1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't like the definition of YOF, and it divides the fan group

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlefish_220, Jan 26, 2005.

1. littlefish_220

With the joining of Yao Ming two years ago, he has become the focus and source of controversy of this forum.

And then somebody invented this word "YOF", Yao-only-fan, followed by many definitions by different persons, including moderators here.

Before discussing the issue of YOF, I want to ask a question for you guys, why do people love rox? Obviously this rox is not entertaining to watch. IMO, there can only be three reasons: 1. You are born in Houston, growing up there, working and living there. To put it simply, you are a local boy, and it is your affection of the city that makes you fall in love with this team. 2. You have some kind of relationship with the town. For example, you stayed for a short time or attended university in Texas, and you started like rox from that time on. 3. Star power. Your like of one player, usually a star player, makes you love this team. It can be SF, can be dream, but yao is obviously dominating in this category.

For the first two groups of fans, your loyalty to the city and the team is above everything else. For the third group, it is very natural that they take the interests of a particular player more seriously. Is that different? Definitely. Some fans care about Yao only because they cares about rox, others care about rox because they care about yao. The starting point is on the two ends.

However, any intelligent fan knows that a play has to excel in term of helping the team to win; on the other hand, a team is shouldered on the particular players. IMO, the common ground is far more than the difference, all of these groups of fans support the team and want the team to win.

Someone defines YOF as if Yao is leaving, they will be leaving. It is probably the truth for many fans following Yao to join the forum. In my case, I don't know, it depends on the situation why yao separates with rox? But even Yao leaves, I will still take rox as my team, maybe my second support team, maybe the first support team. Some guys may say, who cares? We don't need all those fans come and go, or not team-oriented?

Is that true? I don’t think so. Every team enjoys a wider fan base. It can increase your exposure on national TV, it can inflict unseen influences on league officials, and it can make Les have money to buy better players for this team. Ultimately, it is beneficial to the team you love.

What I am going to say is basically it is not good, imo, to divide the fan base as so-called YOF or team-oriented fans. It makes little sense. It seems like to say we are in the different league, and it is hard to connect.

I totally understand this forum is a private one. The founder is entitled to say I only want the fans that forever support rox or whatever. But what I feel is that it does no harm to be more open-minded.

In my definition, there are only two categories of fans: intelligent or not. Intelligent fans know the interests of team is always above that of one player, intelligent fans are tolerant of different opinions, and intelligent fans understand what is best for the winning of rox. Moderators have the right to lock the threads with little value and ban people with bad mouth or keep posting the same kind of thing over and over again. But they should be open to different fans with different backgrounds.

This is just my two cents.

How do you think?

-Littlefish

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I think this has been covered before.....

btw....no one minds if you becomes a fan of a team because of a certian player...

it is when you only care about how that player does is where the problem comes to light...

This is a team....it is bigger than any one player...if the team wins...there shouldnt be all the whining about how one certain player didnt get the stats that you think he deserves......that irritates the other fans that care about the team over the players.

btw....maybe you should actually watch the games before y0ou decree they arent fun to watch....

that may have been true early in the season...but here is a newsflash for you....we have had many 100+ games inthe last month...

download the torrents and watch the game......then you can comment on the play of the team...unless you actually watch...you cant make any statement concerning their style of play.

3. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I cant stand the term either but I notice its kind of common place in BBS forums.

example:

there are alot of Lakers fans that call themselves Kobe Nut Lickers (no pride) but they seem to relish that title. Kobe can do no wrong and the rest of the team stinks.

However, in the end everyone supports the Lakers and wants them to win.

I notice a difference from a few extreme YOF's. Most fans support the team, support its players while still acknowledging that Yao is their fav. player.

But a few "very few" seem to take a different stance that Yao is above the team. I think rooting for your fav. player is great and stronly encouraged however a players stats should not be vauled over the team.

A few hardcore (extreme right wing) YOF's seem to ruin the reputation of many others like myself. People who were drawn to the Rox because of Yao but have fallen in love with the team and all its players (good or bad)

J

4. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

Geez, still talking about this?

:mad: :mad:

5. rvpals

rvpals Member

I totally agreed with you. Little fish, we should just called ourselves Clutchfans or Rockets fans.

6. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

you can call yourselves whatever you want....but if you act like a Yao only fan....that is what you will be referred to as.

remember......the team is more important than any one player..

Im pretty sure Yao knows this...why cant his fans figger it out?

7. xelloss12

xelloss12 Contributing Member

I pretty sure most of his fans have, figured it out that is.

#7 xelloss12, Jan 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  8. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

All theoretical and theological arguments aside.

A lot of this boils done to a turf war. Doesn't it?

9. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

littlefish, you are completely right on this one. YOF is the most OVERRATED/IDIOTIC sports term of all time. It is just a sterotype and a cheap labeling. When certain group of people are losing an argument, they can pull out the all mighty YOF cheap labeling to attempt to even out the arguments. To me they are just certain type of bandwagoners. Since Rockets have T-Mac now, bashing YOF is the new fashion on the board.

When you go to Toyota Center to watch Rockets play, do the security guards ask you if you are a YOF/ TOF/ ROF? Do they turn you away if you are YOF? When you go to nba.com to vote for ASG, do the site ask your if you are a YOF/ TOF/ Kobe-OF/ LeBron-OF and turn away your vote if you are?

