1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Iko] Rockets value KPJ’s development over Green’s.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr Woods, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Thats your theory that weight, height, and strength are connected. I wasn’t even arguing about weight or strength and my initial position was its about body control and drawing contact.

Doesn’t matter how small you are as iverson has proven. 6ft 165 is quite small. That’s not what’s keeping Green from being successful on dribble drives and getting foul shots. Ja morant was 6 ft 3 at 174 his rookie year btw. Not that much bigger than iverson. That didn’t keep him from scoring against bigger opponents since he plays an agressive contact style. Thats not Greens game. He isn’t using his body. It aint his weight.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Doesn't surprise me

Rising tide lifts all boats

If Porter plays well.....Green gets better looks.

Pecking order development:
    Porter Jr.....followed by Wood/Green/Sengun.....followed by Chet/Banchero/Patrick Baldwin/etc

If any of those new picks we get next season can play. They will get some run time.
    Porter needs to be comfortable in his role in that scenario as well. It's in anticipation
    of what's to come next year......improving skills this year.

DeBeards, fattz and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not a theory, it's fact.

6'3 174 is significantly "bigger" and stronger than 6'6 185.

This is basic stuff.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is dumb because you don't have to choose one or the other. We don't care about wins and Wall is sitting, there are plenty of shots, practice time and development coaches.

Really don't understand. Is Iko just speculating and are the Rockets ok with publicizing this? How can Green and his camp not be pissed to hear this? This is the #2 pick we don't put his development on hold, period.

GotGame15 likes this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

“Significantly bigger and stronger”. According to whom? Scientifically? What evidence or sample group do you have for this? Does weight indicate strength? Especially when you said Iverson is significantly bigger and stronger than Green. So more weight proportional to a player’s height equals more strength? And how do you quantify this or measure this in terms of success in the NBA or offensive ability because your initial position is Green needs more weight to be a more effective scorer.

I mentioned iverson who is quite thin at 165. Im 170 6ft and this is very thin already. I even mentioned the size of opponents he plays against and added that morant wasn’t that much bigger than iverson which according to your theory iverson would still somehow be stronger than morant. How is Evan Mobley effective offensively at 7 ft 215 pounds? How is noel nerlens a defensive force at 6 ft 11 220 which is small relative to players that height. Oh yeah and KD was getting 20 and 4 as a 6 ft 10 rookie at 212. That’s why my contention is its style of play not weight as you contend. Hey we agree to disagree.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

That's not even what the article says. They aren't choosing one over the other. They just think it's more important right now to develop KPJ into a PG because it's a much harder task. They don't seem to worry too much about Green and just to have him come along naturally. As in there's no rush for Green.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes but it's not more important. It's just more urgent. Those are totally different things.

Green is almost certainly more important. You don't have to prioritize one or the other. If we can accelerate Green's development, of course accelerate it. It's not about rush, it's about taking advantage of opportunities. What exactly stops them from doing both??

Frankly I would fire a Rockets employee for saying this. I would be pissed if I were Green.

8. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Not really surprising. This is essentially the year where KPJ should put it together.

34to11 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When talking about professional athletes, more weight proportional to height almost always means more strength.

Evan Mobley is effective due to a combination of skill and length, Green has neither, he just has raw athleticism.

With KD, his rookie season was by far the least efficient season of his career due to struggling with his shot.... partially because he was so skinny... and he was a MUCH better shooter than Green.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Imagine developing both.

The amount of work that would require from the Rockets management......

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

oh ok sure you can have the last word.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Who cares what he is better at, he needs to get better at pretty much everything, particularly shooting and defense.

DD

13. fattz

fattz Member

Porter’s contract is very different than Green’s making Porter’s timeline different. This is a business so the relationship is different. Porter has 2 years of minimum salary vs Green up to 7 years of 2nd highest pick rookie scale. Porter & the Rockets know the more he produces the bigger his next contract will be and all NBA contracts are fully guaranteed. (Wall)

DeBeards likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He seems to have improved defensively but I need to see him do it consistently for like 20-30 games at a time without John Lucas yelling at him. His 3ball is easy to improve. He has the talent to do/learn anything, it's just about figuring out what he wants to stick to. If he's going to be a consistent defender, it will raise the floor of his career dramatically.

The biggest difference he can make to his game is to either attack way earlier and faster or immediately make the open pass/shot. If he wants to slow it down, he has to attack the basket and try to get 6-10 FTA, that's the only way to be efficient playing isolation at a slow pace - and to be frank I don't think his game is anywhere near ready to be successful at that. I don't know if he understands that.

I still think he'd benefit from leading a more veteran 2nd unit while Augustin runs the less experienced starters where Green and Wood can benefit from a good vet PG. Feel like there are too many obstacles for Scoot right now and they're not all about his playmaking abilities. Playing with Gordon/Sengun/House against second units would make his life so much easier, they all know how to move and pass in the offense.

fattz likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good thing, Iko is not a Rocket employee then, just from the Athletic.

16. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Can't get better if he gets the ball with 5 sec on the shotclock to bail out the rockets.

34to11, Jontro and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I think this makes sense. KPJ was a huge risk when we took him in, he only has a year maybe two at most to prove hes worth it. Management is fully behind him and sees certain things worth putting him first on the list. There were a couple of games where he looked very good, like a true PG, but what bothers me the most is him giving up right when it doesnt go his way. He would miss a layup and not back on defense. He would get fouled and complain while not getting back on defense. He gets easily frustrated. KPJ would be soo much better if he just put his head down and ignored the refs.

This still doesnt justify the questionable moves and coaching by Silas..

18. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Maybe he should value the ball more when he does get it. Instead of thinking he plays soccer.

19. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

simply hype, find stories to draw much attention so that sell their membership

20. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

I just listened and not even he (Iko) believes this to be true.

It is just another wild take, for the sake of being wild.

#120 ickaruto, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    GotGame15 likes this.