1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 and the convenient NBPA mask he hides behind

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hajkov, Jul 3, 2018.

1. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

CP3 wants a ring.
    CP3 wants to beat the GSW.
    CP3 wants LBJ and/or friends to join him.
    yet, CP3 wanted to have the max.

Can you have it all? Not the biggest optimistic out there will say it is possible.

I wanted to believe CP3 was rowing against the tide and leading by example so players would stop taking paycuts and ruining the NBA.
    Players should get paid for what they worth, he once said.

But then comes reality, and Boogie at 27y and accept playing for the chimps, I mean champs, for 5M$.

Also, think about LBJ, First VP of NBPA his one of the biggest reason why players started to teaming up. They are so close to a point they are each others´ sons godparents.
    When we heard CP3 was trying recruiting LBJ, was he trying to convince him to take a paycut and join Houston? or CP3 though Houston would have cap to pay LBJ the max too? (afterall, if players are supposed to get what they are worth, and CP3 can get the max, LBJ should have the max-max).

What about other players? To win, is he expecting others like Luc, Gerald, Tucker, to take less than they are worth? Ariza sure didn´t and left.
    Will Capela be forced to go to another team so he can get paid what he is worth?

After CP3 got extended by a freaking 160M$ contract for FOUR years, at 33yo in an injury-plagued career, it made it clear he is all about HIS money.
    CP3 has accumulated 186M$ of salary so far. He will nearly DOUBLE his earnings in this new contract. Not to mention image rights and sponsorship.

OK, so what´s the message of this post?

I don´t blame him for getting paid. He is one of the best PG in the history of the game, and he found a team willing to pay the money he wanted. It is a business after all.

I just want him to cut the crap by saying he wants to win badly or that beating GSW is the ultimate goal, because when money was on the table, he quickly grabbed it without thinking about the team he was playing in.

As a fan I want my team to win. We got close thanks to CP3, but we also didn´t because he got injured -again- when we needed him the most.
    I appreciate your effort while playing, CP, I know you really tryied, but you fell short. You couldn´t avoid your injury, but surely you could have avoided this huge contract, specially when your mission wasn´t accomplished.

Next year, we start at ~78M$ committed to Harden and CP3, and everyone knows (including CP3) that the only way we get a good team is if others get paycut.
    Will he go against his own acts and lobby for players to join? Or after signing this contract he just quit?

CP3, infamous in the league about his flopping ability, made the biggest flop of his career -this contract-. And he got the call.
    Man, how I wanted to be wrong... Can you prove me wrong CP3?

2. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Even if he took a small contract we'd still have no cap space.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

When you trade for and hope to resign the NBA player Union rep you know how much you’ll have to pay him.

You knew he would ask for his max. Lebron took his Max too.

These were known factors. Morey gambled on a 2-3 year window. It almost got us a Championship last season but now it might get him fired in two years

c1utchfan925, RyanB, J Sizzle and 4 others like this.
  4. mockster

mockster Member

Yeah, I’m on the same boat, they don’t really want it, they want there money more. Both harden and cp3 could’ve took less. Durant and Lebron have taken way less abd guess what they both have rings. That’s the difference. There about there money first and rings second

lw17 likes this.
  5. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Partially true, but my criticism is not in the short term.
    He might have deserved his 40 million after last season, just don´t do it at 4 years where you will be 36.

Yung-T and buffalobills!!! like this.
  6. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

My same thoughts

BigggReddd likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Chris Paul and LeBron have the audacity to expect billionaires to pay free agents, not take the money from one player to give to another.

Kevin Durant's paycut's had had zero to do with Golden States ability to sign free agents, they have no cap restrictions on bird rights and Cousins took the taxpayer MLE. They could have paid Durant the full max, paid Iguodala whatever he wanted, and signed Cousins. Durant took a paycut to save billionaires money. He shouldn't but he did.

The only inexcusable true f**k up CP3 made was not agreeing to cap smoothing. It was a stupid choice at the time, and it ended up with disastrous consequences for anybody wanting to win a title.

#7 sealclubber1016, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    34to11, UTSA2step, robgue and 10 others like this.
  8. buck711

buck711 Member

How do we know he didn't tell Lebron he would take a cut if Lebron came to Houston?

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

it really doesn't matter what mauri does this off-season. he could have signed sipithree to minimum wage and the rockets would still not get any meaningful free agents and the worriers would still win the next 5 championships cus cheat engine.

