1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Inevitable Trade causing Team Issues

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hayesfan, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Okay I wanted a fresh place to discuss this so I started a new thread.

Ever since the situation with Tmac came to a head this team has struggled. We can call it schedule related, competition related, whatever you want, but the bottom line seems to be TEAM related.

First of all... please don't turn this into a "bring back Tracy" thread.

Second of all... I don't think that it's the team wanting Tracy back...

My hypothesis is, no matter that they say it isn't a distraction, knowing that one or some of them are going to HAVE to be part of any trade with Tracy is throwing the team out of sync.

First it was the starters that were trying to "prove" they belonged by going one on one every chance they got. Then the starters seemed to pull it together offensively and started falling apart defensively. No communication (or so it seems) and people getting open for uncontested layups.

The bench seemed to be doing fine... for a while... but then they started relying too much on Landry and struggled as well. Defensively they haven't ever been great, but now there is little to no consistency in their defense what so ever.

So the discussion I'd like to see, is points for and against the idea that the impending player movement that is likely before the trade deadline is causing a lot of our focus problems.

One thing I thought was interesting came out of Shane's mouth after the game yesterday... “I don’t think we are as connected as we were earlier in the year,” forward Shane Battier said link . “There are different reasons for that, but this is the time to turn it around.”

Am I just being a defeatist? I know that for me, my job performance declined a lot when they started laying people off... and isn't that the same sort of situation when the players think they may end up having to play for some team like New York or the Wizards?

14 people like this.
  2. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Have to agree with this....

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Makes sense.

Or it could just be a midseason lull that most teams (even the good ones) will go through.

Or it could be that the Rockets are better scouted now than they were at the beginning of the year, and so they are easier to stop.

Maybe some combination.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think it has more to do with the new roles thrust on the players like AB and Landry.

AB is trying to become the alpha dog

Landry is trying to become Mr. 4th Quarter.

the team has been riding a high and is forgetting what get them there in the first place.

HUFFORT. HARD NOSE DEFENSE. MOVEMENT. FAST BREAKS.

5. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

yeah, this has been my gut feeling too.

we are in the last month before the deadline now, so its gotta be really unsettling. especially since the team is so young and hasn't been through this kind of experience much.

6. trugoy

trugoy Member

the players play well with adversity, all the "cinderella" stories at the start of the year are now normal, they are expected to be a good team that plays hard so there is less for them to prove.

7. kgoodman

kgoodman Contributing Member

I thought the exact same thing(s).

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Personally, I think it's more about the length of the season more than anything else.

You can play with a lot of energy at the beginning of the season due to starting off fresh. You can do it too at the end of the season if you're fighting for a playoff spot.

But mid-season is when it really wears on you.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Great thread overall. I think this makes a lot of sense because it's spot on -- someone in the rotation is going to go. I can't see them not moving an asset. I know these guys are professionals, but they're also human -- has to weigh on the minds of some of these players.

10. acefan18

acefan18 Member

My thoughts exactly. Good thread

11. dexkk

dexkk Member

I thought it was more along the lines of opponents paying more attention to our Rockets players (having better defensive assignments against us).

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Didn't the Rockets management already admit this by asking Tracy to leave the team? They saw this coming months ago. Unfortunately, it's just part of the job. They just have to weather the storm for the next month and hope for the best. I also think a big part of the defensive problems are due to the team having such a crazy schedule the first part of the year that hasn't allowed them a lot of team practices to correct mistakes....regardless, we will all be in a better place by this time next month.

13. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

i think they are just burned out and running on fumes. team needs a spark. the adrenaline at beginning of season to prove doubters wrong has worn off.plus teams have scouted and figured out landry and brooks. leave hayes and ariza and double landry and trap brooks and this team goes nowhere.

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Agreed. I've noticed Lowry's shooting has gone in the dumper for the last month after he started off shooting much better to begin this season. Landry's performances have suffered recently with the double teams and him still trying to make "the play" instead of moving the ball quickly. I suspect some of these guys are worried about being moved with McGrady and it is affecting their job performance.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

I don't like to read too much into things, so the OP may be right but I agree with the last point of what Durv said. Teams are figuring us out as a team, and also player wise.(ie: See: Landry)

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I hope this isn't the case but it makes sense. I mean, this isn't the first time in this league one of these "you know it's coming" type trades have been brewing. All the same, I can understand how that might be a problem and become a distraction. You just have to keep your head up and keep playing, which I am sure is the mentality Battier and others try to carry when leading this team.

17. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree 100% ... so DM get it over with and do your trade(s) ASAP!

18. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

It started as soon as we agreed to trade Tracy publically...

Every player in the locker room thinks they are going to be the one added to the trade. They aren't stupid. They know Tracy isn't going to be the only one leaving. And until that trade is finalized, every player is going to play with that in the back of their mind.

It happened the year we "traded" for Damon Stoudamire. Half the team knew they were in that trade. Elie spoke of being gone... Keeping Rhodes meant losing the team for about a month and a half.

I was going to start a thread just like this one. Glad you beat me to it Hayesfan.

19. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Hayesfan again.

Glad someone else said what I was thinking.

20. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

I think the notion of a trade is even more of a reason that they should play much better.

If a player really wants to stay with his team, then he should focus on playing well and not on the thought of trades happening.

1 person likes this.