1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Cp wasn’t so greedy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by threepointshot3, Nov 28, 2018.

1. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Remember this post? :cool:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/cp3-and-the-convenient-nbpa-mask-he-hides-behind.292184/

Nothing has changed since. The Rockets will only improve if other players take the paycut while CP2 gets his arse stuffed with money.

"Oh, we would still be over the cap if the took a paycut"
    "Oh, you can´t blame a guy for getting paid"
    Try to defend Morey and CP1 as much as you want, but having more than 70% of next year CAP committed to two players in Harden and CP0.5, while noone will trade for CP0.25 with that ridiculous contract. So what? If we need to rebuild we need to move our franchise player and MVP?

Flexibility is key, and each penny over the cap counts. Period.

And by the way, no, so far CP0.1 isn´t proving me wrong.

2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

We won 55 games pre CP3 built around Harden. We can be a good team even when Paul is injured, so that's only a limited excuse for me.

Back in 2016-17 for role players we had Gordon, Beverley, Ryno playing well in his 1st year, Lou Williams after Feb, Nene playing nearly 70 games and Montrezl being a great energy guy for the 8th/9th guy.

This year we have Gordon, Green, Knight (injured), Nene (injured), MCW (awful), Chriss (awful) and a bunch of rookies who arent good enough yet.

HP3 and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

Problem is giving away Ryno for nothing. Should’ve tried to reconcile while working on a better deal.

4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

oh man another bandwagon fan. can you stop posting kid?

5. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

1. Chris Paul should've signed with the Rockets, instead of a Sign and Trade.
    2. The Rockets traded every asset to the Clippers, A 1st Rd Pick, Montrezl Harrell and Lou Willams, Patrick Beverley are Leading the Clippers with a Excellent Record.
    3. Houston Fans seem Lazy and Fair Weather, The Lower Seats are always Empty which is Embarrasing.
    4. Every Fan Hated Ryan Anderson and wanted him gone.
    5. Daryl Morey has to Value the NBA Draft, Hire Better, More Scouts that live in the East Coast, West Coast.
    6. Throwing in 1st Rd Picks in Dumping Salary is just Foolish, Jeremy Lin, Corey Brewer
    7. Will Daryl Morey Draft Better Talent.
    Marcus Morris over Kawhi Leonard
    Jeremy Lamb,Terrence Jones, Royce White over Draymond Green
    Joey Dorsey over DeAndre Jordan
    Wanted to draft Marc, overruled Overlooked Marc Gasol because of his weight
    2nd Round Nikola Jokic

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He needs to hire Tom Brady's trainer

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think this line of thought is ridiculous. It's a business and one in which players only have a short amount of time to make their fortunes. Every player should be looking to maximize every contract. CP3 did the best thing for himself and his family and I'll begrudge no man or woman for that.

Hmc415, HP3, topfive and 1 other person like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cp3 isn't the problem. It's pathetic that the MVP can't lead a team to wins over garbage teams. Even T-mac could do that.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's deeper than the two people, and it's not just this offseason. Did you not read Clutch's article about how Ryan Anderson's contract hurt us, not because of the cap but the tax.

And we could still sign MLE players. Instead, we got vet min guys.

I don't blame players for wanting as much money as they can. It's the management's job to juggle these contracts. Morey used to be great at managing these things. Ever since we were going all in to beat GS, he has been gambling with ludicrous contracts such as Ryno's and CP's and pretty much mortgaged our near future.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is both, and Gordon. As much as people whine about the scrubs we signed (and I don't disagree), the main problem is those guys. Look at last night's loss. It's not the bench players who got killed. Almost all starters got double digit minus points. Chris Paul was the best among them last night getting a zero by not playing.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

nobody was ever going to pay max for capela

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

harden is so selfish and greedy taking that $228 mil

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Honestly, I know the Ryno hate trends for certain reasons around here but this is more problematic to me than CP3's deal. And my god, right now how big would a forward who can hit 3s be? If Ryno had a 8-12 mil a year contract it wouldn't have been a big deal. Took someone who obviously has mental blocks, overpaid him, shattered his confidence every chance you got and then got rid of him in a deal that did not favor us. File this one under the grass isn't greener on the other side I guess. Morey holding the L on this one. Resigning CP3 isn't even a question is it?

14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

How would signing CP3 rather than trading for him (it wasn't a Sign and Trade BTW) have helped?

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Can't believe I'm going to say this but I think CP3 is pouting and making a point by sitting out all these games early in the season. Don't get me wrong, I think he's injured but I also think he can play through it but he's not. He's not because his buddy was scapegoated despite Rox claims he wasn't. Now his approach is if I have a papercut I'm sitting out. His comments about trust and truth after the Melo announcement were very strange and the nagging injuries started very early this season which is not typical for him. He's a very emotional player who got his money and I think he's sending MDT and Morey a message. A very immature, emotional, message. It sucks.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It couldn't happen in the first place. We were up against the cap. Unless you traded Anderson with 3 first rounders we had to get rid of salary for Paul's past contract.

Fake news boss. Paul is sitting because regular season games in November don't mean much. They want to make sure he's healthy for the playoffs. This has zero to do with Melo.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, but only smart people. Hence this thread.

Williamson, HP3 and YOLO like this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Capela was on the FA market for most of the summer and the media never reported anything about him getting offers anywhere close to the max. The Rockets offer was the best one he got.

Ryno simply didn't live up to his contract. We gave him the money that a starting PF deserves, when he can space the floor by hitting 40% from 3 and rebound and defend a little. Ryno failed on all three fronts. We gave him a Ferrari and he drove like a Ford.

20. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

It was possibe. At the time of the trade we were around $11M under the cap. We could have theoretically shed enough salary to open up space to sign CP3.

The problem is that in a trade we only had to be within 25% of what we were taking back. Bev, Harrell, Williams and Decker's salaries only added up to $15.3M which wasn't quite enough to make the trade. Morey got creative and acquired every low salary player on a non-guarenteed deal that he could find. Adding some of those non-guarenteed deals made the deal work.

If we had signed CP3 outright, then we need to open enough cap space to fit 100% if his salary. That would have required us to shed $20M+ in salary. So we would still have had to get rid of those same guys but we would have also needed to dump $5M in additional salary.

That was my point. In order to sign CP3 outright, we would have needed to get rid of all those same guys PLUS more.

Morey is a salary cap genius. Message board posters thinking that they know better than Morey is laughable.