1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Jalen Green OnlyFan

20 PPG and ROY.

yall are tripping

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I am lowering mine slightly too, though the sample is small. This kid needs to stop taking so many types of shots just for the sake of it, Kobe weeded that out of his game early.

He’s just not thinking fast enough to be making on the move decisions. Show you can drive, pass quickly and hit static 3’s for now imo. He’s not doing the basics well and it’s becoming messy. He also gets down on himself when he misses and that’s a sure fire way to dip your performance (basketball or anything in life).

Early days but I still see the star quality and glad that Silas has experience with Lebron and Doncic.

Y2JT and DaDakota like this.
  4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I thought Green had great shooting in summer league games.

But obviously his shooting is not that good.

No good ball handling, no good playmaking, if also no good shooting, people need to lower their expectation considering he is not strong.

5. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Send him to the
    Nope... I'm ready to ship his ass to the G league.. if not he should at least be coming off the bench. He's not as NBA ready as he thinks he is.

NewAge likes this.
  6. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I got to ask, why? Do you actually think he will be NBA ready quicker coming off the bench or playing in the G-League vs starting and getting starter minutes? If you are wanting him to sit because you think that will help us win more, you would do best to abandon those thoughts right now. If we wanted to try and win, we would be playing Wall still who actually did decent next to Wood. We are trying to fast track KPJ, Green, and company right now, wins and losses be damned. If we happen to win more games than expected, awesome. If somehow everything clicks for everyone and we make the playoffs, even better. However, winning is not a real priority right now. Getting young players to develop against actual NBA competition is the priority.

If you were being sarcastic, apologies.

peleincubus likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Now that DD hates Jalen Green he will be MVP. we did it.

Stay away from AL-P, DD.

8. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m guessing mvp dpoty ROTY Finals MVP

WestendMassive and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

i refuse to believe someone that talks this much sh*t can be bad. I mean, the backlash would be monumental.

10. HP3

HP3 Member

I expect him to be a top candidate for Rookie of the Year. Yall gotta chill, these are preseason games.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Let's see him be the top Rookie on his own team first.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Realistically? Against NBA defenses and our team's spacing, probably 15ppg at the best.

We don't need to worry though because he's so young. Sengun, imo, has a better chance of winning ROY if he was allowed to start next to Wood.

I can see Sengun averaging close to a double double if he was starting full time (right from the G1). He's so much more developed fundamentally.

GOOGOOMECHUCK, CXbby and BallaDoc like this.
  13. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

He doesn't have dribbling skills to be a primary ballhandler (anytime soon)
    He doesn't have passing skills to be a primary passer (anytime soon)
    He is an atrocious defender and is going to be bullied by first, second and third stringers straight into the paint.
    He isn't a high IQ player.

He is a good shooter, people have said.
    But has a horrendous shooting mechanic which is going to cause horrific shooting nights when he's not shooting in his normal timed rhythm.

So, my expectations are that he is really a bench player but won't ever be put in that position because the franchise drafted him number two.

He is only 19 so has the rest of his life to grow into that star seemingly.

But I'm dumbfounded so many people clamoured about him being a franchise altering player.

He is at least 5 years away from even being mentioned in that conversation about being 2 years away from that, minimum.

#33 Downtown Sniper, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    DaDakota, CXbby, NewAge and 3 others like this.
  14. Downtown Sniper

Not gonna lie, you had me in the first half.

I for sure thought that was going to be an image of Sengun at the end!

15. juanming

juanming Member

Rockets will never admit it publicly but if they could do it over they should have traded down for giddey who looks like the real best rookie (or sengun) instead of green

Green looks like a bust.. the fundamentals such as defense,shooting and handles aren't even there..not impressed at all.

Before anyone says "hes only 19)". I think giddey is younger

No one here wanted giddey(guessing cuz he's a skinny whiteboy idk) but I dont know what film the rockets scouts watch predraft on both giddey and green, but just watching 2 minutes of his first preseason highlights any idiot can see he is already Mile's ahead of green

Good luck

And that's why tanking is probably a bad idea going forward, no point tanking cuz stone will botch the pick

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

3 preseason games huh.

Dear Lord this is sad.

And no it's not just he's 19... It's the fact he hasn't even played a single regular season game.

And that's the thing about evaluating other young players from other teams. The grass is always greener because you don't watch that player when they have those horrible half's and trust me Giddy at 19 definitely has or will have atrocious halfs but you won't see them. You'll see his highlights and be impressed. Non Rocket fans will see Green highlights and be impressed. For Green you see the lowest of his lows mixed in with his good games. The problem is with a sample size of 3 preseason games, one really bad game skews your perception.

#36 fchowd0311, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  17. Downtown Sniper

To be fair on the Rockets, I think the whole world's jaw dropped when Giddey went that early.

Australian media tends to talk up talents of our countrymen, and not even they were talking up Giddey to that extent.

He has looked mighty impressive so far though. Part of me wonders what him and Sengun would've done. Giddey would ensure Sengun was being featured. I get the hunch Green will be the player who freezes him out later in the season when he's getting more accolades.

CXbby likes this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

My expectations are that which were SOLD to me.

DeBeards and NewAge like this.
  19. Ghost5Horse6

Ghost5Horse6 Member

He looks more and more like a bust. At least not a top 5 draft pick.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he will avg 15 points a game and have a good rookie campaign. I think his sophomore season will be a big improvement.

DeBeards and BonziWellsGOAT like this.