1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I don't like the definition of YOF, and it divides the fan group

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlefish_220, Jan 26, 2005.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

YOH PARASITIC BOOTLICKER YOH

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

is YOH a Yao Only Hatah!!???

3. fa7999

fa7999 Member

DavidS, I think that you guys need to put a stop to the debate whether Sura should pass the ball more to Yao. I think that the conclusion had been made. We all know what Sura can do, and what he cannot do. He is the best fit for the Rockets in the current situation. However, in the long run, a natural PG will fit the team better even if he does not grab more boards.

BTW, Sura went 5-6 in the last 2 min from the FT line of the Orlando game when the Magic was desperate to foul us. It was natural that they foul Sura and Barry since they are the guards. As such, Sura was actually 4-8 from the line before the game was decided. Just want to point out a little flaw in your argument because that line 9-12 was skewed, or biased.

4. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade,

Yes, I even do not bother to look at the Thread. I agree htere are a lot of YOF here, sometimes annoying, only way to keep calm down is to ignore that. We do have a few YOH, Also becasue of YOF annoying, or high expect on YAO, some are becoming YOH. Some of us jsut think 7'6" will do what we expect hin to do. THat is not going to happened.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77142

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73630

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73262

There are three started by him that don't really deal with Yao at all. He has started 7 threads total, 3 of which directly deal with Yao, the 3 aftorementioned which don't have much to do with Yao, and then one more about JVG's offense than Yao. Pretty 50/50. And that's the best example you can come up with?

If you really desire, I have little doubt I could find posters whose entire body of posts is about Yao, but I don't think that was ever in dispute.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How can you forget the #1 YOH Juggie?

;)

7. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

YOF is a Perfect Descriptiong of this Type of Fan

There's nothing un-politically correct about it. Much like this greater society we live in, everybody is entitled to their opinion (so long as its not slanderous or racially motivated.) And the posters who freely, and frankly express their zealous opinions about Yao have every right to do so. Much like Rocket2K, I agree with him that not all Yao fans need be Yao only fans. In fact, I'd argue that any Rocket fan, by definition IS a Yao fan. However, in the reverse case, not all Yao fans would seem to be Rocket fans.

There is your definition of a Yao-only fan.

Although these posters are free to express their opinion, few of them care to admit their "Yao-only-bias" b/c they either:

1. aren't aware of their biases
    2. don't care to be labelled a YOF even though they truly are.

Now what are the symptoms of a YOF? Let me count the ways.
    I. YOFs Tend to See Points as a Zero Sum Game Where Yao Is Shafted
    The first part is correct. The number of field goal attempts for any game is finite. However, this notion that other Rocket players seem to rob Yao of more FGAs is just preposterous IMHO.

II. YOFs Tend to Think He is Underappreciated by Van Gundy and the Rocket Organization
    This is baloney too given how patient the Rocket organization has been with Yao and how we've crafted the team with Yao as a keystone.

III. YOFs Tend to Be Hyper-Sensitive and OverReactionary whenever Other Posters Make Any Sort of Remark About Yao
    Inasmuch as I laud YOFs for their passion and loyalty for their favorite player, this is where YOF's get themselves into trouble and where their opinions are clearly exposed as biased. I mean, bottom line is that Yao DOES have off-games, and he should be scrutizined under no different a light than the other players.

IV. YOFs Tend to Think Yao Can Do Better In Another City
    This is just B.S. and pure speculation.

V. YOFs Seem to Think Yao is God.
    What am I to say??? that he's actually human????

That said, I think it's great that we DO HAVE YOFs on this board. As ironic as it may sound, it wasn't too long ago that we had SOF (Steve Only Fans) and S&COF (Steve and Cuttino Only Fans). All the power to them. I think all this makes for lively discussion and even though YOF's tend to get on the bad side of some other posters here, I think in the end, when the Rocket's DO WIN THAT CHAMPIONSHIP, that all the posters will unite and we'll all go out and enjoy some cold ones.

the end.

:p

theSAGE

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Juugie? Ok...

