1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I wonder your opinion on Yi Jianlian

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kyle7758521, Mar 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Iunno why he takes so many long mid range shots and shy away from the basket. I mean his mid-range isnt even that great to begin with, hes gotta do more than just camp and be a spot a shooter

2. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

22? Isnt he something like 26. I bet he is pulling a Tejada.

Yi was overhyped. He's solid, but he's never going to reach Yao's potential.

3. Dei

Dei Member

Uh-huh.

Has he learned English yet? Last I've heard, he still speaks through a translator. In contrast, Yao prioritized getting rid of the language barrier the moment he got here.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If he had Yao's work ethic, he'd be a star.

5. sew

sew Member

truth.

right he now floats around the perimeter on offense and can't finish anything when he actually decides to go to the rim.

weak defensively.

If he's 22/23 than there is hope, but if he is actually 24(25?), then he'll be nothing more than a role player.

6. fumduck

fumduck Member

Yi has not had the management backing as Yao. From a business stand point I'm sure both Nets and Bucks wanted to be introduced to the Chinese market following the success of Houston and Yao. But to me, it seems neither organizations were willing or capable of fronting resources to help make Yi into the next Yao.

Yi has a lot of raw tools, would things be different if he was playing for Rockets or Lakers or some team with more to offer?

There are reasons why certain team remain in the hole as long as they do for the years they stay there.

7. redao

redao Member

Both Yao and Yi do not possess those fantastic basketball skills and overwhelming athleticism like other NBA stars do.

Compared to Yao, Yi's only problem is that he is not 7'6" and has to play PF position where NBA is full of superior talents. Yi's future is still in China. NBA is too big of a monster for him.

8. Lovemachine2000

Yi is quite athletic for his size even in the NBA, and he has a pure jump shot. His problem is not lack of athleticism or kills, but rather poor work ethic.

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

remember he is playing for the nets though, so perhaps the system and coaching staff could explain some of it? he def has a lot to work on, but if he is 22 than i would give him a few more years, maybe on a better team

10. Afterlife

Afterlife Member

Can I write check....
    Yo.....
    Yao. Can I write check.....
    Yo....

That was a great commercial

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

Yao don't possess fantastic basketball skills? This statement only show that you are either a hater or having zero basketball knowledge. If Yao was 7 footer like Duncan, you will see his footwork is as smooth as Duncan and post moves like Hakeem.

As for Yi, if he was not a chinese, he is long dropped from the league. He was given so much opportunities by both bucks and nets but he failed again n again. At most he is a role player coming from the bench. At this stage i will take Bargnani and Gallinari over him and both players sucks too!

12. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

S-C-R-U-B

13. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

To compare yao to scrub yi is a insult to yao

14. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Did OP just call Clutch "the Manager"?

15. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Yao has fantastic basketball skills. When he last played, he had one of the most refined post-up games in the league, a good mid-range shot, and very accurate free throw shooting, which he also did in volume.

Don't insult Yao by saying that Yi is just like him except for 6 inches. Yi's problems are that he hardly ever takes it inside the paint despite being 7 feet tall, and that when he does go inside he's shockingly bad. According to 82games.com Yi has been shooting 0.363 inside the paint this season, which lines up with his performances in previous years. No, that's not a typo, he shoots 36.3% in the paint. 3-point shooting accuracy, only without the benefit of making extra points. Yi's terrible inside. Six-foot point guards have better inside games than him. Rafer's teardrops aren't even that bad.

16. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Yup.

The guy is extremely fluid for his size and very athletic and quick too, probably quick enough to guard SF's some.

17. Karolik

Karolik Member

Yi has the physical assets, but mentally he's not there and probably never will be.

18. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

He is lazy and isn't very good

19. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

He has tools for the NBA but his heart just drove in another direction. As always, a player who has potential at becoming someone in the future just falls short owing to his laziness and lack of competitiveness and enthusiasm for the game. He ain't going nowhere based on the performances he put on as a part of the lowly Nets.

20. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

The problem with Yi was playing under Frank. I live in NJ and i would go watch the nets when they play the Rockets (Obv cheering for the Rockets) or some other big name team like the Magic or the Fakers. From my observation, Frank emphasizes his game plan on taking 2 pt jumpers. There was not much of paint cutting instead there were many high pick and pop. (One of the big reason why they were so TERRIBAED)

The problem with Yi is that he doesn't seem quite active on the court. Most of the time he would just roam around the perimeter and take the threes. I am quite sure the coach has something to do that with that. The reason i said that is because right after Frank got fired, his stats becomes a lot better. He was averaging almost 20 for a few games in a row. Well, i don't even go watch the Nets anymore even tho their tickets are dirt cheap. Therefore i wouldn't know if he still roam around the perimeter anymore. What i do know is that the kid got all the tools to become a better Dirk. Maybe none of you can envision that because of the lack buster performance since day 1, but he does has better tools than Dirk. He is more athletic and a better dribbler. He had also put up some weight. What i think he needs is to change his game a bit into a hybrid instead of a pure shooter. He also needs to be more aggressive in both ends of the court. If he can mix his game with some jab steps/triple threads and some simple cross over dribble. I don't see how he cannot succeed in this league. He can be quite unstoppable if he uses his tools the right way.