1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Insiders from other forums.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Philly starting to showcase Turner. He was just inserted to the starting lineup last night. Coincidence? I don't think so. I still believe we should aim higher of course but acquiring Turner would be alright if all else fails, i guess.

2. batkins

batkins Contributing Member

I'm all for acquiring Turner. A backcourt of Lowry and Turner could be great for many years. He just needs to have the ball in his hands to be successful, which he really hasn't gotten in Philly. He has a ton of talent though. No doubt.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd feel comfortable about our future with the core of..
    Lowry,Llull
    Turner,Lee
    Parsons,NA
    Patterson,Motiejunas
    NA,NA
    If those players develop into what we hope they would be and put some other solid players in the empty slots we would have a crazy young playoff bound roster.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You are looking for short term answers.

Millsap is good but he's getting up there in age now. He'd ensure we'd get a 6-8 seed. Yay

Jefferson...no. Another no D playing big man? No thanks.

Rockets need all-star players. Turner has the potential to be one.

Kmart - Turner there is no better deal for the Rockets if that is out there. Everyone that wants Wallace,Kaman,Pierce over a former top 5 pick with only one year of experience is clearly thinking of picking up just a few more wins this season instead of trying to build a real contending team in the future.

Lowry
    Turner
    Parsons
    Morris
    D-Mo
    Patterson
    Dragic
    Lee

Now that is a young team I can get excited about. Teams doesn't need more solid-good vets. Rockets need players with potential, that's the ONLY way you get superstars in this league.

You roll the dice on players with potential and hope someone else falls for that potential and deals you a all-star player or you unlock the potential in that player.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He recently turned 27?...

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah I knew his age and still said that. That's getting up there in age.

27 is a great age to be in general, but in NBA terms it's 3 years from 30. A number where players completely stop getting better and then start declining. Just look at Scola. It usually is often that players start declining 30-32.

Meanwhile Turner is 23...

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

If you're a star like Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Dwight, and even Gasol... they stay effective into their 35+. Look at Duncan, Ginobili.

8. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Aruba77 again.

1 person likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Agreed. But Millsap is a borderline all-star player. Just like all of the rockets best players.

10. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

*snip*
    *snip*

I didn't start following the Rockets seriously until '04-'05. That was my introduction to seven frustrating seasons of fragile playoff hopes and dissatisfying results... specifically, three first round exits, one second round exit that cost us Yao (again) after Game 3, an 8th pick that became Shane Battier, and two #14 picks (Patterson and Morris).

I'll grant those aren't terrible results, but after seven years of "Hey, we might be able to make some noise in the play-- aww, someone broke Yao again," I'm ready for five-plus seasons of knowing the Rockets are going to suck, with the possibility of being pleasantly surprised for once.

#270 DribbleHooper, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Once again.

Where do I sign?????!!!!

This kid has obviously got talent and just isn't in the situation or on the team to showcase it. As long as there's no real health concern on Turner I say pull the trigger now. And if there is I'm sure the physical would take care of that and deal would then be null and void.

If this is all we give up I say hell yes!

We may still be able to get Gasol from LA if they would be willing to trade for Goki instead of Kyle and boom roster re-built in two quick trades.

PG: Lowry / Flynn
    SG: Lee / Barnes / Morris
    SF: Turner / Parsons / Morris / Budinger
    PF: Gasol / Patterson / Brackins
    C: Dalembert / Gasol / G. Smith

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

On at least one above post, Lowry and Scola for Harden and Ibaka was mentioned. And that it might be some rumor....was this the rumor the OKC radio dudes threw out there? 'Cause there is no way...NONE...that it would go down.

OKC would be nuts to deal with their $$$ situation before the summer. They need to see what this crew will get them before worrying about Ibaka and Harden (who'll both command near-max $$$).

D-rock likes this.
  13. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I like it, a lot. I think Turner can be one of our primary facilitators, giving us someone other than Lowry to run pick-and-rolls with.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Those who were opposed to "wasting" our assets for a bust of a #2 overall pick (ala Hasheem Thabeet :rolleyes:) are you still taking that same stand?

I doubt the price remains as low as Martin + fillers for Turner plus trash, so I guess it's a dead issue.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

5 pts in a dispirited game for Martin. Philly likely no longer wants him.

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

17. Garner

Garner Member

GMs, I imagine, look at the forest, not a single tree.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought Martin was a toadstool.