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33955

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52777
    (from above thread)
    It seems that lately we as fans here are falling into camps behind our favorite players and against other players - especially the Steve/Yao debate. The truth is, that they make the game easier for each other. Without Yao, Steve would be getting more doubleteams, and without Steve and Cat on the perimeter, Yao would be collapsed on. They are going to need to maximize all of their skills to be successful. There are going to be games when Yao has a big advantage and we need to milk it. There will be others where Steve has a big advantage on his man and we should milk that. Or Cat, or Mo. Whoever.

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34631

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54963 (Juugie starts a thread to give Yao props

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55666

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59504

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56715

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69060

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76371

http://bbs2.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73116

10 threads for your perousal. Any more "YOHs"?

9. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

too bad I couldn't use the search function so that i can check my facts before i speak. I was under the impression every single post of his was to bash Yao but obviously i missed the above threads he started. in fact, he did bash yao in the second thread above. his anti-Yao vs otherwise is hardly 50/50 by post count. so I still stand by my claim that amed is a YOH and if you have read some of his vicious attacking of Yao, you would agree with me.

i think it's hard to find a YOF as bad as Amed is YOH if you look at their % of Yao post. prove me wrong.

10. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Nice argument. Sura "clutched up" and hit his free throws when the team really needed them. Those were the most important free throws that he hit and a YOF wants to discount them. In last night's game, Yao missed two huge free throws when the team really needed them. Somehow, I expect a YOF to twist that circumstance around to somehow blame a teammate. (Probably that damn Sura).

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

But that's not the point that we are trying to refute. We are fighting against those same posters that say that, even thought he's the only PG we have for the Rockets in the current situation, he still should pass the ball to Yao, even when Yao's covered, even if the Rox loose doing so, even if Sura is making a difference...because they think that any attempt to win the game when it takes shots away from Yao, somehow prevents Yao becoming the "STAR" that every YOF wants him to be.

You understand?

But bashing Sura because he's not the perfect fit is overlooking what he IS doing for the this team now. YOF don't care about that. They only want Yao to be a star. And they blame anyone that doesn't just pass the ball to him. Regardless of wins.

That will never fly around here. Never! :mad:

12. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

this may be true, except for all YOFs on the West Coast who start have these rumors and make false statements because they want Yao to play in THEIR city

13. scutmb

scutmb Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade,

I even do not bother to open the thread. There is no question, there is more YOF than YOH on this site. Because of YOF annoying and since Yao has not achieved high expection by a lot of fans here, some fans are becoming YOH. We have to know, Yao is not going anywhere unless he choice to, which I highly doubt, We have to accept Yao current performance, and hope he continues improving. ALso hope Coach can use his strong part, hiding his weak part.

14. kwik_e_mart

kwik_e_mart Member

Can I instead become an AOF as in Amaechi-Only-Fan? :D

15. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

It's time for me to sound off. I thought we have settled this by 2003, but...

I don't usually mind people use YOF. But it's the mixed notion in YOF that is being thrown here, and posts like this make me really unappreciative of the term.

YOF notion 1. People who cares more about Yao than the Rockets.
    I'm fine with this. People have different allegience. Who am I to say who or which team they should root for?

notion 2. People who would like to promote Yao even if it costs the Rockets.
    These people are unwise, to say the least. They should realize 1) Yao is a part of the team. His achievements are ultimatedly tied and measured by how well the Rockets does. 2) this is a Rockets bbs. They should at least keep their stupid comments to themselves. 3) Yao himself is very appreciative and happy with the Rockets organization.

notion 3. People who don't understand the basketball, or in extreme cases are nutcases.
    Sure. There are some out there who say ridiculous things. But what does that have to do with Yao, or Yao fan? There perhaps are some who are vocal about "pass the ball to Yao" and who don't always have the best judgement when to say it. However, I believe there are equal number of fans on this BBS who don't understand basketball, or otheriwse immature or nutcases in extreme cases, and bashes Yao, or bashes YOF, or bashes whoever voice "pass yao the ball" in any circumstances.

