1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inevitable Trade causing Team Issues

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Jan 19, 2010.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Brian Cook must be quivering in his shoes.

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Like I said. This happened back when we were about to get Mighty Mouse.
    It is playing in their heads and for Shane to hint that more is going on... It only adds to the speculation.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Agreed. Not only, Morey has gone on record stating that nobody is untouchable. I am sure the players know this by now.

4. Boxer

Boxer Member

It is the team knowing that if you can do this to McGrady - who took the court with a knee and shoulder that would require serious surgical intervention in the 2008 playoffs against Utah - and alone - Rafer down, Yao out, Battier hobbled, the kids (Scola, Landry, Brooks) all rookies and he alone leaving his career on the court - fighting, scrapping against the "FOUL EARLY, FOUL OFTEN" Jazz - if the Rockets will do this to McGrady - what happens to them.

I am amazed that so many are blinded by MDS (McGrady Derangement Syndrome) that they are happy to watch the team implode as long as the Rockets treat McGrady badly.

It is weird to watch

1 person likes this.
  5. mattrbowers

mattrbowers Member

It's almost like we're back at training camp again. Remember when there were 4 guys all competing for the last spot on the team? I'm sure they all feel like they are competing for a spot again, except EVERYONE is fair game to leave.

The whole success of this team is dependent upon the team playing better than the sum of its parts, and I think recently we have not seen that happen. That's why we've seen teams give us competitive games when it should have been a blow out.

I hope DM makes a move that will still allow for the Rox to play as a team bigger & better than the sum of its parts. I'm sure he knows this and is trying to ... but nobody will know if it is the right move until it's happened and then we will all see.

Luckily we will have plenty of time between the trade deadline and playoffs to try and get our new guys to gel with the current group.

6. DeeMien

DeeMien Member

You are right on the money! This trade rumor has adversely affected our team because the players think that some of them will be a part of any Tracy's trade.

7. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

+1

The players have either bought into the attention and labels or the team has not taken well to the McGrady situation. My gut feeling is that a lot of guys were excited about filling new roles and becoming contenders once McGrady came back healthy, but with no TMac coming into the lineup to lift them into the next echelon they may have a morale issue apart from an identity crisis

8. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

this is why they should have just played him more and traded him without this whole fiasco...looks to me that landry and scola both think they are being traded..hopefully its only brian cook and dorsey that get traded with tmac

9. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I guess that we'll see how things play out over time, but this type of issue is the reason why it bothered me when Morey low-balled Landry, despite the fact that Morey is an obviously bright guy.

10. brosef

brosef Member

well put. makes you wonder...

11. Boxer

Boxer Member

It is the team knowing that if you can do this to McGrady - who took the court with a knee and shoulder that would require serious surgical intervention in the 2008 playoffs against Utah - and alone - Rafer down, Yao out, Battier hobbled, the kids (Scola, Landry, Brooks) all rookies and he alone leaving his career on the court - fighting, scrapping against the "FOUL EARLY, FOUL OFTEN" Jazz - if the Rockets will do this to McGrady - what happens to them.

I am amazed that so many are blinded by MDS (McGrady Derangement Syndrome) that they are happy to watch the team implode as long as the Rockets treat McGrady badly.

It is weird to watch

12. PhilCollins

PhilCollins Contributing Member

Great point. I have been thinking the same thing.

There is definitely an uncertainty - as anyone can go. Perhps that's why Landry's average has dropped in the last 2 weeks. He would rather have Scola go!!

Plus there is the length of the season too and these things happen. They have lost momentum. The bad part is that the current stretch of games is at home more and against lesser skilled teams.

Hopefully the guys get it together.

Morey make the move quick!

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I like Morey, but the way they have handled this T_Mac situation is not good... Now the crap is rolling down hill and the OP is correct on how it's starting to affect the team..

A lot of these players are young and have never experienced the emotions of going thru a trade before and now you can see it's starting to affect their play.

So the team can either play as a team and grow or decline by playing a lot of 1 on 1 basketball.

T_Man

14. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

That's a great post. I agree 100%

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

As a proffesional athlete you shouldn't think and care about those things. You just earn your PT and play as the highest level you can play. And it shouldn't matter where you play. You just play and earn your money.

But as a normal person it is normal that you worry about that especially when you like the team, the city, fans, etc. I feel your pain.

16. Crush

Crush Rookie

Yes. I surmised as much when the issue of the malaise/funk came up

17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

" I suspect some of these guys are worried about being moved with McGrady and it is affecting their job performance"

If that is, in fact, the case, then that speaks volumes about players wanting to play for the Houston Rockets. In one sense, they could be traded to a contender with a better shot of making the finals, so the trade could benefit them in that regard. And given that the Rockets probably know the odds of them being title contenders are slim, one would potentially welcome a trade?

But it appears that in this instance, they like each other, enjoy playing together and have fun with the 'team' concept over relying on a star player. That speaks volumes for this team ownership and front office.

Its funny because you look at teams like the Wizards and players are just pining to get out. So I guess we are lucky that we have players who love playing in Houston and for the Rockets.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Timely thread, HayesFan. Like others, I'd been mulling over similar thoughts, but you came out and nailed them. There's some of what Leeb said going on as well, but this is, overall, a young team. They aren't crazy about change. They can deal with Tracy sitting, it's happened so often before, but the idea that one or more of them are going to go in a deal involving McGrady, all but comfirmed by Morey, has many of them freaked out.

There have been different responses and this is where, I think, what Leeb said comes into play. I'll just focus on our two 4's. Scola was never a rookie when he came to the team in The Rape of SA, Part II (the Max deal being Part One), but a vet and all star of many years at the highest level in Europe and international play. His adjustment was to the NBA, a different kettle of fish from the young guys, and the problems he's had from time to time lately, IMO, are more from fatigue. If he's rested and the matchups favor him, you can get a game like last night. I think Carl is more affected and it jives with teams figuring out ways to defend him, not a good combination. Scola has been adjusting to teams focusing defenses on him for years. Big difference in experience and attitude. This is where the coach and his staff come into play. They have to put both, Landry in particular, in situations where they can succeed, and keep the blowing trade winds from knocking them off their feet. Them and everyone else.

1 person likes this.
  19. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

I really doubt it's a conscious effort to play at a lower level. Besides, I don't really think a player's value has that much effect on your tradablity at this point. Just taking your example, if Landry becomes less value as an asset, it may mean that Toronto becomes less interested, but also that the Rockets are more willing to let him go. We don't know if Toronto has any interest in either to begin with, though we speculate that it's likely based on different facts about the individual players.

So it makes sense the players are concerned about trade possibilities, but logic would say that they really gain nothing by worrying or trying to change thier trade value somehow.

I wonder if there are any players, besides tmac and cook, that actually want to be traded? Just speculated, Ariza could think that if he feels the offense isn't allowing him to grow the way he wants, though I seriously doubt that. Lowry may feel like he should be a starter, but I doubt he wants to leave either.

20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i think it is definitely having an effect and posted the same thing last night. glad you made a thread out of it because if so many have this "hunch," there's bound to be some truth to it. sure there are other factors, but i don't buy the teams figuring us out thing. we are playing with less focus, which is a product of desire. if you think you may be shown the door, or that your teammate will, you tend to lose some desire, it's human nature.