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I don't think anyone minds fans following the Rockets because they really like Yao or T-Mac or Clarence Weatherspoon. What gets the "YOF" label tossed around is fans jumping on this board and then b****ing about the team "holding Yao back" or actively rooting for Yao to play for another team. Most Rockets fans take great offense to this because they like Yao, recognize him as a potential championship cornerstone and want him to remain in Houston. The fans here may get frustrated with Yao from time to time because we have such high hopes for him, but nearly every Rockets fan here considers Yao a part of the Rockets family, and the suggestion that he be traded or sign somewhere else is akin to suggesting we disown him (or he disown us) as a family member. You may recall that although there was near-endless b****ing about Steve Francis in the last couple of years, many fans here remain loyal to him and wish for his success. We may have gotten frustrated with Steve, but to many he will always be a Rocket. It's the same with Yao; we moan a lot, but we aren't interested in seeing him in a different jersey.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

If you think Yao's struggles are more a product of others than of Yao, himself...you might be a YOF.

12. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

for a hippieloser...you sure know how to use your mouth.....er....fingers....;)

uh..

anyway...required reading for those posters who think that Rox fans are "hating" on Yao........

13. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I came to clutch city because of Yao, but I want the rockets to win a championship with Yao. Maybe if Yao leaves, I will go back to have Pacers as my favorite team again. However, I care about the rockets and all the players. I loved it when Tracy hit those threes against the Spurs, I enjoyed watching Ryan hitting the game winner a few days ago. That does not stop me from liking Yao the most on the rocket team. I want to see Yao get more touches (shots) when he is hot, it is simple logic in basketball, feed the hot hand. I can not understand it sometimes why his teammates go away from him when he is hot, is that so wrong. If Sura is hot, go ahead and shot the ball. But even when he is not on, he somtimes still fires up many shots which could have been converted into points if he had fed Yao the ball. Even if Yao doesn't score, what is the difference than letting someone else shoot who is very likely to miss the shot anyway. Many of you say you want rocket team to succeed, figure out how to get your highest percentage shooter the ball in the right place would classify as good for the rocket team I would imagine.

I believe somtimes many on this board just want to throw out YOF for the sake of bashing people who have different opions as your own. Of course some of the YOF are too extreme, but that is not the case many times.

I also get frustrated with Yao many times, I thought I could play tougher than him if I was his height :D . But I believe he can still improve his game a lot and he also need the chance to show that can dominate from his teammates.

Mark:)

14. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

The guy actually made some decent points about an issue and all you care about is a little side note regarding the style of play of the Rockets.

You either have reading comprehension or you just like to bash people! It's sad.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

raging...if you hated it before...then you are gonna LOVE this one..

oh btw...to the IL you go...

pirc1....

Scott Padgett

not Ryan
    :p

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

My bad, Scott it is. Hey they are both white look the same to me :D

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Well said

18. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Rockets2K, I admire your work of making videos of Rockets game. To be honest, you are much more talented in doing video editing than defending the YOF cheap labeling. Every post of yours with the word Y O F in it is proving my point.

If you want to argue a point, just argue the point. Stop using the cheap label. Is Yao more important than the team? Nope. Is Sura playing smart by waiving Yao off the low post on multiple occassions when Yao is hot and Sura is cold? Nope. I watched the games multiple times. Sure we won, but it is mainly because Orlando was sucking extremely bad. Are we going to win against a good team playing stupid basketball without T-Mac? Certainly not.

#18 lancet, Jan 26, 2005
  19. happyricky

happyricky Contributing Member

I don't think most YOF take Yao over the team because we do care about Winning. We just care more about Yao than other role players. When the team wins, we want more contribution from Yao, who is regarded as one of the two center pieces. If the team want Yao to be a star, treat him a star on court: design plays around him, involve him more on offence, put the pressure on him as TMac. We all agree TMac is now a better player, who should be the first option in this team. We just don't see the reason that sometimes Yao is only 3rd or even 4th in the team.

I became a Rocket fun because of Dream first then a big fan because of Yao. At the same time, I enjoy watching Spurs, Kings and Lakers, but when they face Rockets I only support this team. I guess a lots of YOF or YF feel the same way as me, and we prefer YF title :D

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

but that is the point.......Yao isnt some random 3rd or 4th option....as I and many others have tried to explain to yall before....

he isnt going to get EVERY play called for him....which is what it seems yall want....

you have to mix up the ball distribution....and also....there are tons of plays where Yao gets the ball and passes out instead of taking the shot....or he is denied the opportunity that the play calls for by the defense....

he is a important part of this team....but sometimes that importance is not directly reflected in any stat other than the win column...

poster after poster has tried to explain this to yall...and it is like you dont read the explanations....yall continue to b**** and scream the exact same gripes every time....that is what gets alot of these fans irritated at yall...

you dont seem to want to hear anything but "it is (insert random players name here) fault that Yao didnt dominate"

instead of looking to see the other factors involved....

I even try to provide footage for you to see so you can see what happens out there...but yall still b****...what are we to do?

just accept that yall are gonna b**** and say nothing?

nope...not here you aint....you want to do that...I recommend the yaoming(mania).com boards...or sohu...or ESPN....we expect a higher level of discourse here...

btw....while I have a moment...

raginfire....

one.....this has been discussed ad nauseum...and it doesnt seem to sink in ...pardon me for not wanting to bother with ANOTHER long winded explanation that yall wont read....

two........I see it way too often....random poster starts b****ing about something that is patently untrue....random poster doesnt actually watch the game...they depend on stats and what others say...

that random poster has ZERO credibility to actually proclaim what they hold as facts unless they have actually watched the games.....this is a fact that can not be denied.....

how can you speak with any certainity about a game that YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED?

answer.....you cant.

that is what I said...there isnt any bashing(btw..kettle...black)...just hard cold facts...dont like that way I say it?

fine...put me on your ignore list cause I aint changing....certainly not for you.

#20 Rockets2K, Jan 26, 2005