Further more. Most of us are casual fans. Even if we are die hard long term fans, we are not the coaches. Some of us will have different judgements on different plays, on how it should be run. But, when YOF is hurl sround whenever a person's judgement of a play does not confirm to the belief of the majority, especially with plays involving Yao, then there is a problem.

notion 4. YOFs are all Chinese. Chinses Fans are YOFs.
    Deduction of notion 4: Hense Chinese fans are fans who want Yao to succeed in sacrifice of the Rockets. They don't usuall understand basketball, and in a lot of cases are nutcases or at least ridiculously stupid.
    Now I know, most of the people who throw out YOF label don't mean this. However, with the mixed notions and the posts like I quoted, one, especially if you are a Chinese, has to wonder why YOF label is throwing around so easily, and be unappreciative about it. What aggregates the situation is that the above two posters that I quote here are all long term boarded members who are respected here. It does give some people the urge to use YOF whenever someone have some argument that is against the majority view of the BBS, or simply his own view.

In conclusion, I do think the YOF lable is sometimes unfair because of its mixed notion. And I feel uneasy about it sometimes as a Chinese myself. I dont since this YOF thing will die easy. We've been through enough of that. But I do hope people will be more discrete in using this term.

peace.

16. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

good post

as a Rockets fan who loves Yao's game, let me say that coaching can only go so far

Yao needs some shooters that will consistently HIT those open shots he creates

... Yao needs another big body down low to get rebounds so he (instead of Howard and Taylor) can step out to the 15 foot mark and shoot the J every now and then - right now, when he does that there is no one there to rebound

17. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Now let's throw out more basketball related food for thought. I'll use Sura and Yao's play as an example, since it's an often debated topic here.

Sura is IMHO a great addition to the Rockets. He hustled, provides energy, penetrates, rebounds great. All are what the Rockets needed right now. But, the guy has limitations, especially as a starting 1. He shoots quite poorly from outside, except for a stretch of maybe 2-3 games. Plus he has a scorer mentality playing as a PG. How many 2 for 8, 1 for 7 games have we seen so far? He sometimes doesn't get Rockets into early offense.

Yao, is a very good player, with geat potential. He has his limitations too. He sometimes plays not aggressive enough, sometimes plays with too much things on his mind, caring too much. He has a slow reaction. But he hustles. He maybe play passive, but he plays hard.

Now, whenever someone criticise Sura of his shortcomings, even just on one aspect of the game, or one play, the general reaction is "What? Sura plays with great energy, he's the x-factor. what are you criticising him for?" "If you have anything bad to say about Sura, you must be a YOF", "he may have some problems, but he's reason we are winning, so quit all and any of your criticism", or "shut up, Sura is the best option we have". If the person is a Chinese poster, many posters will jump on him. Funny that I've seen DOD or Dakoda, (I don't remember which one), expressed same sentiment about Sura's limitations and occasional bad plays, no one jump on him, or agree with him. I believe sometimes, so-called YOFs who gets bashed simply don't have adequate language skills to put it as eloquent as he does, but means the same thing. (BTW, I do acknoledge that there are posters who unfairly/overly criticise Sura out there).

Now, when the table turned to Yao, the general sentiment is "Yao needs to be more aggersive" "Yao has butter fingers" and such. No one, at least of those who throws YOF around is saying: "Yao may have limitations or makes mistakes, but he's a major reason we are winning. What are you critisize him for, especially after we wins?" or "that's just one play, get over it, YOH?", or "shut up, Yao is the best option we have".

Now I'm not saying Yao should not be criticised for his mistakes. I'm just pointing out the difference in reaction. Maybe, it's because of the overdose after the annoyance of some of the so-called YOF. Maybe, the standards for Yao are much higher than that for Sura, which are all understandable. But the difference in reaction exists, which I believe is the reason why some poster thinks YOH are more than their actual number.

Now that I've said it. This thread can be closed. :D

#137 michecon, Jan 27, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  18. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Very spot on. YOF term is a cheap labeling product of intolerant, though creative, people. Blanket YOF labelling is getting popular because it is cheap to do. It is fashionable now since this team has T-Mac as the best player.

YOF Labeler = CL (Cheap Labeler)
    YOH Labeler = CL (Cheap Labeler)

19. New Jack

New Jack Member

Instead of YOF, would it be better if we simply called you a troll?

How are you any different than the MemphisX’s of the board?

20. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Heh. I like the creativity. ;)