, he is “absolutely atrocious” on defense.

Adios Muchachos…

cmoak1982 likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I love when CFans gets humbled - or at least that vocal minority that cant help themselves from blurting out idiocy and painfully obvious observations.

"you gone learn"

Hey yall can attack Scooter right now and get your vitriol addiction out of your system until Jalen has another tough night! Better yet pine for those other draftees with puppy dog eyes and a single tear running down your face - its a good look!

GO ROX!

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

How can anyone take someone seriously when all they do is throw insults at the other guy? This thread is full of cringe with guys dying on a hill for a player and not putting any effort into any logical debate. We have 10 year olds on this board, don’t we?

Corrosion, DaDakota and CXbby like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He's a smart and agile defender. What's missing can be fixed - bulking up.

11. Radricky

Radricky Member

My expectations are for Jalen to grow and learn the NBA game.
    There is no way to evaluate a player based on his first few games in a new league.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

My only question with Green is will he put the time in the weight room? Along with experience, it’s his biggest hurdle he has to clear to be a superstar

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Having 30 points in just his third NBA game is pretty damn impressive.

vator, i3artow i3aller, xaos and 2 others like this.
  14. TimDuncanDonaut

Quite a bit of fan roller coaster reactions. The experiment is over, give him a break. it is back on. One must ask, what is your expectations for Jalen Green. :D

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Giannis sucked his first two years in the league. Green is already ahead of him in 3 games.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

One of his biggest weaknesses leading up into the draft was Decision Making and Playmaking. He's already made huge strides in the first 3 games and that's what makes me really excited about him.

The shot is going be streaky for at least a couple years. When it's on it's gonna be on. Hopefully when it's off we continue to see him contribute in other ways like he's been doing.

#816 Bo6, Oct 25, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  17. xaos

xaos Member

3 games in - pretty close

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. BigTex

BigTex Member

PPG as a 19 year old…

Tmac 9 (2nd season)
    Kobe 15 (2nd season)
    Dwight 12
    Garnett 10
    Lavine 10
    Harden 10
    KPJ 10
    Murray 10
    Beal 13
    Tatum 14
    Giannis 7

20ppg is about the most you could hope for from a teenager…

Edwards 19
    KD 20
    Luka 21
    Lebron 21
    Carmelo 21
    Zion 22

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If LeBron averaged 21 at 19, then that is the theoritical limit for a 19 year old to average because I don't think there ever will be a teenager that was as NBA ready as LeBron ever

Bo6 and xaos like this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

I remember watching Lebron's first NBA game thinking "wow he was already one of the best players in the league" haha.

everyday eddie, Bo6 and fchowd0311 like this.