1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

First half of the season we will see shades of what he can do. Second half we will see him be a bit more consistent. Get the odd 30+ point score

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

lol actually his shot weirdly remind me of Lamelo Ball's shot. But Ball has tweaked his shot, so he's a dead eye shooter now from 3.

Green's shot still has too many moving parts that's why he's not making them despite having the same arc

bmelo and RasaqBoi like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Green was only a backup on his AAU team - which is strange for a star type player....

DD

Jontro likes this.
  4. hooroo

hooroo Member

it's only the first game but he's no Evan Mobley

5. HardenVolumeOne

the 2020 nets led by harden broke that record

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Meeting expectations.

palmsnbananas, Jontro and tycoonchip like this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, actually a few teams. Mavs dropped to 8th in offensive efficiency....which was less than 19/20
    in both rank and in efficiency.

But Doncic had better numbers in 20/21 than in 19/20
    So riddle me that

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This team has better players than people think. Moving KPJ to the 1 when he clearly doesn't have the ability to defend other 1's just so Green can start at the 2 we and have no other shooters to help him space the floor is dumb!
    Wood is 25! KpJ is 21. Gordon is on this team still.
    Rose came in and took the team to 2nd in the Central division. That team was also way worse than the roster we have now. You know who this kid reminds me of... Corey Benjamin. He led his team in scoring in college. Went to the Bulls talked a big game and got demolished by Jordan in practice.
    Yes it's high because his arms aren't long enough to shoot over defenders.
    I agree! But this smells like Fertitta stepping in. Silas probably bought in the BS talk. "I want to score 30. Roy. I have the same "killer instinct" as Kobe. Blah blah blah. Green is also extremely. marketable. Money moves.

Jontro likes this.
  9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when CP3 went down and Harden went on a tear. Sometimes a player has to do whatever it takes to get his team into the playoffs. All this while probably ignoring Rick Carlisle on the sidelines.

Jontro likes this.
  10. thekad

thekad Member

Low free throw rate is going to be an issue all year. Hopefully not all career.

amaru likes this.
  11. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

I know he’s a rook, and trying to adjust to the motions of the NBA. What I expect is one play that shows his athletic ability to yam it.

12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Offensively used as classic shooting guard. Hes kinda good. Give ball to his spots and let him work - he will generate looks. The real problem is defense he just jogs around clueless and you can't do that in the NBA because every random dude will light you up + they will get you tired from all of the targeting. He really needs to put meat on his legs, hamstring and glutes. Jalen should be doing dead lifts and squats daily. His point of weight is high so he will have problems with guarding physical dudes but the gap must be way smaller than it is right now

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Or losing Silas was like losing that orchestrator leader that guided them during timeouts,
    half time adjustments, play calls during live action.

Last year Silas had Harden as his Doncic and despite Harden and Tucker acting out to
    force a trade, the Rockets were winning. Then Harden trade and Wood injury and everything
    fell apart.

What I'm saying is that Silas hasn't been able to run his system properly since. Silas PnR
    spearhead everything for him. A 75% healthy Wall that missed more than 32 games in
    a 72 game season hurt. Eric Gordon missing over 30 games in a 72 game season hurt.

Playing Cousins, Patton, Spalding, Lamb, was a piss poor substitute for WCS, Powell,
    Marjanovic.

Wood was our Porzingis
    Olynyk was our Kleber....Olynyk that much better offensive version, Kleber the much better defender.

Silas never really had that PnR tandem going with Wall having little to no lift while absorbing
    the slightest of contact. Olynyk finally provided some threat as a Roll Man option; but he
    is a dork that trips over his own feet most of the time. He was better as the run the hub
    of the offense from the top of the key guy. Passing, shooting 3's, dribbling along one
    side of the lane as he catches the defense napping.

Now Silas has Theis, Sengun, Garuba as Roll Men.......Porter/Green as Ball Handlers
    in his main staple of Pick-n-Roll. Unfortunately people here on CF's have no
    patience. Porter/Green are the equivalent of flipping burgers in a fast food
    chain to now being asked to cook at a 5-star restaurant a week later and
    fans want them cooking Filet Mignon, Scuffle, Macarons, Beef Wellington,
    Croissants......the entire menu practically over night. Not realistic.

Both will have to be spoon-feed the playbook in small bite size consumable
    portions. Throwing the whole playbook at them will ruin the confidence
    a crush their self esteem greater than it is now. Form very bad habits.

*Silas system in Dallas according to "Play Type" and "Frequency" illustrates Pick-n-Roll
    as a huge staple in the Silas system. "Cutters/Slashers" as well. In the preseason the
    first 3 games I saw little to no player movement in an attempt to train Porter/Green
    Pick-n-Roll with 3-pt shooters staying home as safety net kick outs. It wasn't until the
    final preseason game where I saw cutters and slashing. Tate and House were doing it
    quite often. Game one, I failed to see much slashing from our players as the defense
    was blitzing every ball handler slashing our wrists. Even an experienced ball handler
    in PnR, Augustin, had trouble holding onto the ball as the refs called nothing.

It will be slow gradual learning experience. Anthony Edwards looked bad the first
    half of his rookie season.....then started figuring it out. I expect Green will as well.
    People wanted a chance at getting Chet and Banchero.....well you are going to
    get it.

But it's not the coaching.....JVG would have the same problems with this group.
    It's not the system it's the personnel. Experience or lack thereof. Silas can turn to
    isolation all the time with Green and Porter.....but that won't be running the Silas
    system of facilitators, Roll Man, and that setting up cutters off that PnR action.

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I pray for your sake you were too busy to watch the game.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I pray for your sake you’re not placing great importance on the 1st game of his career, because that would be funny

16. dmoneybangbang

No. This team is as good as it’s record last year and will be this year.

17. Downtown Sniper

Not all.

Remember, there were some 'haters' who actually didn't have blinders on.

We actually expected this. And tried to tell people. They didn't want to listen though.

"b-b-b-b-but it is just summer league"

"b-b-b-b-but it is just preseason"

"b-b-b-b-ut it is just one game"

*we are here

"b-b-b-b-ut it is only the all star break"

DaDakota likes this.
  18. Downtown Sniper

Almost as funny as people having mental breakdowns when others have the common sense to call out bad basketball when they see it.

Nah, I actually didn't even need the one game to know he's nowhere near as good as people think he is.

I actually didn't even expect him to average 15 points a game this year.

I might even need to temper those expectations.

Goodness gracious me!

Your tune has changed an awful lot though from before the game, that's understandable.

tycoonchip and DaDakota like this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

cool story bro…anyways

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I agree with almost everything, but Silas (I know I know its only one game trust me I KNOW) COULD be a little more creative with this rotation. I saw alot of PNR last night, just not alot of execution. Scooter was dropping in the skip passes that guys like Theis and Wood couldnt handle. Just bad interior passing when you need decent passing. Im sure with more time and chemistry things will get better, but in a blowout running out the vets didnt make much sense. JC, Armoni, KMJ, only getting 8 minutes is strange. KMJ played great last year IMO. Now he's relegated to the bench? Who's better that he's rotating in and out?

Wolves have a more experienced and 'better' roster than we do - thats just reality. They were at home amped up, KAT especially was ready to play after everything he's gone through and the crowd was buzzing. Add the piss poor energy the ROX came out with and you get slapped around in the NBA - like Jeff Hornacek said during halftime "we're getting beat to hell but we need it" or something like that. Peace!

ApacheWarrior likes this.