1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I was really digging Stone, but after...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 30, 2023.

1. liveguy

liveguy Member

Trade needs to be Tate, KMJ and maybe even KPJ out and one player in to allow time for Amen and Whitmore to get playing time.

fattz and kjayp like this.
  2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

So what were the other options Dennis S? Head Honcho? Nix? Throw a rookie out there and let the chaos on the floor continue? No one would give up their starting pg for what we had so trade wasn’t an option.

He cost us more than we hoped but the team needs structure and discipline sooo bad. The fruit is rotting on the vine with the rookies we do have. Let someone come in that knows how to run the show. It’s time for the rookies to grow up with a leader.

3. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

He’s probably not digging you either ;)

Plowman likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think you're speaking too soon. We don't even know the structure of the deal yet, and the Rockets HAD to spend money to hit the salary floor. How would you feel about this deal if it's descending and he makes something like 30 million in the final year and is a lot more tradeable then? How would you feel if we find out the third year is a team option? How will you feel if the Rockets work out a sign and trade with the Raptors and get some additional assets so that they can pick up that trade exception?

I think they added a great leader and example for this team that's going to make all of our other young guys more effective. And while I would love for this to be the rumored two year deal rather than a three year deal, I can't be mad at this. And I'm very interested in seeing the structure of the deal. I think there are a number of things that could come out that would make this deal much more palatable.

I'm curious. Who would you have preferred they spend this money on? I think they picked up the best two-way point guard on the market.

#25 Williamson, Jun 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
    Jayzers_100 likes this.
  6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've seen him play. I've seen JG play for awhile now. And, I had a strong opinion about Amen before we drafted him.(although the kid oozes class)

That's my whole point.

Collectively, I've seen enough to know we're in trouble.

#26 Plowman, Jun 30, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  7. PWR

PWR Member

Get excited, man. We just gave $130 mil to the 15th or 16th best point guard in the NBA...
    1. Steph
    2. Luka
    3. Murray
    4. Harden
    5. Dame
    6. Irving
    7. Brunson
    8. Shai
    9. Morant
    10. Trae
    11. Haliburton
    12. Garland
    13. Fox
    14. Lamelo
    15. CP3 or FVV???

8. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was here loooooong before him, and could care less.

My love for Houston, and the Rockets is pretty much a bottomless well. It just kills me to see our franchise heading in thiis direction.

groovemachine likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He will be judged by this signing.

DD

GotGame15 and Plowman like this.
  10. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't love 3 years for FVV, 2 would have been much better. But I don't hate it either. It's an overpay but it seems it was the only way to get him. Not sure what we could have done with our cap space that would have been better, just a bit worried about what this does to our flexibility in a couple years.

FVV is a better player than I think some of you are giving him credit for. His efficiency is better than it looks on the surface due to his high volume three point shooting and low turnover rate. His defense is low-key really good for his size. I would rather have an undersized guy who plays hard and smart and doesn't take plays off than a 6'5" guy like KPJ who has low IQ and has inconsistent/poor effort.

Plowman and Jayzers_100 like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@Plowman

I agree.....the idea was big game hunting but keep VanVleet at two
    years so Stones babies (JC, Garuba, Amen, Tate, KMj) can be bought time to develop.

Stone saw all the lesser players get gobbled up and panicked.

Went "Full Re****"

If i was the owner, heads would roll !!

Hire Bob Myers

GotGame15 and Plowman like this.
  12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I've watched a lot of Raptors games and as such seen a lot of FVV play. He is very over-rated on offense and a mediocre shooter. His lack of size makes him unable to man to man defense so he gambles for steals a lot.

This if 1000% an overpay but I guess we have no choice. Hopefully Amen can get an average jumper after a year and we can try to start him, otherwise Amen will be coming off the bench for the next 2-3 years.

DaDakota and Plowman like this.
  13. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Exactly! We had a strong incentive to overpay one or two vets. It would be dumb to pay 4 vets $15m and have to cut young players. This is a “use it or lose it” scenario. The rockets were not desperate. They wouldn’t pay FVV this much to go into the luxury tax. They simply had to meet the salary floor and this was the most logical way to spend the money.

14. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

My God, there are some stupid threads today.

slothy420, lionaire and anthony59237 like this.
  15. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

But were these other guards available? We had a mandate to spend at least $55m. We’re still below the floor after this signing. Do we split the money amongst D’lo, Brooks, Schroeder, and Lopez instead? That would be a logjam.

The simple truth is that the rockets didn’t really hurt themselves. They didn’t overvalue FVV. FVV just got lucky that the rockets HAD TO SPEND this money and it would make no sense to randomly dispense it to other players, particularly if they’re looking for a seasoned floor general to provide leadership

16. The geth & the reaper

Zactly. There’s already enough players who need playing time and using the mandatory cap space available across 4/5 other players would create even more logjams. Rockets don’t need anymore roster maintenance or distractions.

Xopher, CarlosGM and Jayzers_100 like this.
  17. PWR

PWR Member

It is what it is. I was hoping we would finally get serious and add shooters in this off-season. There were some really good shooters in this free agency class and in the draft, and we haven't added any yet. We just gave most of our available $60 mil to a guy that shot 40% fg & 34% from 3 last year.

The only positive I see from this off-season was firing Silas. That should be an extra 10 wins by itself. I'm not a fan of any of the new additions, but you'll see me in the game threads rooting for them next season like I always do. Just have to hope the new shooting coach is a miracle worker because we aren't reaching the play-in or anything else until this team learns to shoot.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If u’d rather have Kyrie’s crazy azz… or get hardens narcissistic butt just so he can pull the ripcord and start retirement early…. Then idk what to tell u, man…. Lol

19. LosRockets2011

LosRockets2011 Contributing Member

Yeah over paying Van Fleet showed them. Lol

PWR likes this.
  20. liveguy

liveguy Member

Richard Jefferson got me hype!

OremLK likes this.