1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I've Seen Enough - Canaan Should Start

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 29, 2014.

1. naesoon

naesoon Member

As I mentioned in myasthenia post, Lin has proven that he goes off by the 3rd or 4th qtr. In games where he does well, you see that his minutes are limited in the next game or when he starts getting in rhythm, he gets benched. Yes, he makes mistakes, I'm not denying that, but so do Parsons and Harden. In fact, Parsons has not been playing well, but as usual he stays in the game and he starts racking up points.

Lin has shown that he helps the team win when he remains in the game. This is not a imaginative statement. If he plays about 30 min. or more in each game (at least 3 of them in a row) and he plays poorly, especially when he's handling the ball, I will come back here and say that he sucks.

2. yummyhawtsauce

I hate that Coach Mchale/Daryl Morey don't read our posts

3. naesoon

naesoon Member

I didn't say Lin should be the #1 option, but I was responding to the previous posting saying that if Lin is expected to be like the player he was in NY, then he should have the same role. If you have those expectations, It would be helpful if he was allowed to control the ball, don't you think?

4. Salvy

Salvy Member

Is that an insult?

5. Remii

Remii Member

No... But you're explaining the obvious.

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

I know.... I actually tired myself out..... It really is simple... Lin has sucked (for whatever reason injured or not) Maybe he was just waiting for the playoffs to unleash the real Jeremy Lin....

7. Remii

Remii Member

I believe Lin's magical run in NYC was the last people will see of him playing at that high level consistently so no I do not have those expectations of him. I think he's a good player to have off the bench... Problem is, so is Beverley.

8. Remii

Remii Member

That argument has been going on since Harden's 1st game. I'm just waiting until the off-season. I'm assuming Lin will be moved. I want to see how the fans of the team he goes to handle the invasion.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I understand Lin's situation. If he had not signed the Rockets contract, it's possible he could have played last season with the Knicks for just over 1 million, and been a RFA again last offseason. Lin ultimately did what was best for him under the system he and his fellow players helped create.

My point was more general. A players contract in a salary cap league can't be separated from his play on the court. To make an extreme example, I would think about Chandler Parsons a lot differently if he had a max contract.

Of course Parsons would be foolish to turn down the max if it was offered. I just don't feel that would absolve him of the responsibility to perform at a "max" level.

10. RCPM

RCPM Member

And got smacked in the face with the truth...but you can't handle the truth! :grin:

11. torocan

torocan Member

See, this is where I'm kind of torn.

On the one hand, as a fan I'm selfish and want to see any player on a team I like to play at or above contract value. So like Rockets fans I get frustrated with Amare Stoudemire ($23M contract who missed a ton of games).

On the other hand, if I put a $5,000 car for sale, and 2 guys get in a bidding war and end up offering me $7,000, should I feel obligated to provide them with a $7,000 car? If the answer is No, then I can't hold Lin or Parsons responsible for whatever money they get as long as they weren't the ones demanding that salary level in the first place.

Remember, in Lin's case the rumor is that he was initially offered and verbally accepted essentially $6.3M/year for the first 3 years and a team option on the 4th year that would have amounted to $9M ($5/$5/$9/$9). After the Knicks basically told everyone in the press that they were planning on matching, it was the Rockets who felt compelled to raise the offer in order to back the Knicks into a corner with the luxury tax otherwise they were facing the start of the season without any starting PG on the roster (Lowry had been traded, Dragic wanted the player option).

Lin did NOT ask for the increase in his contract.

It would have been different if Lin had demanded $8.3M/year, but that wasn't the originally discussed contract. If Lin was being paid $6.3M/year, would folks be nearly as hard on him?

It's one thing for a player to demand a contract amount, it's another to have someone say, "Forget that last offer, here's a bigger pile of money..."

Just some stuff to think about.

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

The car analogy is interesting. What if you sold that $7,000 car, and the transmission failed when the guy was driving home?

13. highlander3128

You make too much sense, but haters' gonna hate. I had seen enough emotional posts towards players on this board already. Nothing's new to me.

14. torocan

torocan Member

If I didn't know the transmission was going to fail then I feel bad for him, but I certainly wouldn't feel bad about it myself.

15. deedee82

deedee82 Member

If i bought a car for urban use and brought it cross country i guess well... oh nvm.

Look whatevers been flogged to death here about fit, system, mental weakness, confidence, team mate chemistry, uneven this and that; its out of OUR control.

The dead horse has died many times over. Lin will be Lin, if he does well in the system here good on us, if he doesn't well, good on his wallet.

It's the FO's job to keep him here or ship him out despite all the noise going on around here. If he can't be shipped out, well, we did offer to pay $7000 for the car didn't we, so we can do whatever we want with it regardless of how it was built or meant for.

The results are just for the team to bear.

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You can't really hold a player responsible for his contracts unless he purposely doesn't try to perform on the court like Royce White who refuses to play, or like Bynum who disrupts team chemistry, or Curry who shows up to training camp 400 pounds overweight and not in shape.

I mean a player's ability doesn't aumatically increase no matter how much money is written on their contract. At the end of the day if the player isn't worth his contract but he plays his best, you can only blame it on the GM's lack of foresight or injuries.

17. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

That will remind the buyer that the car was sold as is with no warranty.

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

LOLOL. Get the F over yourself. Your posts mean squat to them even if they do read.

19. rubbertoe

rubbertoe Member

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/HzSUo8iPp4M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/HzSUo8iPp4M?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>