1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Iko] Rockets value KPJ’s development over Green’s.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Nov 13, 2021.

1. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

You left out Westbrook.

NBA players aren’t always the best at weighing what is difficult to do in relation to what wins games.

I will also flip this on you more as it pertains to KPJ. We know KPJ’s game recognized he wanted Jalen over Mobley. It also seems like the Mobleys didn’t want to hitch themselves to KPJ again (though probably for reasons other than “game”).

For what it’s worth I’m not really weighing in on the general point about KPJ.

#141 ChillyPete32, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's certainly a bold strategy to declare the worst player on the team is the franchise player....

Hype and draft position do not a franchise player make.

wolstein, hakeem94 and tycoonchip like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree Green needs to go the second unit, but really? Brooks, Augustine, House, Garuba all say hello. Green needs to play to get better, but 20-25 mins as sixth man would be sufficient.

D-rock and tycoonchip like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nor do just talent and athleticism. Kid’s got “it” AND the motor, magic recipe. You can wait for more evidence, you’re right his stats are really bad right now.

If stats were the only predictor of the future we’d stop playing chief.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's fine, I've heard some people suggest that. I guess where I'm at is that until I see him have "it", imo there is no franchise player on the team. No one has done anything to earn that title.

Could Green do so one day when he learns how to play basketball and develops his body? Maybe, but you just don't hand that title to the worst player on the team because of what you hope he'll one day be.

7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you are grossly underrating his ability to participate in photo sessions, his hairstyle, IG and twitter flowers...

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Yes, before the World Series I was telling myself “These guys have won five division titles, three American League championships, a World Series... Winning another is just a cherry on top! It’s been a great few years with many great moments!” And yet, after I was still...

[​IMG]

9. hakeemthagreat

Sengun is holding himself back. Silas can't teach him simple fundamentals

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Why are all of your posts complete nonsense about Sengun? Your obsession makes you look super pathetic, just so you know.

D-rock, cmoak1982 and hakeem94 like this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Well let me make that decision easy for the Rockets… do not extend KPJ. I see more TWill than TMac. All the physical gifts in the world but just not a productive nba player. He can’t pass without turning it over. He can’t finish at the rim. He can’t shoot consistently. He can’t defend… but in a highlight reel he looks like a superstar. Twill 2.0. Move on.

Start Sengun and see how good he can be with more offense going through him. Realize that you actually did score in the draft and look like a winner rather than someone who lost but doesn’t realize it and drains the kids college fund at the roulette table.

Have Jalen Green “turn an ankle” with an extended rehab session that calls for Grover to work him out for 3 months and give him some pt down in the GLeague… you know… “rehab”. He’s just not ready for the nba physically and mentally he’s going to hit a bad wall if you don’t essentially restart his career in a crafty way.

In the draft you get so few bites at the apple. Thinking they got time on anyone is a mistake and an arrogant move by Stone. He needs to assert himself more and make these obvious decisions known so they can be executed by the coaching staff.

#151 dobro1229, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  12. cheke64

cheke64 Member

6'7 KPJ could not get past 5'11 37 year old CP3 with open lanes. That's embarassing, just man to man defense and you beat us. We're too dumb and soft to read open lanes.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

FIRE SILAS BEFORE TONIGHTS GAME

15. dobro1229

When you are scared of McGee…

I mean McGee was great last night but still. They were obviously playing funnel defense and sinking everything back. Very little respect for this teams shooting ability and they are right. This team has no confidence shooting the ball whatsoever, and that starts with the backcourt. I’ve seen enough of this backcourt to know that at least this season it’s not just going to click out of nowhere.

The coaches and front office cannot be this arrogant and need to find ways to reset the seasons of Green and KPJ in different ways. It doesn’t mean they can’t be starters again later this season if they improve but they aren’t going to improve in an offense that treats them as though they are Steph and Klay or Harden and Durant which I honestly think Silas thinks they are. It’s painful to watch how oblivious Silas is to what he actually has in player abilities. He’s bad not because of his ability to coach the Princeton office vs the triangle or whatever … it because of this.

D-rock likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

dobro1229 likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When fans start to like fantasy scenarios where one of the players injure themselves you know we've reached a low point in the time line. JFC.

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. dobro1229

I don't think it's fantasy at all, and something that I've seen happen before for rookies who aren't ready. Having a re-launch or reset to his season after a few weeks or a month off to do work in the gym isn't always a terrible thing.

You also are managing the mentality of the player too. Just getting demoted could have a negative reaction. But having some time off to work in the gym, having a "rehab" stint in the G-League to get his confidence up, and then bringing him in as a 6th man scorer "first" (in his mind) to start him back up with a smaller role off the bench... might be the best thing that could happen to him right now.

I think it's more important that he's surging in March rather than putting up league record worst ever stats in February. I think a "reset" would actually be smart but that's just me.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Just bench him dude - nobody should wish for turned ankles and the such for that to happen. Rookies who arent playing well arent going to have a negative reaction. Its probably best for everyone and I'd bet Jalen himself would say he's playing bad right now. Why take it to injury though? Thats what I dont get.

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  20. dobro1229

You think I want to go all Tonya Harding on him or something?? What the hell?

I wasn't wishing an injury on him. I was clearly saying that the team should... well... let's just be frank....lie and use the physical toll (I'm sure there is some sort of nagging pain he has... I never during a season didn't have some sort of nagging pain) as an excuse to reset the season after some rehab workouts. The physicality of the game is clearly an issue for him so why wait? It's a long season. Give a rookie like him basically a split season to he can have the experience of two seasons in one in a way.

Whenever I train a new sales person on my team I'll do it all the time where I bring them out of training, and let them sell independently with clients for awhile, and then after a couple months have them do a reset of the training. I hear all the time from them how the second "boot camp" or whatever actually stuck more and made them better because they had some experience to apply it to.

I think it's a great idea but what the hell do I know. I'm not actually wanting to take a hit out on our players though like you think... geezus.