1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Pistons pass on Cade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, Jul 27, 2021.

?

If Pistons pass on Cade?????

1. Draft Cade?

101 vote(s)
    74.8%
  2. Trade pick to OKC for #6, SGA, and all our other picks back?

34 vote(s)
    25.2%
  1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Lol ain’t happening. Cade will be a piston.

steddinotayto likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think Stone would take Cade at #2 if he was there and dial up Presti and tell him to pony up SGA, the #6, and the original pick swaps from the Westbrook trade. If Presti balks, we keep Cade and be happy. If Presti caves and agrees we have a firmer control on our future from an asset perspective.

3. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I've seen a few responses around SGA killing the cap flexibility of OKC (or any team that ends up with him). The whole point of cap flexibility is to get good players. I get that SGA costs more than a stud on a rookie deal, I really do, but the odds of Cade or Green putting up similar numbers is probably less than 50% and I say that as someone who likes both players.

This is where I think NBA GMs have become so smart that they become dumb… The team was 16-19 when he played, and that team did not have much talent around SGA. He’s legit. Resign him. Upgrade the roster elsewhere and see where things go. They aren't anywhere near capped out and they have tons of draft capital. The GM needs to his/her job and make the right coaching and roster moves.

If the team is mediocre in 3 years (barring injuries) its a direct reflection of the GM not making the right moves. Not an indication that SGA isnt worth investing in.

It’s really hard to be an efficient perimeter player on a trash team. Everyone understands that Bradley Beal is a great player in a bad situation but his shooting splits and playmaking are below SGAs.

If SGA is truly available I would love throw some picks at OKC for his services.

clutchdabear and randerson like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean, i don't really think Presti has any idea of dumping Shai or moving him at all costs now, i'm sure he's just doing his job and look if there's a great deal to be made, otherwise he'll be totally fine with extending him.

randerson likes this.
  5. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

I haven’t cared about the draft in such a long time. I hate the way our window closed pre-maturely and I especially hate the way the season went but I’m so glad we ended up at #2 instead of 18.

I can’t remember the last time I posted in draft-related threads. I probably had a strong opinion about the Rudy Gay trade and had to vent on draft night.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Shai is 25/5/5 guy who can get his own shot. I don't even know if cade will be as good. Wood, sga,kpj is not a bad base.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Why not?

Why not? Member

@Reeko this is the better place for my response about if Detroit passes on Cade.

I know it’s not popular, but as I mentioned, the foundation for this opinion is my belief in KPJ and his potential to be a cornerstone star for us.

I believe he needs the ball in his hands to be most effective. It doesn’t look like we’ll be getting rid of Wall anytime soon, so KPJ’s minutes at PG are already limited. If we draft Cade (or Suggs) then that dude immediately becomes the future for us as a ball-handler… relegating KPJ to a backseat 6th man type role… at least for a year or 2.

With what he’s shown already, I’m not willing to sacrifice a potential star for anybody in this draft. We don’t need an upgrade at PG. I know we’re bad enough that we seemingly need everything but KPJ is the greatest hope we have. I want to prioritize (and maximize) his development.

With that said, if Green is taken #1 overall, then I personally prefer that we trade down and take Scottie Barnes. I know he isn’t mentioned in the top 4 like the other guys, but I just love the dog in him. He’s got the mentality to do all of the dirty work but the skill to develop into a star. A la Jimmy Butler, PG, or Giannis, he can be a stud defender early and continue to develop his offense over time (something Mobley will be doing as well… and Suggs to a lesser extent). Barnes’ length and athletic profile are second to none in this class. He’s faster than the guards and bigger than most of the bigs in this draft.

Not polished like Cunningham at all, but I think he has a higher ceiling at a much lower cost without sacrificing KPJ in the process.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I can dig it. You have to have a plan and it sounds like Stone is buying into KPJ as a cornerstone. If DET takes Green at 1 we should move down. Pry an unprotected 1st from a lottery team and shoot for Paolo, Chet or Jaden next year. Im not sold on Cade as a franchise changer and Suggs/Mobley are persona non grata in Houston. They dont want to be here then move around.

Why not? likes this.
  11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

24 hours before the draft and Cade hasn’t been promised he’s the pick. That’s unusual.

12. Jalen Green OnlyFan

SGA can’t sniff what Green or even Cade are capable of.

SGA might be the most overrated player in NBA history given what internet thinks of him.

I’m not worried about his 24 ppg in 50/40/80 or w/e in OKC. He’s a low ceiling fringe all star guy

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

the irony of someone calling a proven NBA player with years under his belt overrated vs all these assumptions on how good 2 rookies may be, who pretty much none of you have even seen enough. And nothing more than reading draft profiles on the internet and a few minutes of youtube. classic cf's take

Reeko, houston19519 and D-rock like this.
  14. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Would you rather have an unproven Kobe Bryant or a proven vlade divac?

It’s a star driven league and green is worth investing in over cashing it for mediocrity. Sky is the limit.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

this has nothing to do with what was posted

and green is worth investing why? because that's your assumption like i said. don't call someone else this most overrated player when you're trying to prop up a rookie who you have no clue how good he will be.

D-rock and Reeko like this.
  16. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Still not understand why anyone thinks Detroit passing on Cade is a possibility. Trade down? Maybe. But just pass on him? Pistons management might be stupid, but they're not suicidal.

Fulgore likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Weaver prides himself on being a maverick.

18. Jalen Green OnlyFan

It does though. In this analogy jalen is the unproven rookie (kobe) and shai is the proven mediocrity (vlade)

We’ll be looking back at Jalen as a perennial all star soon. He has that rare mixture of feel for the game, basketball IQ, and intangibles plus prototypical SG talent.

Rockets and Jalen both needed each other at the perfect time.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Cade and Mobley more, but not so much more that willing to give up assets to move up.

Just take Green, especially if that was the promise.

Rockets cannot afford to keep alienating players and their reps.

Verbal Christ and RasaqBoi like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right, but in this scenario Green goes #1. Everyone is like YAY we get Cade, but what if he isnt it? Why not cash that "lotto" ticket for someone like Scottie Barnes - maybe the best 2 way player in the draft AND get an extra crack at the crop from next year?

No BS do you really view Mobley that much better than Chet or Paolo? I know you really like Jaden. Have you seen the Alperen Segun thread? Some guys are arguing taking him #1!! LOL

D-rock likes this.