1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Insiders from other forums.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Jun 20, 2011.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Again, see my post above, but I think you're overestimating the amount of time you have to really, really suck. Don't get me wrong, it is rare to go from worst to first ala the Celtics, but I don't think there is a set 5-10 year time frame.

It is almost completely correlated, imo, to being able to find that franchise player. The Mavs, Clippers, Thunder, Bulls, Magic, Nuggets (w/Melo), Trailblazers (before injury), Hornets (with CP3), Heat (with Wade)... all these teams went from really bad to pretty good very quickly after drafting their franchise player. With more luck, some went from really bad to championship contender in relatively short order.

It's not that it could take a while, it's that you might miss and miss and miss on franchise player. Which is why it hasn't happened for the Kings and Evans and Cousins - good players, but not franchise level like the others. Or the Wizards with Wall. Or the Nets with Lopez. Or the Clippers all those years before Blake. Or the Bucks with Bogut or Jennings.

I think part of it is luck. Sucking at the right time, and having the right things fall into place. But a lot of it, seemingly, is organization, right? Drafting well. Accumulating assets appropriately (I know, I said assets). I'd argue DM is as good at that part as the best GM's out there.

I was all for tanking before the season started for this reason. That clearly isn't happening now.

2. JayZ750

That's besides the point. The issue is height doesn't equal productivity. If Aaron Brooks put up Shaq like numbers by playing center, then I'd take AB at center, despite his height.

Millsap is no Chuck, but he is a very very solid PF, that plays solid defense. The fact that he is 1 inch shorter than our current starting PF shouldn't make him less capable of manning the spot, much less doing so more effectively and efficiently, at a better salary, and a younger age.

3. cod

cod Member

This article sums all that up
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports..._Sixers_to_trade_Evan_Turner_and_move_on.html

4. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

With the 09ers leaving, it's time to get some 10ers. That bench isn't going to warm itself.

1 person likes this.
  5. gah

gah Member

Well Turner decided to explode on the old guys tonight, for good measure.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

16 points and 8 boards... and it's halftime.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ok jay2750 wat do u think da clutchfans community will say if we get millsap and da next games after we get him and wer still getting owned on da boards I noe wat ima say ima say y da heck did we get millsap and dat we didn't fix our problem of height height and more height millsap won't fix dat problem

8. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Daylight com and me wanna goo hooome. de se de..dese de eee.

9. supa

supa Contributing Member

Exactly, if Utah would trade Milsap for Turner and we can turn Martin into Milsap you do it predicated on having a move lined up for Scola. Ideally we could turn Martin into Milsap and then offer Scola, Lowry, Morris and our NY Pick for Deron. You would need to get his assurance on picking up his option or signing here but if so, we are line ourselves up for nice options in the summer.
    We would have Deron, Lee, Parsons, Milsap, and Dalembert starting with Patterson, Bud and Montej coming off the bench. Our cap situation would be at 45 Mil, under 40 Mil if we cut Dalembert. We would able to offer a max contract to Dwight with a ready made lineup around him, all of whom are under 30.
    Again, you have to threaten NJ with Deron leaving for Dallas and be given assurances of him resigning, but if so we can turn this thing around or at least give ourselves some nice options in the summer.

10. JayZ750

Again, besides the point. Millsap is a better player than any of our current frontcourt guys. He's probably a better player than anyone on our team besides Lowry. He's a better rebounder than Scola. He's not Dwight or Kevin Love on the boards, but not many are - if there's a reasonable expectation of getting either of them, then f yeah, let's go.

Somehow turning Martin into Millsap would be a coup, and a LOT better move than Lowry, Scola for Asik, Korver and a horrible first round pick, as you previously suggested - and I like Asik.

11. hahachui

hahachui Member

Same here

12. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

are you crazy to like that shet deal? or you are a bulls spy ????

13. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

but do da da di da .. whay knot?

14. AXG

AXG Member

I would take the Turner-Martin deal in a heartbeat.

15. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I wouldn't mind that either. Could maybe take Derrick Williams for Martin and Bud.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here come the Knee Jerkers on Turner having one good game. He's a good player, but he's not the answer. He's not a good enough SG to beat out Lee or Dragic for that matter, and doesn't have the size and determination to be as good a wing defender as Parsons.

This guy wouldnt be in the Rockets rotation and he's not worth extending at the price he would command after his rookie deal. He's the second pick in the draft... Dude is going to get paid 8.7 mill in 2014 if you pick up his option!!....

If Millsap or Jefferson especially are available then that is the way to go. Both players have expiring contracts next year and give you something this team desperately needs. Post scoring.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Dragic
    Turner
    Parsons
    Gasol
    Dalembert

18. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

Looks good to me.

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Why was this bumped? Has it been revisited? This is from a while back.

20. freshstart

freshstart Member

few days to go :eek:

trade rumor

i like :grin:
    1. KMart for Turner, Brackins & Nocioni
    2. Lowry + Scola for Harden + Ibaka

c- Dalembert / Smith / Motiejunas
    pf- Ibaka / Patterson
    sf- Parsons / Morris
    sg- Harden / Lee
    pg- Dragic / Turner / Llull