Rocket River likes this.
  10. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Well, for this year, it didn’t matter. No cap is no cap. It will be tough going forward though. Especially while the rich get richer.

Rocket River likes this.
  11. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Come on man why are you b****ing? Would you prefer he just cut loose and went to the LA with lebron? This man can't control his injuries. PG13 got the MAX and he seemingly disappeared? So which is worse? A player that folds and get the max? Or one that has an injury? Smh. Guess what else most of the OKC fans where thrilled to have him back. Not crying about money he didn't leave on the table....

34to11, HP3, The Hunted and 1 other person like this.
  12. hakeemthagreat

If you're blaming CP for negotiating as much $$$ as he could, then you should retire as a sports fans. This is part of any part of business. It's Morey's job to sort out roster moves. When Morey lowballs a player into coming here, or promises a 3rd or 4th year then reniggs like he did Nene, are we to blame Chris Paul? It works both way. I will never fault a player for getting paid

13. ctry25

ctry25 Member

This post is terrible.

If he was really about his money he could have reupped for the max with the Clippers last year OR opted out and signed for the max somewhere else. Instead, he opted in for us to get him, and even now, he could have demanded the 5 year max. Rockets probably wanted a 3 year deal, so, they met in the middle.

At the end of the day they were a half away from the Finals. Of course they signed him.

Worry about the back end of the contract 3-4 years from now. Focus on the here and now.

34to11, HP3, The Hunted and 4 others like this.
  14. brosef

brosef Member

Silly thread.

RoyalGuard likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is so ridiculous and needs to stop

CP3 should not be getting attacked for taking what he’s worth. Like I said yesterday, it’s bullsh*t that the NBA incentivizes players to take less money. CP3 taking less wouldn’t even have given us any cap space. It is not his fault that KD refuses to take what he’s worth. It is not his fault that Boogie chooses to settle for the taxpayer MLE. CP3 took a 10 mil paycut last summer, and then is getting crucified for not sacrificing yet again. Nonsense...

the narrative has now shifted to if a player takes what they’re worth, they’re greedy and don’t care about winning a ring

maybe if we didn’t have 20 mil chillin on the bench we’d be in a better position...

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Complete and total bullshit
    CP3 signs for 1 dollar. . . .LeBron is still not coming here
    Should we have given Ariza a 15 mill contract?
    We will probably give Capela what ever the MArket Calls for but should we have just given him 25 million?
    Should we have offered Cousins 10 Million?

Other than LeBron . . .what have we missed out on because we capped out
    Cousins - Achilles and a bad investment - it was money prohibitive but his injury is concerning
    Rondo - Really? I dunno if he plans on being a back up . . cause he would be here . . .He is an ok player
    Lance Stevenson - MMMKay
    Dwight Howard - MMMM Kay

Other than LeBron who is CP3's contact preventing us from getting?
    This is scapegoat sh*t

And the Rockets can still win . . . . . Nah this chicken little **** is out of hand

Rocket River

17. Purvis's shorts

This team is gonna regret offering Chris Paul that ridiculous contract

hajkov likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well no, he probably thought he'd get here the same way he did: opt in, put off free agency for a year, sign max deal next year.

Well no, he's restricted free agent. It's a beautiful thing he can go out and sign any offer with any team, bring it back to the Rockets and they can decide to match or let him walk.

As I said last night, ...

So because Golden State takes a pay cut, the rest of the league has to take a pay cut now too? Who the hell are we to tell Chris Paul or James Harden how much they should or shouldn't be making or that they need to take a pay cut?

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why? U wouldn’t take a 4 year max if u were CP3? Stop it...

players will do what’s best for them...start looking at it from that perspective and not from a fan perspective...it’s easy to count other people’s pockets when it’s not u making the financial decision...

REEKO_HTOWN, Richie_Rich and J.R. like this.
  20. CXbby

CXbby Member

If Lebron wanted to come he would've opted in and still got him money. Nothing to do with CP3's contract.

The Rockets wouldn't have made it to the Western Conference Finals without CP3.
    James Harden wouldn't have gotten his MVP without CP3.
    As good of a season as 16/17 was, it ended with Harden/Rockets being the laughingstock of the league, without CP3.
    If you don't want to pay CP3 and go back to that, be my guest.

Rockets are irrelevant without CP3.