1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Insiders from other forums.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jun 20, 2011.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I hate the thought of trading Lee. I think losing him will hurt as much initially as it did with Landry. The guy is the perfect role player and a good defender, and unless we are rebuilding, is so important to this team. The problem is that Kevin Martin is in front of him (justifiably), and unless a star is available he isn't going anywhere. I don't think there is a chance in hell that any sort of Martin for Jefferson swap happens.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sounds logical. If I were the Bulls, I'd talk to several teams with a decent SG to sell and leverage them against each other. If the Bulls are truly interested in both Mayo and Lee (and possibly others), they should shop around. Even if they have just one target in mind (lets say Lee is their top guy), it doesn't hurt to get Memphis involved to see if Houston would drop its asking price.

My guess is that the only guy the Rockets really wants is Asik. They can work around the picks and the other stuff (the demand for Budinger + Lee might be a deal breaker, though), but if no Asik, the Rockets probably look elsewhere.

Gibson is a nice player and all, but he's really just a duplicate of Patterson and probably with a bit less upside (he's older), a good 6'9'' PF. The Rockets are looking for a big center.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'm not against the deal. Lee isn't the key to our future. I like him a bunch, he'd be critical if Martin misses a string of games.....but Morey clearly wants PT for Williams.

Asik is raw....but he's already shown he can go berserk on the boards (11 in 14 mins in Feb, 16 in 25 mins in Mar, 8 in 13 mins during game 4 vs Atl). Anyone that was/is pro-Gortat or pro-Kanter should be very interested in Asik.

Not a franchise center, but if we're in the hunt for a good young 7-footer, I'd absolutely gamble an excess bench wing for him.

And we all know Budinger's got no business long term starting at the 3. We're on the hunt for a stud SF as it is. More than expendable.

1 person likes this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't think Iggy had/has any lingering health issues.

Besides, he has several months----AT LEAST----to get better.

Wonder who Morey thinks he's targeting now? Riley won't trade any of his Big 3, at least not until he knows how draconian the new CBA is or isn't.

Dwight Howard? Er, excuse me... :grin::grin::grin:

Maybe the #2 pick?

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Josh Smith is a force offensively AND defensively. Joe Johnson is a playmaker, something we've missed since losing Tracy to injuries.

I'd put them at a tier over Iggy.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Korver plays defense?

Rocket River

7. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Yeah, they're all expendable, but we'd be giving up more value than we're getting back. I don't think Morey would do any negative trades unless it's for a star or potential star. Asik just isn't that guy. Courtney Lee and Hill for Asik is more than a fair deal.

8. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

How exactly is Josh Smith a force offensively and defensively... yet Iggy isn't?

I mean, sure, Smith had more blocks, but he plays a lot of PF.

9. Seven

Josh Smith an offensive force? lol. Iggy has more offense than Josh Smith. The offense runs through him.

10. Seven

I'm sorry, but I'm through with players than don't show up in the playoffs.

11. cod

cod Member

Both Iggy and JJ are considered lower-tier "franchise" players. Josh Smith isn't even the second best player on the Hawks.

"Bigger players" are Dwight, CP3, Deron, and Bogut. All names bandied in recent trade talk.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

more like low ball...

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Context... slightly better defender than Budinger, who also doesn't play defense. I give the edge to Korver due to his experience, but I'm really not sure.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Josh Smith is a beast in the paint. The problems he's had in the past have been due to his love for the jumper. If we were able to trade a true forward to ATL (maybe Scola and picks) for Smith that would allow JJ to play the three and give more minutes to Teague at the point and Hinrich/Crawford at the 2.

We'd possibly have a line-up of:

Lowry
    Martin
    J. Smith
    Patterson
    Hayes (or insert free agent pick up)

I don't see why Dwight gets dealt as early as now, the Hornets are NOT trading CP3 to us, so I honestly don't see a superstar being available for the taking yet. If it weren't for the Celtics having their entire starting 5 in the All Star game Smith would've/should've made it. Peoples outlook on him would be different with the "All Star" tag, I guarantee it.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He already did that in the Battier/Thabeet deal. And I don't want to hear a single argument that Thabeet is better, even potentially, than Asik.

I'm not saying break the bank for Asik, but the others in this thread scared to make a deal because of Courtney and Chase....come on. Not the same league, but reminds me of when the Bulls were reluctant to give Luol Deng for Kobe.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds like [some of] the Bulls fans.:p Dont wanna give up Asik or Gibson.

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Thanks for the vote of confidence fellas. ;)

18. Garner

Garner Member

Anything new out of these guys?

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If the Bulls had Lee or Budinger they would have beaten the Heat.

DD

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Funny how Lee is so valuable Herron cf yet he has already been traded twice and is always in rumors to be traded again.