1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green - what are your expectations for this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 11, 2021.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

How is it better for him? We aren't a winning team, he learns nothing watching us get sht on. Its best for him to get experience.

One could argue harden development was stunted playing as sixth man/off the bench. No fking way he replicates his career in Houston slotted as the sixth man on the thunders

2. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, the system as it is now does not allow Jalen and KPJ to play off each other. What you're saying that it is possible for them to develop synergy in a different system. And I agree with that. But in my mind that would be better in Year 2.
    Keep in mind that Scoot is working for an extension this year. We need to give him the keys to the first unit and see what he can do. Jalen, as I said needs to gain confidence against NBA players, to see if he can score in volume. And that's better done on the second unit.
    If it is absolutely a "must" for Jalen to start, because of marketing and all his rabid fanbase, then Silas better come up with some system that allows them to play off each other. But purely for basketball reasons, I don't see a point of Jalen starting...

Plowman likes this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

And I'm telling u, we have sengun. We don't need Mobley.

Not end of the world.

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

They can get synergy in year 1 they just need to actually play together. Im not trying to insult you but the notion that they have to have synergy after 3 preseason games and if not we need to sit Green is a bit childish. Gordon played last week and looked like trash, how would starting him when he looks like trash with kpj too help green develop. It literally makes no sense.

#224 Joe Rocket, Oct 12, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
    BonziWellsGOAT and Verbal Christ like this.
  5. NewAge

NewAge Member

I am not saying he needs to be glued on the bench! I am saying his time should be with the second unit. And we are talking Year One. Harden was not stunted in his development being a sixth man; of course he would have been if he was always a sixth man. There is nothing wrong for Jalen to start his career off the bench. If he dominates other teams second units, of course you make him a starter. But step-by-step guys. He's got a loooong way to go, best IMO if he starts his career off the bench

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Jalen will play better against the second units and he'll get put in the starting lineup and then he'll be months behind where he could have been with the starting group, do you not understand that?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Honestly he needs to play when sengun plays. Life would b much easier for him when sengun spoon feeds him easy looks

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Sengun needs to start as well, Ive been saying this since Summer league and they need to play through him. There is also little to no benefit in playing Theis over Sengun. They should have run the ball through him in summer league too, a lot of us who followed the games were mad when they didnt.

9. NewAge

NewAge Member

:) no, man. It doesn't go like this. First you need to build his confidence and his skill level. Hard to happen on the first unit with KPJ and Wood having to eat, and nobody making things easier for him. He needs high-volume plays to be feeling it at the NBA level the same way he was feeling it in the G-league...

10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im just going to stop taking your opinion on this seriously. I should have stopped replying to you the minute you said they dont have synergy after 3 preseason games LMAO. I feel like im debating my little nephew.

BonziWellsGOAT and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. i3artow i3aller

Feel many in here might find this to be beneficial.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yao only averaged 13-7 his rookie year, and scored 0 in his first game.

So, let's hope Green has a Yao trajectory.

DD

13. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Ant didn't have a good rookie year until after ASB. There are very few rookies that came into the league playing well. I expect JG to have a similar rookie year as Devin and make a huge leap in his Sophomore year. Booker avg 13.8/2.5/2.6 on 42/34/84 shooting in his rookie year.

14. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

Agreed.

I think most top 3 picks who turn out to be good players have good, albeit maybe inefficient, rookie years. The converse, that most top 3 picks who turn out to be bad players have bad rookie years, also seems to be true.

Exceptions do exist to both, but I don't think they are as common as we make them seem sometimes.

A fairly notable one which immediate comes to mind, since it's fairly recent, is Brandon Ingram.
    Ingram had, by all accounts, a very disappointing rookie year. But he has been a fairly nice player for a couple of seasons now.

15. dmoneybangbang

A "nice first season" is hard to tell from the preseason. I'm not happy with his play, but not necessarily concerned at this point.

19bernardo87 likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I expect he scores about 16 points and 4 boards a game ..... and that he gets torched on defense more often than not.

There will be nights he's off and nights he lights it up ....

I predict at least half a dozen threads over the course of the season complaining after a poor shooting game.

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

17ppg/5ast/3rb with solid league average/slightly better than league average efficiency. Expecting his 1 on 1 defense to be better than advertised because of his length. 20/6/4 with a bump in efficiency his sophomore year maybe? A 20ppg each backcourt + a developed Sengun by year 3 hopefully

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Green Trade value at all time low.
    Lol

ThatBoyNick, PeterKingX and SamFisher like this.
  19. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

ONE REASON: Theis just got paid and we payed him to be our CENTER DEFENSIVE STOPPER!!!! Yeah, we did not want Kelly because he was just a offensive guy....Kelly has more rebounds than Theis and Kelly is a better passer. Do you think Detroit will allow a trade swap with Kelly and Theis and we can kick in a 2nd round?

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I dunno what my prior expectations were, I think they were more “hopes” than expectations. But after watching preseason games…my expectations are fairly low. I think it’ll take 3 years before he is clearly borderline all star.