19. Pete the Cheat

do those grow out of dung?

he is a bit of a stool toad thats for sure

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sup ten year bump

Not exactly Rockets, but could be interesting info if the Rockets want to get cute with their pick, trade down to three for an asset, and still get thier guy. As always, take with grain of salt.

From Cavs

en‘s 6/26 CavsTalk Recap (I think I c&p every question Ben was able to get to tonight. Let me know if I missed one and I’ll add it in)

pr26 said:
    Any feel for who the Cavs are hoping/expecting at #3?
    Green is the expectation. Trading out of the 3 spot isn't.

MirORich said:
    Woooohooo

1. Does Larry prefer to be a Cav for life?

2. Do Cavs still see Okoro as a SF or are they coming around to him being more of a SG?

3. Any idea of what type of return Cavs are trying to get for Sexton?
    1. No idea. I do know he loves the city/state like we all hoped LBJ did.

2. The plan was to bring Sexton off the bench with Drummond and let Okoro start at SG. That got blown up after Drummond basically told them to kick rocks.

3. I've heard that if there is a trade they'd like a young borderline all-star who is on their 2nd contract.

dark2332 said:
    Ben, hope you’ve been able to relax and get a little well-deserved rest in retirement.

Only one question from me, and it’s going to require an educated guess.

Is Collin Sexton still a Cavalier past the 2022 trade deadline?
    No.

kookoo said:
    Are there any trades for Love in the works? What's the team's assessment on Collin and Garland? Could Suggs be considered?
    No trade for Love that I've heard. He's still a net negative until the final year of his contract. Just the way it is and even when he's an expiring the Cavs might just cut him loose. Contracts of that size are just too hard to move when the player isn't a star.

They like both kids. Sexton won't be traded because of his work ethic or being thick.

I really like Suggs' game. I think he's going to be an impactful 2 way player sooner rather than later but I doubt the Cavs have much interest at 3

cabs said:
    Are they targeting a 6’8/6’9 wing in a Sexton trade?
    No idea but if Ingram is on the block that's something I think they'd have to look into.

Damage said:
    1. Do the Cavs feel Garland is the guy to run the ship?
    2. Any chatter about them trying to acquire a 2nd player in this draft? I've mentioned Isaiah Todd quite a bit, but other guys like Preston, Duarte and Nix could be some high upside guys.
    3. Are the Cavs content with Bickerstaff or are they kicking themselves with all the HC openings (Stotts, MDA, Billups, etc).
    1. No idea but they like his game... a lot.
    2. Too early for me to know details.
    3. I don't know about the front office but the players love him and that's 80% of the battle.

ryanf said:
    What does the cavs draft board look like?

I don't know yet. Once they start getting better players into workout then I'll know a bit more.

daddywags said:
    Any idea what numbers Allen and Sexton are looking for?
    No but if I were GM $18 million average per year is my cap for Allen. That puts him in the top 10 paid centers, right around Stephen Adams/Clint Capella.

Out of the Rafters at the Q said:
    1. How long do you think Sexton has been quietly shopped around ?
    2. If the Cavs have their choice between Cade/Mobley/Green, could you rank their order of preference?
    3. Do you think there's any chance to salvage Kevin Love's relationship with the other players on this roster?
    4. Are there any personality/relationship issues between the current "core" pieces on the roster (Sexton, Garland, Okoro, Nance, Allen)?
    5. What are the odds JBB is our coach on opening night 2023?
    1. Probably since last trade deadline but I first heard about it from reliable sources maybe a week ago.
    2. Cade, Green, Mobley
    3. Love is liked by most teammates. What his game has become isn't.
    4. Not that I know of.
    5. Honestly? He's tied to Koby. If the Cavs win 28 games next season I think both are gone.

inliner311 said:
    Was Sexton willing to come off the bench?
    No idea. I don't know if the idea had even gotten that far once Drummond peaced out.

chuck0609 said:
    Any idea of who are the early suitors for Sexton?
    I've heard the Lakers and Mavs have interest.

bushwick_bill said:
    Why does it seem like the Cavs want to trade Sexton so bad? Sexton and Garland cannot coexist?
    On offense? Yes they can play well together. It's the other half of the game that is the problem. One of your guards has to be able to defend his own position when you're starting backcourt are members of the lollipop guild. If they can't you end up having your SF defend the PG/SG, your 4 trying to cover the 3 and your 5 being stranded in no-mans land.

If that sounds confusing, imagine being on the court with all that cross matching going on. Opposing teams don't even have to set screens to get a favorable matchup. Just pass the ball around a few times and wait for the confusion to ensue.