1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't like the definition of YOF, and it divides the fan group

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlefish_220, Jan 26, 2005.

1. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

Because TMac gets consistent stats!

BTW: I see a trend that labeling other YOF is political correct in this Forum, which is somehow a kind of PA.

2. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

its not maybe.. that is exactly what is going on - Sura is a role player leaving it on the court - Yao plays hard and wants to win too

I think some of the problems lie in the differences in the critisms. Rocket fans might criticize Yao because they want him to be better - they don't blame other players shortcomings on him. (no one says its Yao's fault that Wesley can't hit side of a building with a beachball)

If you want to criticize Sura - criticize his free throw shooting or his fouls... but the people getting labeled YOFs are saying its Sura's fault that Yao plays poorly - look - if Yao is fronted and Sura is afraid to throw the ball in because he wants to avoid turnovers - then he may have to look to someone else. - there are only 24 seconds to get the play going

I think you can critize all you want, but just don't blame one player for another player's lack of stats. Yao and Sura both impact the game in positive ways that don't always show up in the box score

and they are both Houston Rockets !

3. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

I will believe it when I SEE it. Are you blind when you see the current team is built around Yao? Where is the real PG? Where is the athletic PF? Where are the shooters? Did you know our backcourt shot a freaking 5-26 FG last night?

Get real. Rockets gutted the team to get T-Mac. I am not saying it is not a good trade. But Rockets lost the athletic PF in Cato and good shooter/perimeter defender in Cat, which would have helped Yao's game tramendously.

CL (Cheap Labeler): Any poster who throw out the YOF labeling the first moment she/he even see a word Yao in it.

CLA (Cheap Labeling Addict): Any poster who even bother to post the six definitions of YOF. Talk about sterotyping people...

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, if your center needs a "real PG" to be able to score and can't score unassisted, then you shouldn't be building a team around him.

Very few, if any, of the great centers played with HOF or even All star point guards.

Shaq? he played with Derek Fisher and Ron Harper - who was a small forward for god's sake

Hakeem - Kenny smith? Decent shooter and passer but he didn't set Hakeem up for scores that much

I guess Kareem played with Magic but that was at the end, well after he had had a hall of fame career.

5. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

I do not in general in dispute with your points. Appearantly, I am not talking about the case when it is impossible or obviously turn-over prone to throw in the ball to Yao, nor am I saying that posters who blame Yao's stats on Sura do not exist.

Just two questions 1) There are enough posts of Sura's lacking of passing skills by accute observors of the game out there, do you care of repute them with valid points?
    2) Do you read my first post about why YOF isn't such a great label to be thrown out liberally?

Thanks.

6. lancet

DavidS, give it up. Your point of Sura is a better offensive option than Yao is never going to stand. Forget about last two games. Look at the season stats.

Yao: 52.5 FG%, 77.7 FT%
    Sura: 42.7 FG%, 75.0 FT%

Yao has a better percentage no matter how many YOH colored glasses you are wearing.

The real difference: Yao is nearly unstoppabled when he is in the paint and guarded one-on-one. Sura is not. Opponents often leave him wild open to challenge him to shoot. Sura just likes to dribble to ball and hope opponents challenge his outside shot so he could make a drive to the basket. However, it is not going to happen very often since opponents know he is a poor shooter.

When Rod "Recreational League" Strickland outplayed Sura last night in only his second game, you know how bad our PG situation is.

If you truely believe Sura is a better offensive option than Yao, then you might as well throw away any dream Rockets is going to be a contender with T-Mac and Yao.

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

So Yao has never been outplayed by his backup before?

8. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

The laughable logic of a YOF. You self annoint YAO fans as "accute observors of the game" and completely ignore the valid points of the many, many posters that have tried to reason with you guys.

9. lancet

A real PG does not to be a star like Nash. A real PG just need to know to throw some good entry pass and shoot. A Fisher will do. A Sura who loves to waive Yao off the low post while single covered will NOT do.

Apparently, that's too much for you to comprehend.

10. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

He isn't as good of a passer as Jon Barry but I really don't see Yao wide open that much where he is blatantly not hitting him for the pass. Yao might get open for a second but the window of opportunity is so small you have to be an incredible passer to hit him in that small moment. Last night PJ Brown was easily keeping Yao from getting position in the low post.

11. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Good God, almighty.:rolleyes:

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

:confused: That's not what he's trying to say! Ugh, lancet, give it up, you can't understand logical reasoning.

13. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

yeah. Great. Now I am a YOF. LOL. Is there any reason you don't reaply to this thread

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread.php?threadid=90427

or reply any of DOD or DaDakoda's posts where he states Sura does have problems in terms of getting Rockets into early offense, in stead of attacking me? Why do you assume I was referring to YOFs when I said accute abservors of the game? Do you think these posters above are YOFs?

Thank you for being exhibit one of why the term YOF isn't such a good term to throw around. :D

14. New Jack

New Jack Member

The way you guys talk, it's as if you think a pure point guard and athletic 4 will suddenly turn Yao into a superstar. It's not.

If you think that the Rockets need a pure point guard and athletic 4 to improve the ROCKETS AS A TEAM, I don't necessarily disagree with that. That's one thing.

If you think the Rockets need a pure point guard and athletic 4 simply to improve YAO and turn YAO into a superstar. I completely disagree with that. Only one person can turn Yao into a superstar and that's Yao himself.

It's impossible for role players to prevent a superstar player from becoming a superstar player. If he's destined to be a superstar, he'll become one, regardless of who's around him. The cream ALWAYS rises to the top.

Now I'm not saying a superstar player doesn't need role players. They do. But they need the role players to help their TEAM, not to help them become better players. Hakeem was a superstar before he ever got any talent around him. Garnett was a superstar before he got any talent around him. Duncan was a superstar before he got any talent around him.

15. lancet

Yes, I understood DavidS logic perfectly. On multiple occasions in the fourth quarter against Magic, Sura waived Yao off when he was singled covered and had the position in the paint. Sura chose to dribble around and around and try to create a shot. Often he passed to another Rocket who would threw up a brick with clock running down. That was when Magic was making a come back.

Through DavidS's colored glasses, any poster who criticise Sura's play is a YOF, while ignoring the fact Sura's ballhog style was disrupting Rockets offense. JVG obviously has seen enough of it so he left Strickland in the game to play extended minutes.

16. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

The definetion of YOH:

A is saying "Yao sucks! damn stupid! he missed that dunk!", and B is saying Yao doesn't suck since he still has the best fgp in this team.
    If A label B as a YOF because of the words B said, A is a YOH.

A is saying "Yao sucks! damn stupid! he doesn't even deserve the allstar spot!", and B is saying allstar game isn't about who the best is, it is a popularity contest.

A is saying "Yao sucks! damn stupid! a foul prone!", and B is saying Yao doesn't suck because he is so fearless to challenge every shot, he also has to stop the opponnets guards from going to basket. Rox guards who are allowing them penetrate should be blamed too.

A is saying "Yao sucks! he is a nothing but a joke!" , and B is saying just trade the joke for a better player to get the team better.
    If A label B as a YOF because of the words Bsaid, A is a YOH.

B is saying Rox should go to Yao early at every game, if Yao can score a few points at the beginning of the game, the opponents would have to double team Yao, so that Rox guards will have their chances to take open shots.
    If A come out and label B as a YOF because of the words he said, A is a YOH.

BTW, if you post "Why Sura no pass Yao ball" to make fun of all english-as-a second-language chinese posters, you are a ...

17. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

You guys make my head explode. Don't you have other things to do besides arguing about YOF, YOH, SuOH, SuOF? Ok, I admit it, I am the ultimate YOF!! just blame everything on me then!

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Go to the Chinese boards, plenty of people hating on Yao there (including but not limiting lot of Beijing people that still think Wang zhi Zhi is better :eek: ). So yes, it is a way to broad of a statement to make. Not all Chinese like Yao, though I certainly do :D .

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

As long as we're blaming people for Yao's problems, the Chinese population should also be partially blamed for Yao's problems. It's obvious the guy doesn't respond well to pressure, so how do you think it feels when a billion people are treating you like you're their Jackie Robinson and you have to represent them well or else you'll bring great shame to all the Chinese people.

You guys are putting him on a pedestal that I don't think he wants to be on.

20. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I still don't understand why we were so furious a few years ago about the fried chicken or collard greens championship dinner joke by Fuzzy Zoeller on Tiger Woods. Can someone fill me in?